Just wanted to put it out there that I just received my 6505+ and thought I would share that it's an absolute beast for metal...

Been trying to match a sound comparable to what you might hear from KSE, Shadows Fall, etc... Metal-core stuff...And this thing matched it right up!

Running it straight up stock, with a Maxon od808 in to the face plate...On the distortion channel.

Sounds mint...
yeah they're badass for those tones. for all the proclamations that "you can play any style of music on any kit" that a lot of people make, it sure makes it a lot easier if you're using suitable kit
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah they're badass for those tones. for all the proclamations that "you can play any style of music on any kit" that a lot of people make, it sure makes it a lot easier if you're using suitable kit

Dave, and many thanks to you for being a great help on this message board...

Maybe you can help me with one other quick question i had.

when running the od808, say I want to switch channels over to the clean (rhythm) channel, how do I set this up, so i don't have to go click the channel switch for the amp, and also click the switch on the od808 to turn it off? (this may be an idiot type question, just still new to all of this)

Thanks again Dave
IS there a way to do it, so your only having to hit one switch? (maybe this is why the pros are using two amps (one for clean, and one for distortion)
Yes you can do that, but I'm not sure you want to spend the amount of money it will cost.

Actually does your amp have a MIDI out? it would require one to do this.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes you can do that, but I'm not sure you want to spend the amount of money it will cost.

Actually does your amp have a MIDI out? it would require one to do this.

I don't think it does.
Quote by tsg31t
I don't think it does.

Then it would cost probably as much as your combo to get the right things, but with out MIDI it would be pretty hard and expensive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's my trick. Say you are playing with distortion and you need to go to clean. On the last measure of the riff, lets say in 4/4 time, you go 1 2 3 4 then boom clean part. Do it like this:

1 2 3 4(hit the od808) then hit the channel button right on the down beat of the clean part. You'll have a single beat of music where you're only using the 6505 and no od808, but it'll be hardly noticeable and you'll have a little moment to move your foot over to the channel button

Edit: just t clarify, I'm saying you turn the od808 off right as you hit the 4th beat of the measure
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by ibanezguitars44 at Jan 18, 2013,
You could just switch the distortion channel off and roll back your volume knob on the guitar to get a sweet clean tone...808's clean up good.
Quote by Robbgnarly

+1

Quote by ibanezguitars44
Here's my trick. Say you are playing with distortion and you need to go to clean. On the last measure of the riff, lets say in 4/4 time, you go 1 2 3 4 then boom clean part. Do it like this:

1 2 3 4(hit the od808) then hit the channel button right on the down beat of the clean part. You'll have a single beat of music where you're only using the 6505 and no od808, but it'll be hardly noticeable and you'll have a little moment to move your foot over to the channel button

Edit: just t clarify, I'm saying you turn the od808 off right as you hit the 4th beat of the measure

+1 - this is what I used to do before I invested in having my rig set up with channel switching functionality programmed into my GT-10. It really is barely noticeable.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah that's the move for sure. or just headbang so low you can switch them with your face. to the rhythm of course.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
I just got one on Monday and I agree, iv been loving it. Haven't even gotten to open it up much yet, only been as loud as 2 on the post gain lead channel.
You won't be able to switch amp channels and the od808 without some expensive rack gear. You would need a Midi footcontroller, Voodoo labs GCX switcher (or similar product), and a custom cable to go from the 6505+ footswitch jack into the switcher. That will run at least $500 if you go used I would say.

What I do is use my RP1000 for my clean tones by bypassing the preamp of the 6505+ and then with one button press I can have it route the signal to the 6505 and my TS9 for my high gain tone. The Boss GT10 and Line 6 POD HD500 could do this too. I've been meaning to do a NGD for my RP1000 as I haven't seen much talk about it but I've been out of town.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by tsg31t
Dave, and many thanks to you for being a great help on this message board...

