davehail1092
359 IQ
So, what im wondering, is if it is worth refretting my neck or getting a new one. I absolutely love this neck, but the frets are worn to nothing. It is a tele neck by the way.
supersac
Tab Contributor
650 IQ
if you love the neck i think its worth a refret

and might actually cost you lessmoney than a new neck depensing on where you get the materials and whether or not you do it yourself
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
1,380 IQ
Quote by whoomit
Are you sure it needs a refret?

Sure a level and crown won't do the job?

Any photos?

This. Unless the frets are worn down to the point where a nice recrowning would mean they were significantly lower than they should be, a refret could be unecessary.

If you're feeling confident, a re-fret is something you could achieve yourself. All you need is a fret puller, a nice set of files, a fret leveller or straight edge, a fretting hammer and a good amount of patience.
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic
741 IQ
Quote by Wesbanez

If you're feeling confident, a re-fret is something you could achieve yourself. All you need is a fret puller, a nice set of files, a fret leveller or straight edge, a fretting hammer and a good amount of patience.

Yep definitely patience, I did a refret on a scrap neck mainly just to see if i could and it does take a while, especially if you get a lot of chip out. One tool I'd add to that list though is a soldering iron, because heating the frets properly does make a big difference in reducing the amount of chip out. Oh and some CA glue as well for the new frets, that's important.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
I say take it to a luthier and have him level the frets, or refret if needed. I wouldn't bother doing it yourself since you won't end up saving much money(if any) after buying the tools for it. Plus, you might do a poor job, and the nut might need to be recut afterwards.

But it's all down to how much you want to take on, and how confident you are in your abilities.
davehail1092
359 IQ
i dont think im gonna do it myself. I've built guitars, but always bought necks. anyone have any idea about how much it'll cost?
RebuildIt
254 IQ
I've done re-fretting with crap for tools, just basic flat files. You dont need to spend much money. Dont dismiss the idea of a recrown, even if you think the frets will be too low. Oh wait, this is assuming you have more than one guitar! Play it with tiny frets for a few hours before you decide if tiny frets are sh*t. I have a guitar with tiny frets and its fun. It takes some getting used to, but it teaches you to be more careful. Now if this is your main guitar, and you dont like the small frets, that will probably be more frustrating than its worth. I think it is valuable to play guitars with variety.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,517 IQ
I was quoted $200 to do my neck, ended up doing it myself. It wasn't too hard really, if you build guitars you should have no problem
davehail1092
359 IQ
wasnt sure how hard it was to do. I already recrowned the frets, and cant go down much more. never messed with refretting cause i really dont wanna mess it up and have to tear it back down again. but, im thinking i might give it a try.