TMSmity95
Failed Musician
988 IQ
Hi

I've had a Line 6 UX1 for a while and have loved using it with an SM57. But I want to use a Condenser and the Line 6 UX1 doesn't have phantom power.

So my question is, if I buy a mixer that has phantom power, could I put the condenser mic into the mixer and then line out into the UX1?

Would this work/power the mic?

Thanks
Tom
Guitars
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Vintage V99CS
Eastwood Acoustic

Amps and Pedals
Blackstar HT-5R Stack
Digitech Bad Monkey
Korg PitchBlack

Keskimaki
Grating & Dividing
438 IQ
Yes, it would. But a mixer is probably an overkill if you plan to just use the condenser with the UX1.

What you would need is a pre-amp with phantom power in front of the UX1. If you at some point need to record multiple mics at once, then a small mixer could come in handy. Or even better (or at least more sensible), you could upgrade your interface to a one with phantom power and more inputs.

If you like working with the Line 6 interface, the UX2 has two XLR microphone inputs and phantom power. And you can probably find the older version used for not much cash. It's nothing fancy by todays standards but I still use mine to a great extent.
Last edited by Keskimaki at Jan 23, 2013,
TMSmity95
Failed Musician
988 IQ
OK thanks, I'm just looking for the cheapest option. So I'll keep my eye on ebay.
Guitars
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Vintage V99CS
Eastwood Acoustic

Amps and Pedals
Blackstar HT-5R Stack
Digitech Bad Monkey
Korg PitchBlack

Keskimaki
Grating & Dividing
438 IQ
No problem.

A new UX2 costs around 160€, so if you find one used it shouldn't cost too much.
The pre-amps on it are nothing to boast about but they are pretty much alllright. I swear my other more up-to-date gear slowly turn black from jealousy concerning how much I still use mine.

Aside my band's stuff it's the one I mostly use at home. My last solo-project-album-thingies guitars, bass and vocals were solely done with the standard PodFarm sounds.