I bought my Les Paul Traditional back in August, and recently i have come across the problem that the high e string slips off of the fretboard with incredible ease. even a simple pull off will do it. I've read a few other forums with people with this trouble saying its a genuine fault in the guitar , not just the playing. Its under a 3 year warranty and I've only owned it about 6 months. Will i be listened to if i take it back?? or will they tell me its my fault?
How often does it happen? I mean, it not incredibly rare to pull the string off the fretboard so if it happens once in a while you shouldn't be worrying.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That's really weird.

I don't know what would make it do that. The only thing I can think of is a nut that isn't cut properly. I wish I could be more help.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
There are a couple things that could be causing it. Mis-cut nut, mis-slotted saddles, misplaced neck, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Well I never really noticed it before.. the string sort of slips into the binding and cuts the note dead I live quite away from the shop i bought it from so i want to know they wont just send me away..
Quote by mmolteratx
There are a couple things that could be causing it. Mis-cut nut, mis-slotted saddles, misplaced neck, etc.

But would they have to do that for me? or even replace it?
Quote by Charlie1237
But would they have to do that for me? or even replace it?

Yeah, they'd have to do it if you don't know what you're doing. You still have the warranty right?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
yeah i have a 3 year warrantee and ive only had it 6 months, are they more likely to replace it or try and fix it?
Theyd probably fix it considering its probably a minor repair.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Charlie1237
What would most likely need changing? the nut?

I don't know man, I don't have the guitar in front of me to see what's wrong.

Don't go into the shop and say I need my nut replaced just because it's what we're assuming. Tell them the problems you're having with the guitar and they'll sort it out.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
No problem. I hope you get your guitar fixed soon. It sucks being away from your baby.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Just to be clear, you thought that maybe the binding that is connected to the fret might be a bit crappy? Have you looked at all the binding on the edge of the fretboard? You'd notice one being different I guess.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Charlie1237
yeah i have a 3 year warrantee and ive only had it 6 months, are they more likely to replace it or try and fix it?

If you are not the first owner who bought it new - you will not have any warranty AFAIK
Quote by paruwi
If you are not the first owner who bought it new - you will not have any warranty AFAIK

Not from Gibson, who offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner but perhaps where the TS purchased it they are offering a warranty.
TS you should post some pics showing the position of the High E string relative to the edge of the fingerboard at the top and bottom of the neck.
Moving on.....
i did buy it brand new, with 3 year warranty. I'll try and post some photos tomorrow when there is a better light.
Quote by KenG
Not from Gibson, who offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner but perhaps where the TS purchased it they are offering a warranty.
TS you should post some pics showing the position of the High E string relative to the edge of the fingerboard at the top and bottom of the neck.

Gibson's warranty is only applicable for guitars purchased in the US. Any purchased elsewhere are warranted for a period set by the distributor, which is usually considerably shorter than Gibson's lifetime.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have the same problem with lots of guitars during this time of year. As it is colder, the wood contracts a little, leaving fret ends and/or binding in place, creating a lip where the 1st string can snag.
If this is the trouble you're having (i.e. you did not have this problem during warmer months) then it's not something you should 'fix'; any moving of the fret, binding, nut or board will then cause problems once it gets warmer again.

Try leaving the guitar in a hardcase in a relatively warm, heated room for a couple of days, opening the case every few hours. You may find the problem goes away.

Of course, there could be other, actually technical faults which do need to be fixed. But it would be smart to rule out the common prolems with seasonal changes before you go paying anybody to mess with the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Do you mean that the string is rolling over the side of the fretboard because the nut slot is too close to the edge, or that the string is popping out of the nut? I just bought a Gibson last month and the first string nut slot is more of a tiny groove than a slot. It works for me, but I can see how someone with really sloppy technique would need to get the slot lowered.
Quote by jpnyc
Do you mean that the string is rolling over the side of the fretboard because the nut slot is too close to the edge, or that the string is popping out of the nut? I just bought a Gibson last month and the first string nut slot is more of a tiny groove than a slot. It works for me, but I can see how someone with really sloppy technique would need to get the slot lowered.

Thats it TS, you just have really sloppy technique

Pictures would be a big help, it may be the nut or the fretwork, and I guess arguably it could be poorly built, no way to know without seeing it
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12