Maybe you can help me with one other quick question i had.

when running the od808, say I want to switch channels over to the clean (rhythm) channel, how do I set this up, so i don't have to go click the channel switch for the amp, and also click the switch on the od808 to turn it off? (this may be an idiot type question, just still new to all of this)

Thanks again Dave

no problem

yeah i struggle with that problem too As everyone else has said, there are maybe ways to do it but it can get expensive. or you can do a half-assed fix like putting them close enough together than you can hit both with one foot (or even put a wee bit of wood over the two pedals' switches so you can hit both at once? never tried that but i've heard people say that might work)
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
no problem

yeah i struggle with that problem too As everyone else has said, there are maybe ways to do it but it can get expensive. or you can do a half-assed fix like putting them close enough together than you can hit both with one foot (or even put a wee bit of wood over the two pedals' switches so you can hit both at once? never tried that but i've heard people say that might work)

That might just work!

Dave, lol, another question...

I see a lot of pros using a Boss NS-2 Noise suppressor. What is it that they are trying to achieve by using this pedal?
Quote by tsg31t
That might just work!

Dave, lol, another question...

I see a lot of pros using a Boss NS-2 Noise suppressor. What is it that they are trying to achieve by using this pedal?

You use it to cut down the humming/feedback when playing high-gain amps.
I use the MXR Smart Gate last in my pedal chain. But I have it set very low so that my notes are not cut off by the gate.
My pedal chain goes
Guitar>Tuner>Morley Bad Horsie 2>Bad Monkey> GFS Greenie>MXR

It works really good for me and it only cost $49 used and it is a $135 pedal new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You use it to cut down the humming/feedback when playing high-gain amps.
I use the MXR Smart Gate last in my pedal chain. But I have it set very low so that my notes are not cut off by the gate.
My pedal chain goes
Guitar>Tuner>Morley Bad Horsie 2>Bad Monkey> GFS Greenie>MXR

It works really good for me and it only cost $49 used and it is a $135 pedal new.

Ok...Great...Thank you.
how would it compare to an original 5150/6505?

what are the tonal differences?

this is my dilemma right now. i was going to get a 5150 but i played my friend's 6505+ and it was great
yeah it's just generally about cutting noise or high gain hiss as robbgnarly said
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by BoneAndDream
how would it compare to an original 5150/6505?

what are the tonal differences?

this is my dilemma right now. i was going to get a 5150 but i played my friend's 6505+ and it was great

From what i understood, the 5150 is the exact same amp as the 6505...the 5150 was a title name owned by Eddie Van Halen, and when he left Peavey they had to switch the name in order to keep selling the amp... Correct me if am wrong, but that's what i was told by the local music shop here in town.
With the 6505 + the plus just means it has an EQ for each channel. The 6505 is two channels with only one EQ for both.
^^ correct, but the 6505+/5150II have an extra preamp tube also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tsg31t
From what i understood, the 5150 is the exact same amp as the 6505...the 5150 was a title name owned by Eddie Van Halen, and when he left Peavey they had to switch the name in order to keep selling the amp... Correct me if am wrong, but that's what i was told by the local music shop here in town.

i know that, but what i want to know basically, is:

which is more aggressive and brutal, the original or the +
I think the 5150/6505 is the most agressive, the 5150II/6505+ is a little smoother and has a better clean ch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My riffage is still more brutal... super jelly btw...

HNAD?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Robbgnarly
I think the 5150/6505 is the most agressive, the 5150II/6505+ is a little smoother and has a better clean ch

x2.

The preamps are different. The + is smoother with better cleans. The 5150/6505 is more balls out brutal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
My riffage is still more brutal... super jelly btw...

HNAD?

Are we going to need a contest to prove this?...I see your in Minnesota as well.
Happy
New
Amp
Day

or HNAD
post some pics and a review to show people on UG what you got
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tsg31t
Are we going to need a contest to prove this?...I see your in Minnesota as well.

Yeah, come on up here. I'll lay down Hammer Smashed Face or Phobophile, most likely... come up to Fargo, we'll do this.

I play electric through an Ampeg SS140C so it's not much of a competition...

Totally got the 4x12 ready for one though!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 19, 2013,