Poll: Are parodies becoming more prevalent?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are parodies becoming more prevalent?
Yesm
22 67%
Nop
11 33%
Voters: 33.
shavorules42
UG Board King
697 IQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRGLVWoTrOU

Is it just me or has it become more prevalent with the advent of YouTube? I remember Weird Al being one of the only parody artists back in the day but now we have Lil B and the countless nobodies on YouTube with serious cases of unwarranted self-importance. Discuss? Discus.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
>lil b
>parody

how tf are you so wrong about everything? wow.
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by shavorules42
the countless nobodies on YouTube with serious cases of unwarranted self-importance.

I think those types of people exist elsewhere than on Youtube, just look at Ian the Fox
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
Tenacious d are the tits
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Tag43
for the lulz
571 IQ
Weird Al is the only person who should ever be allowed to do parodies.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
730 IQ
Oh, so Lil B's 100% serious? That makes it even worse.

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Tenacious d are the tits

comedy=/=parody
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

skylerjames13
Dude
2,068 IQ
If Lil B was a parody, it'd make so much more sense as to why he sucks so much

but if he's srs then lel
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa

comedy=/=parody

pfft

whatever
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
shavorules42
UG Board King
697 IQ
Quote by due 07
>lil b
>parody

how tf are you so wrong about everything? wow.

He's the biggest troll in rap music right now. He intentionally creates really bad/generic rap music as a form of satire to mock the current trends of modern rap and hip hop. From his own gang call (WOO) to filling his songs with terrible similes and metaphors (I look like Jesus) about pussy, money, and weed, he's pretty much nailed it and proved his point that literally anyone can get famous by following that formula these days.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by shavorules42
He's the biggest troll in rap music right now. He intentionally creates really bad/generic rap music as a form of satire to mock the current trends of modern rap and hip hop. From his own gang call (WOO) to filling his songs with terrible similes and metaphors (I look like Jesus) about pussy, money, and weed, he's pretty much nailed it and proved his point that literally anyone can get famous by following that formula these days.

he makes music he wants to make. he has a good sense of irony and community. who is he supposed to be trollin' do ya think? he's not 'trolling' anything.
Quote by Trowzaa
Oh, so Lil B's 100% serious? That makes it even worse.

define 'serious' doe
Last edited by due 07 at Jan 23, 2013,
kratos379
914 IQ
Quote by Tag43
Weird Al is the only person who should ever be allowed to do parodies.

What about Steel Panther? They are a hilarious parody of hair metal bands.
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
643 IQ
Quote by kratos379
What about Steel Panther? They are a hilarious parody of hair metal bands.

You are missing the meaning of what a parody is. Its based on an original work, Steel Panther don't cover Hair metal songs thus they are not a parody.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Jon777
Assbender
1,137 IQ
Quote by due 07
he makes music he wants to make. he has a good sense of irony and community. who is he supposed to be trollin' do ya think? he's not 'trolling' anything.

I think the both of you are pretty much in agreement. My understanding is that TS is just using the word "trolling" rather liberally.
Ichikurosaki
tri1 tri2 tri3 tri4
158 IQ
Quote by shredder3386
You are missing the meaning of what a parody is. Its based on an original work, Steel Panther don't cover Hair metal songs thus they are not a parody.

they're parodying hair metal in general, though

the art of parody is more broad than you seem to think
sacamano79
Fighter of the Nightman
2,222 IQ
My only regret in life is that Weird Al was denied rights by Paul McCartney to do a cover of 'Live and Let Die' entitled 'Chicken Pot Pie'.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
smartalecG94
Just my Bronze showing
183 IQ
^this
Quote by captainsnazz
That's some nice hair you've got there.

I'm watching you.

Quote by BottleOfSmoke
If I was a rich man in 17th century Britain, I'd totally adopt Alec and make him my heir.

People say I tan easily, but that's just my Bronze showing through.
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
292 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I think those types of people exist elsewhere than on Youtube, just look at Ian the Fox

Ian has serious issues though. Like assburger.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
LightxGrenade
1,139 IQ
I prefer funny renditions of songs like what Richard Cheese does over a parody song.

