RaiZu
133 IQ
Hey guys. I'm wondering if you could tell me how to properly record from an amp's line out.

I'm planning to record trough my bugera 333 XL Infinium into MixIR2.
Do I need to crank the amp up to get a proper sound?
Is it better to use the line out or the fx loop?
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
As usual, drive it like you stole it if you want distortion; the master (output) volume is up to you, but keep it low so it doesn't clip (or worse, damage your interface- you're using an interface, right?). And use the line out instead of the loop.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jan 24, 2013,
RaiZu
133 IQ
Yeah I have a fastrack pro mk II

What about dummy loads? I've heard people saying you can just line up some resistances so you dont have to cab the amp and crank it as loud as you can.
Are there any wiring diagrams for making something like that?
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Unless you're going to buy an attenuator, I'd avoid going direct from your amp into your interface. Just use some amp sims instead, you'll get much better results IMO.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Have you considered buying a mic to record it 'properly'? You'll get a much better sound.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
Have you considered buying a mic to record it 'properly'? You'll get a much better sound.

I thought about that too but I'm gonna assume his amp is too loud for him to mic properly.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
Sounds like a perfectly good plan to me. Since you're using MixIR2 I assume you're using Redwirez impulses, they're bloody awesome.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
I thought about that too but I'm gonna assume his amp is too loud for him to mic properly.

It's probably got a volume knob

Also, unless I'm missing something (which is possible as I don't have experience of that amp) taking a signal from the line out wouldn't stop the signal going to his cab, so he'd still be playing it out loud which means the volume can't be a problem. Obviously can't speak for all amps, but in my experience taking a feed from the line out doesn't mute the amp - feel free to correct me if it does on that one.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I've done something like this, but I used a dummy speaker (read a small speaker in a box slashed to shit and covered in super glue) on the cab plug then took the signal from that box to my interface.

I have no idea what such box would be called... I only have one because my dad made it years ago.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
RaiZu
133 IQ
Well I don't need an attenuator I just need something to suck up the power so I dont blow my tubes. The line out can't really damage the interface since it's made to be a line out, theres no power in it.

And there are 2 things.

1. I live in an apartment so I can't crank it up to do some proper mic recording.
2. I have a crappy cabinet and I have the redwirez impulses which sound awesome from what I've gotten till now. And I don't have to worry about volume or about the reverb or the noise that can be in my room.

And ampsims just don't compare to the real thing. I play pretty fast so I need the clarity.
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
Yeah, you're on the right track.

Which Redwirez have you got? I love their Bogner Uberkab impulses!

As for line out vs FX send, just try both and see which gets better results. You can keep your master volume as low as you want, as long as there's always a cab connected.
RaiZu
133 IQ
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 impulses

Well that clears about everything up. So thanks guys
Jim #4
508 IQ
if you have a fasttrack. why dont you skip the amp completely?
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Quote by Jim #4
if you have a fasttrack. why dont you skip the amp completely?

He already covered that:
Quote by RaiZu
ampsims just don't compare to the real thing. I play pretty fast so I need the clarity.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Sethis
171 IQ
Quote by RaiZu
Hey guys. I'm wondering if you could tell me how to properly record from an amp's line out.

I'm planning to record trough my bugera 333 XL Infinium into MixIR2.
Do I need to crank the amp up to get a proper sound?
Is it better to use the line out or the fx loop?

It's the same sound whether you use the FX Loop or the line out. But there is one huge advantage of using the loop - you can turn off the master volume completely. Which means you can even record with your amp late at night hearing only from your headphones. This is not possible on all amps. But remember - never use any amp without a cab connected even if its silent!!!

Plus you can get a really great sound with the amp and some impulses. Check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM8f9dzlmfM
Last edited by Sethis at Jan 28, 2013,
Jim #4
508 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
He already covered that:

yeah but the "real thing" would be an amp a cab and a mic...and not the D I of just the head. cause that also doesnt sound "real" .
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Quote by Jim #4
yeah but the "real thing" would be an amp a cab and a mic...and not the D I of just the head. cause that also doesnt sound "real" .

I see what you're trying to say - that's why my original suggestion was to buy a mic & do it properly. The cab is a big part of the sound, so you need to capture that as well.

However you look at it though, the fact is that the DI uses a real amp, not a simulated one.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Sethis
171 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
However you look at it though, the fact is that the DI uses a real amp, not a simulated one.

Definitely. Another thing is that usually amp sims are major cpu hogs. And when you got 3,4 guitars things can get nasty...Or you have to render all the time which is a bit lame. Plus you don't have to worry about latency anymore.
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
You can just run pairs of guitars through the same sim if it supports stereo, and merge the channels as necessary at the end; that helps things significantly, but yeah, amp sims use a ton of CPU. Best course of action is to reamp, and render the reamped signal and use that instead.
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
I love how everyone's arguing their point, even though the guy's already got a solution that will get superb results without costing a penny extra.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by kyle62
I love how everyone's arguing their point, even though the guy's already got a solution that will get superb results without costing a penny extra.

What do you expect? I mean, this is the internet
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
What do you expect? I mean, this is the internet

Yep. It's what we do best
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
FearComplex
15 IQ
If you want silent recording with the Bugera using just it's preamp use it's FX loop. The clip I did that Sethis posted on the previous page was done that way. The line out requires you turn up the master volume to feed signal to your interface, the FX loop allows you to keep the master at 0 and feed your interface with the channel volume. So silent recording. If you want to tap the power amp you'll need a dummy load or a load box that has a silent feature.
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR
1,607 IQ
The distortion from that amp is going to be coming from the preamp for the vast majority anyway.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
RaiZu
133 IQ
Haven't checked here in a while. I have a 2x12 Harley Benton cab so I don't think it's worth the investment buying microphones and blowing up neighbours when I can use an impulse.
I know it's not the real thing but my main problem with ampsims is their clarity. On high gain bursts of notes tend to blend in and all you can really hear is a whoosh instead of let's say 3 notes. Cabinet wise they sound decent, they blend in nicely in the mix. And right now I've found an electrician who can build me a dummy load so I can crank it up without having to connect to a cab
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
1,619 IQ
Quote by RaiZu
right now I've found an electrician who can build me a dummy load so I can crank it up without having to connect to a cab

Not really worth the effort tbh. The power section of a 5150-type amp is pretty clear and neutral, it doesn't colour the tone beyond a very subtle compression.
RaiZu
133 IQ
It's no big effort and it's useful for me. I have a small room, connected to a cab even on the lowest levels it's a bit loud. Especially if I try the fx loop because it has no signal unless I turn on the fx boost and it goes up a lot. And this way I can crank it up to a decent level and tweak the sound while monitoring the input instead of hearing the outside cab.