The title pretty much says it all, I'm looking for a good neck supplier that isn't exorbitantly expensive. I was looking at warmoth but I just don'g have $250 for a neck. Does anyone know where I might get a 7 string baritone neck?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
That isnt a common type of neck. You are probably not going to find another place that has one cheaper.

+1
You can always build your own for <$100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I actually could do that, , seeing as the body I have is made of plywood, maybe I'll go buy a 2x4 to make it from . In all reality, what'll probably end up happening is I'll get get the wood-working bug, get my piece of black walnut planed to a flat surface, then get a piece of interestingly figured wood to match my interestingly figured black walknut and make a 2 piece body.

I don't have any tools for neck making, no radius blocks or things like that. I guess I could just go at it with a sander till it feels right.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
then what do you suggest? If I'm going to go spend $300 on luthiers tools I might as well just go buy the neck that I can't afford.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
I wasn't attempting to sound short, I've been doing that alot lately, sorry. I might just go buy an extended scale 7 string I found for $200 and take the neck from that.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Jan 21, 2013,
Don't let these guys discourage you, I've been absent for a long time, but they are still the same gear-heads as ever.

I'd suggest trying to build whatever the heck you want, worst case scenario, you'll end up learning something. Best case? You'll have a neck to your liking AND experience.

Think about it.
If you did try to radius the fretboard, don't just sand it.

Print of some radius guides and cut them out. Plane fretboard 'til it matches.
Get a spokeshave for radiusing the neck. They are buttcheap and work great. Do the rough outline with that and file and then start sanding it smooth. Building a neck is not as troublesome as it seems. Just make sure you move at a pace approriate to you and remember, measure thrice cut once. I didn't and know my selfbuild neck has asymetric holes for the tuners
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Quote by pinguinpanic
Get a spokeshave for radiusing the neck. They are buttcheap and work great. Do the rough outline with that and file and then start sanding it smooth. Building a neck is not as troublesome as it seems. Just make sure you move at a pace approriate to you and remember, measure thrice cut once. I didn't and know my selfbuild neck has asymetric holes for the tuners

You can only use a spokeshave on it if it isnt already slotted, or else it will chip the slots.

EDIT:
Unless you and the original poster are talking about the BACK of the neck. Which isnt commonly paired with "radiusing".
Last edited by Explorerbuilder at Jan 22, 2013,
Ah sorry misread that. I meant the back of the neck yes. I don't know much about radiusing at all but the world wide interwebs surely will supply with whatever knowledge you need.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You can only use a spokeshave on it if it isnt already slotted, or else it will chip the slots.

EDIT:
Unless you and the original poster are talking about the BACK of the neck. Which isnt commonly paired with "radiusing".

I will probably end up buying/making a radius block, From what I can tell, it appears as though they draw a circle defined by the radius of the block, then take a segment of it. To elaborate, I believe the way this goes is that a 7 1/4 radius block would be made from a circle with a 14.5" diameter, then they take a segment of that and put some sanding material on the bottom. Would I be correct on this assumption?

I plan on shaping the neck with tedious detail with a sander, to an Ibanez-esque profile that's almost flat. and buying maybe a couple fingerboard tools. I think I already actually have a slotting saw.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
www.stewmac.com have wood radius blocks for as low as $9ish and they also have aluminum radius blocs also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
not quite sure how I missed that, for some reason all I could find was the $130 aluminum one, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend $130 on a fret tool I'll use once.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.