That being said, College Humor and Yahoo SketchY have done some decent ones. I like the parody of Fun. that Yahoo did called "We're Not Young", most ppl wont find it funny especially people that are younger, but if you're in your mid 20's to mid 30's I think you'll find it decently funny because it really does capture a lot of the things people feel/think/do during those years.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Gantz92
108 IQ
With the exception of Mel Brooks movies i almost never enjoy parodies. It's a pretty cheap form of comedy in my opinion.
durhamdynamo
Spaceologist
120 IQ
Quote by LightxGrenade
I prefer funny renditions of songs like what Richard Cheese does over a parody song.

That being said, College Humor and Yahoo SketchY have done some decent ones. I like the parody of Fun. that Yahoo did called "We're Not Young", most ppl wont find it funny especially people that are younger, but if you're in your mid 20's to mid 30's I think you'll find it decently funny because it really does capture a lot of the things people feel/think/do during those years.

"This one's for the ladies...raaaaape me."
________ A
________C
________E
________!
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,235 IQ
Alestorm, Richard Cheese and Steel Panther are the best.

Alestorm is more of a comedy band, but whatever. They don't take themselves too seriously. Steel Panther is arguably a legit parody band because they copy riffs from other bands in their songs.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 23, 2013,
nincompoop
UG Owner & Founder
738 IQ
I liked Parody music until I was sort of... eight. At that point I realized that if I wanted to laugh I'd watch a funny movie or comedian. If I wanted to hear a song, I'd... listen to the original artist. Combining the two just doesn't work for me.

There are funny lyrics in songs, but I can't imagine myself listening to a song to laugh.

I think comedy-based music is cheap. For instance in movies or TV, I always see it as an obvious tactic used when someone runs out of ideas. SNL is notorious for this: "HEY, WE RAN OUT OF MATERIAL, LET'S DO A LITTLE SONG AND DANCE NUMBER BECAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS HILARIOUS!"

And if I hear another Frank Sinatra-esque, saxophone-y comedy song, I am going to shoot myself in the mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hqRV5hr8w4

Few things are done to death more.
Last edited by nincompoop at Jan 23, 2013,
Tag43
for the lulz
571 IQ
Yeahh, I agree with the statement that parodies are more than just covering songs and changing the lyrics. Black Sheep's "U Mean I'm Not" and "U Mean I Don't" on two of their albums parody rap in someway but aren't necessarily direct parodies of songs.

And of course Richard Cheese (thumbs up to LightxGrenade) is awesome and genius and beautiful.
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
lil b isn't a troll/parody. he wouldn't make good music if he was a troll/parody. some of his music is super ironic and fun, but that's only his cooking songs.
you're a stone fox
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by Jon777
I think the both of you are pretty much in agreement. My understanding is that TS is just using the word "trolling" rather liberally.

no we are not because even everything he's saying is wrong. like "He intentionally creates really bad/generic rap music as a form of satire to mock the current trends of modern rap and hip hop" is wrong because he doesn't mock the current trends in hip-hop; if anything, he's a trendsetter and others follow him. like he was one of the first people to do the cloud rap thing, and he was rapping over trap beats since like '09 and now trap is becoming huge.
skylerjames13
Dude
2,068 IQ
^ yeah but he's horrible so it doesn't matter
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Nick92Slayer
Fully qualified wasteman
94 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Alestorm is more of a comedy band, but whatever. They don't take themselves too seriously. Steel Panther is arguably a legit parody band because they copy riffs from other bands in their songs.

Alestorm are Scottish so of course they are drunk pirates

Steel Panther do seem to copy riffs, Death To All But Metal has Metallica - Seek and Destroy and Jump in The Fire in it, just slightly different to me

But +12.7
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
730 IQ
Quote by due 07

define 'serious' doe

Serious like serious. I don't know, it's hard to explain cos I'm tired. think Kanye West serious.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
Serious like serious. I don't know, it's hard to explain cos I'm tired. think Kanye West serious.

kanye west isn't that serious. have you ever seen his twitter feed? his whole shtick is an artistic persona, just like lil b.

i feel like people who think lil b is a parody/troll are just racists who get a kick out of minstrel shows.
Last edited by due 07 at Jan 23, 2013,