marceljj
144 IQ
Is it a good guitar for someone between beginner and intermediate? The music I'd like to play is some Led Zeppelin (Though I think a LP would do better in that one), Pink Floyd, Cream/D&D, Deep Purple, blues, and possibly some hard rock.
marceljj
144 IQ
Right now I have an Epiphone SG Junior. The problem is has like one pickup. And it buzzes unless the action is set high.
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out
1,360 IQ
I'd look at another of Squier's offerings (like, ANY other) in the similar price range. In the past few years, how far $250 can go got stretch way past where it was when the Standard was last updated. I'd look at a Vintage Modified Strat, Squier released a whole slew of new ones last year.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Fender Rumble 100 V3
Eric Johnson Fuzz Face
NYC Big Muff Pi
marceljj
144 IQ
Uh, the standard was already ordered. I read some reviews online, the guitar doesn't seem very bad for a beginner. Is this a bad guitar?
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
2,141 IQ
Why would you ask if it's good after ordering? You should've done it the other way around.

Basically, it's not that it's a particularly bad guitar, but it's pretty average. It's not an upgrade from your SG, more like a sidestep, and you could've gotten much better. Some actual MIM Fender go for 300 bucks on the used market if you look around a bit.
Last edited by Darkflame at Jan 23, 2013,
Alucard817
1,443 IQ
Dark is right. I see see MIM Strats going for 250-300 on the used market quite frequently. Hell you might have even been able to score a Hamer or an Aria ProII for that.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Cancel that order and wait a day. Look around for a used MiM as it's in your price range or get a Classic Vibe at the least.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Alucard817
1,443 IQ
Quote by marceljj
But my price range was about up to $250 dollars.

What were saying though man, is for that 250 bucks you can get a much, much nicer guitar. You just have to be a bit more patient.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
halfj06
565 IQ
I had that "special edition" black and chrome squier std. Strat and honestly it wasn't too bad. The fretwork was damn near perfect.. the neck was a nice c shape, was a little sticky but a smoothed it.with one of those scratchy pads. It held tune, the electricals aren't spectacular but they work. Id go for the vintage. Modified. Squiers though.. they do sound better
Dralf78520
10 IQ
Squier std have alnico pickups w no magnets
Shield ur cavities, low your pickups level and
Steel block if possible and
BOOOOOOOM you have a USA sound.

Polish your neck and sand the back side
W thin grit and believe me you will have a nice guitar.
Good luck people.
flexiblemile
2,249 IQ
Quote by Dralf78520
Squier std have alnico pickups w no magnets
Shield ur cavities, low your pickups level and
Steel block if possible and
BOOOOOOOM you have a USA sound.

Polish your neck and sand the back side
W thin grit and believe me you will have a nice guitar.
Good luck people.

This thread is almost 3 years old. That's enough time for the kid to have gotten the guitar, played it for a week, get sick of playing guitar, hide the guitar in his closet and pick up tabletop RPG. He's probably a level 12 wizard by now
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,489 IQ
Quote by flexiblemile
This thread is almost 3 years old. That's enough time for the kid to have gotten the guitar, played it for a week, get sick of playing guitar, hide the guitar in his closet and pick up WoW. He's probably a level 100 Subtlety Rogue by now

Ftfy
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.