Hi Folks

I've been playing for about 5 years, but with very little knowledge about amps; I was always broke and new equipment was rare so I never got to know much about it. Luckily, I'm making some dough and I need some advice on a new amp. I have some pretty high-end guitars so I need a decent amp. Here's a short list of some details:

Size - Just for bedroom (I'm working overseas and I want something under 10kg when
I leave)
Type - Best Valve amp I can find (I think a little stack would be my best bet)
Music Style - Varied (From Experimental pop to fusion jazz to hard rock)
Other notes - I'm going to mic it for recording and I don't need any fancy effects
or drive channels since I rely on my pedal board for all that.
Budget - Let's say between $1000 - $1500

Thanks folks
Baron Snott Watt? I think it has great cleans and a fantastic drive channel, so it should cover your bases.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Why not get a decent amp that way you don't have to use a shitty pedal for distortion?

With your budget I would say mesa mark IV.

Could you be a little more specific on what type of sound you are after?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Why not get a decent amp that way you don't have to use a shitty pedal for distortion?

With your budget I would say mesa mark IV.

Could you be a little more specific on what type of sound you are after?

Thanks man

Nah, I've always been a pedal man; I love my Fulldrive 2 and Riot pedals. I rely on my
pedals to get my sound, I just want an amp that's not going to hold back my guitars.
I like a nice warm (not too fat) tone.
+1 to HT5, if you get the 1x10 combo you can get an extension 1x10 and have nice little bedroom "ministack" with killer tone and flexibility, nice effects loop, and the ISP tone shaper gives youa marshally tone and a more American sounding tone.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Awesome, I'm liking them both. Only from YT listens though. I'm in South Korea for a while so I'll be heading out to Nakwon to check em out. The Fender does seem to be a bit more versatile, but it's a bit too big. I'm shipping my stuff home sometime next year and I have a 50kg weight limit (the Fender is about 20kg), and I've still got my keyboard, 3 guitars and my pedal board to chuck in.

I'm loving the Blackstar too, the size is great. But, I'm making a list of all the amps I plan to check out. Pretty shitty though, although Nakwon is the largest music store in the world, American and British gear is effing expensive. Anyway, I found an awesome Youtube amp shootout, if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaCn2wgLw
Quote by hwknight
Awesome, I'm liking them both. Only from YT listens though. I'm in South Korea for a while so I'll be heading out to Nakwon to check em out. The Fender does seem to be a bit more versatile, but it's a bit too big. I'm shipping my stuff home sometime next year and I have a 50kg weight limit (the Fender is about 20kg), and I've still got my keyboard, 3 guitars and my pedal board to chuck in.

I'm loving the Blackstar too, the size is great. But, I'm making a list of all the amps I plan to check out. Pretty shitty though, although Nakwon is the largest music store in the world, American and British gear is effing expensive. Anyway, I found an awesome Youtube amp shootout, if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaCn2wgLw

That video was just awful. Do yourself a favor and ignore anything Rob Chappers makes/says/does.

+1 to the Mesa, Baron and CEC. Way better than a poopy Blackstar.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Let me know if you are interested in a CEC TFX. I have one for sale.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Jan 18, 2013,
Mesa/Boogie TransAtlantic TA-15 + cab

PRS Sweet 16 Combo (slightly out of budget tho)
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Let me know if you are interested in a CEC TFX. I have one for sale.
This. Buy the lizard man's and you'll have money left to buy a nice cab to go under it. It's no contest imo. Just buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification