Page 18 of 18
Quote by Morphogenesis26

Also, since the actual off-topic thread is barely alive, what's the odds of making this the chat thread? Or have the mods died?

Are you completely batty? This thread is much more than just an off-topic chat thread. It is social entropy... Chaos! Plus, not only has it been able to generate both unbelievably intelligent and unbelievably stupid conversation and switch topics almost instantaneously, It has practically asexually spawned it's own sentient personality - lead guitar89. If something were to happen to this thread, this chaotic social entropy would spread to the rest of the forum like the smoke monster on Lost.

And for the first time since this thread's inception I actually have something of substance that relates to the actual OP. I once dreamed of a music video in which guitar-wielding skeletons decapitated themselves whilst shredding amidst a battlefield where armies of alien machines waged war with one another. Something so purely brutal, so purely metal, could only have come from the heavy metal gods in the form of a prophetic vision which I have been chosen to bare witness to.
Last edited by Kytokinesis at Feb 13, 2013,
Quote by Kytokinesis
And for the first time since this thread's inception I actually have something of substance that relates to the actual OP. I once dreamed of a music video in which guitar-wielding skeletons decapitated themselves whilst shredding amidst a battlefield where armies of alien machines waged war with one another. Something so purely brutal, so purely metal, could only have come from the heavy metal gods in the form of a prophetic vision which I have been chosen to bare witness to.

Ok...so, aurally, how did that vision work? What types of sounds are we talking? Details, details!

Quote by HaydenHohns
@crazysam23_Atax: You might want to investigate Guitar Rig 5 Pro. I use that for my guitar sounds now. It's really versatile and only cost me ~200 AUD. That will definitely be under 500 USD (I'm guessing most people are from there).

Well, as cheap as that is, I'm a poor university student. I don't have $200 US. (I looked it up, and that's how much it costs.) I might save up for it in the future, but right now...I'm mostly using free VSTs. I tend to use LeGion and LeCto for rhythm gtr. amps. I'm fairly new to recording. Once I get more experience, I'm sure I'll get more fancy stuff (like $200 virtual rigs ).

@Cavalcade:
I don't think anyone is saying that BM is always lo-fi with non-advanced arrangements.
In fact, I love atmospheric BM, and any recs would be great. Thanks for what you already rec'd.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 13, 2013,
Since I guess this is turning into a rec thread...
Lead_Guitar89, from what I can tell, you seem to think that all black metal is scratchy, dissonant noise about sucking flaming demons out of Satan's genitals. And apparently this is a recommendation thread now, so here: have some black metal songs about things that aren't Satan's junk, and are built around atmosphere and melodies.

Catamenia - Kuolon Tanssi: A way underrated band, with a fast, bitter, melodic track about the afterlife and reincarnation.
In Flames - Stand Ablaze: Yes, In Flames, but really early In Flames. I swear this album is closer to black metal than anything else.
Moonsorrow - Muinaiset: I never miss a chance to bring them up. The song starts at 1:30; it has a ton of simple melodies that blend together to make a giant wall of sound.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Feb 13, 2013,
Quote by Kytokinesis
Are you completely batty? This thread is much more than just an off-topic chat thread. It is social entropy... Chaos! Plus, not only has it been able to generate both unbelievably intelligent and unbelievably stupid conversation and switch topics almost instantaneously, It has practically asexually spawned it's own sentient personality - lead guitar89. If something were to happen to this thread, this chaotic social entropy would spread to the rest of the forum like the smoke monster on Lost.

You're just trying to distract us from the real truth with this post: The mods died.

R.I.P. Carlton

R.I.P. The Scottish Guy

R.I.P. Ronald Jenkees
@crazysam23_Atax: So am I! It's ok though, some people manage differently to others so I won't judge.

When I've finished one of my new pieces I'll put it up so you can hear the sounds I'm getting from it. I'll also share the presets I'm using if they entice you.

@Kytokinesis: Hang on a sec though. I already mentioned I'm an awful physicist but doesn't the system entropy always increase (or stay the same)? Are you saying this thread should be maintained in order to keep social entropy where it is? I'm so confused.

Also, I approve of your dreams. Sounds brutal ( ). I can't remember the last time I dreamed.

@Cavalcade: You also did me a favour by bringing up Catameniam, so thanks. I think I know where your username comes from now.

Also, in general to everyone observing this post, check out Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto II below. I love the tonality of the piece. Also, Morphogenesis26, this might be up your alley as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_VCbnqbwwA
;-; Stop making me want more music.

I'm also waiting on my shipment of that Inquisition album. I ordered it last night and will be getting it Saturday, hopefully. I want to thank this thread for showing me a band that kicks my ass unlike many. It's rare I find bands like that.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You need to filter pretty much every guitar sound ever, that low end Rumble is pretty much always there unless you're using EMG's.

You're right. When I use my POD GX for recording, I notice that htere is a low definition of my solos over the rhythm track, because the low end doesn't sound properly.
Quote by Kytokinesis

Oh my God! You made all this "philosopher's speech"just to insult me? that's an honor man!!!
What kind of substance make you dreaming like that?
Last edited by Lead_Guitar89 at Feb 14, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
You're just trying to distract us from the real truth with this post: The mods died.

R.I.P. Carlton

Hi hi
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Cavalcade
If you mean "does anyone else check this thread every five minutes", no. No, we do not.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!
@Morphogenesis26: Sorry man, or were you talking to Cavalcade? Or both of us? Congrats on the purchase anyway. I haven't listened to any of the older stuff but Metallum indicates they're all very good, (80%+ ranking) so you can be Hardcore like me and listen to only bands that have lots of music and are deemed worthy enough to listen to since they are unique to your collection.

Anyway, slight update. The new recording equipment is going really well. The monitors sound fantastic and I'm so inspired by the new ways in which I can use my Korg Microstation. I've also started the composition/recording (it happens at the same time now) and it is slowly taking form. All the chords for each theme has been written and ideas for each section in terms of instrumentation, harmony/dissonance, arrangements/structure and dynamics are done. Now I need to compose melodies and riffs, which will hopefully fall into place.

Stylistically, I'm not sure where this sits. There is a lot of Electronic influence (despite me listening to very little Electronic music) in terms of instrumentation but the chord progressions are not very tonal, so I'd say Impressionism falls into the cooking pot too. In terms of Metal, maybe Anubis Gate and Nevermore? I'm not sure, I haven't gotten that far through the piece yet (still doing the ambient/epic intro).

@Lead_Guitar89: Yes, we most definitely are alive. Also, you might want to check out Nightmare Records, they have a lot of Prog/Power Metal bands on their roster. The first few that come to mind are Scelerata, Myrath and Anubis Gate. But their are many more. So I insist you check that out.
Quote by Cavalcade
You laugh, but it's true.

What? You've been watching me??? Are you CIA or something?
Quote by HaydenHohns
@ron666: It's already happening now. We have things like Guitar Rig Pro 5 and Fractal Audio's Axe FX. So now we can do everything through software/racks if we choose. As a Mathematician/Electrical Engineer in training, I would definitely like to contribute to this field if possible. That said, it would be interesting if some new technology just came around the corner that was totally different.

Well I did not know that. The most technology that I am aware of for musical purposes is Garageband, which is pretty limited and does not work very well with recorded guitar sounds. I know because I tried and it does not work. But it is nice to know that there is technology out there right now that works better.

Thanx for the info.

ron666
Quote by ron666
Well I did not know that. The most technology that I am aware of for musical purposes is Garageband, which is pretty limited and does not work very well with recorded guitar sounds. I know because I tried and it does not work. But it is nice to know that there is technology out there right now that works better.

Thanx for the info.

ron666

If you're interested in learning more, head over to the recordings forum. I got fairly decent start-up stuff for about $200, based upon the recommendations in the stickies there. The best part is, a lot of VSTs (basically plug-ins that go into your DAW*) are free. So, if you don't have oodles of money like my poor university student self, then you can make decent recordings without paying an arm and a leg.

*Digital Audio Workspace, like Garageband is a DAW; albeit a VERY TERRIBLE one.
Quote by technicolour
anyways this thread ran its course 34 pages ago.

/reported

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Z6v6gxvII

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE THIS CHOCOBO!?
SADDLE UP IF YOU THINK YOU CAN RIDE THIS RODEO
EVERYBODY'S GONNA WANT TO RIDE YOUR CHOCOBO
GONNA RIDE HIM STRAIGHT THROUGH HELL IN THIS ****IN CHOCOBO RODEO
My english has been improved, so I understood that many of you may have misunderstood me because of my not so good knowledge of the language. By reading this thread again I realised that the problem was that I couldn't express my thoughts and feelings clearly. It's my fault that I didn't have good knowledge of the language. So I ask anyone who may have been offended by my posts to forgive me.
that sounds like worms emerging from a broken asshole
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Metals future is however good of a songwriter ventures down that avenue. The potential is there, everyone focuses on technicality and in the end it makes them not only bad musicians but bad technically where we have a horde of millions of metal musicians playing robotic bad music because they don't understand how to make something sound good. Training in classical music from pianists such as Chopin would teach more people how to actually sound good. It's dynamic and tonal control that gives a musician power.

Take Steve Vai for instance, hailed as one of the best guitar players ever. A keen ear will recognize he's not that good because he is so weak dynamically that often times his playing just blends into itself and becomes monotonal. Or Malmsteen, the dude misses almost half the notes and the ones he does hit are 99% the same tone, and he doesnt even realize it thinking its fine. The bar is set so low in metal, Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick are 2 of the few metal guitarists I've witnessed actually play dynamically while also hitting all the notes clearly (I guess Buckethead and Adam Jones are in the same ballpark too). Turn down the distortion on most metal guitarists and you will hear a jumbled mess. A million genres of metal and nary a musician to be had.
Last edited by farcry at Jul 27, 2014,
Quote by Lead_Guitar89
My english has been improved, so I understood that many of you may have misunderstood me because of my not so good knowledge of the language. By reading this thread again I realised that the problem was that I couldn't express my thoughts and feelings clearly. It's my fault that I didn't have good knowledge of the language. So I ask anyone who may have been offended by my posts to forgive me.

Holy shit LOL I've had this thread stickied for like a year. Good to know my live animal sacrifices to resurrect you have finally succeeded.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by farcry
Metals future is however good of a songwriter ventures down that avenue. The potential is there, everyone focuses on technicality and in the end it makes them not only bad musicians but bad technically where we have a horde of millions of metal musicians playing robotic bad music because they don't understand how to make something sound good. Training in classical music from pianists such as Chopin would teach more people how to actually sound good. It's dynamic and tonal control that gives a musician power.

Take Steve Vai for instance, hailed as one of the best guitar players ever. A keen ear will recognize he's not that good because he is so weak dynamically that often times his playing just blends into itself and becomes monotonal. Or Malmsteen, the dude misses almost half the notes and the ones he does hit are 99% the same tone, and he doesnt even realize it thinking its fine. The bar is set so low in metal, Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick are 2 of the few metal guitarists I've witnessed actually play dynamically while also hitting all the notes clearly (I guess Buckethead and Adam Jones are in the same ballpark too). Turn down the distortion on most metal guitarists and you will hear a jumbled mess. A million genres of metal and nary a musician to be had.

Haha, pleb.
Quote by farcry

You're a fucking moron.

Also, Chopin? Really, dude?...REALLY?!
Quote by farcry

I believe that the most of classic Metal guitarists (Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blacmore, Michael Weikath, Ross The Boss etc....) have trained ears and feeling. In my opinion, they sound too good! Some of the modern Metal is more about whimps and posers that want to show that they have skills, but the only thing that they create is a muddy fast nonsense sound that is combined with weak and incomprehensible voices.....Malmsteem is a great guitarist but he uses only one playing aproach all these years!
Last edited by Lead_Guitar89 at Jul 28, 2014,
Chopin was very un-metal and was in fact a limp wristed sickly French frog.

I like some of his Fantasias. But he is a very bad comparison in this instance.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by farcry

You say Vai is dynamically weak and you cite Broderick and Friedman as examples of dynamically strong players. You also claim that Malmsteen "misses almost half the notes..." You're a fucking moron.

Your musical opinions have shown themselves to be lacking in salt. They will henceforth be disregarded as garbage till such a time that you prove them to have more salt.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Jul 28, 2014,
Quote by progbass
Chopin was very un-metal and was in fact a limp wristed sickly French frog.

I like some of his Fantasias. But he is a very bad comparison in this instance.

heyyy fffffffuk u I like Chopin
yeah I'm confused, proggy likes some Chopin? yeah he's a pretty lousy pianist
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I like lots of Chopin - mostly his Nocturnes. I said I like some of his Fantasias. I like most of the preludes. The Pollanaises are ok. Etc al.

I said he wasn't very metal as compared to say Brahms or Wagner. And as such he was a bad comparison to shred guitar players.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.