Poll: Do you like tape intros?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like tape intros?
Yeah it makes it better mostly
18 36%
No way I prefer all live
10 20%
I don't even care a little
22 44%
Voters: 50.
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
What's your opinion on sitting through a prerecorded segment before the band starts playing?

Video related, it's my friend's band opening their set with some Celine Dion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Ai4O4Nx84

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
SGstriker
UG Addict
3,556 IQ
I think its cool, so long as it doesn't seem out of place.

Also

Wat did I just watch?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Last edited by SGstriker at Jan 24, 2013,
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,498 IQ
It's so shitty. I remember when Symphony X had Oculus ex inferni on tape. DT usually have something on tape going on. It not only ruins the surprise of them coming on stage, but it also makes you wonder why they are playing the tape. Was it fake in the studio?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Johnny_Ibanez
ʎuuɥoſ
1,251 IQ
Good Lord, your friend's band are not good at making any decisions.

I saw Muse come out to Dance of the Knights. That was pretty sweet.
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,389 IQ
Why the f*ck did they stop playing Celine Dion? Uncultured c*ntnuggets.

If it fits, then it works. If it's a bunch of kids trying to be funny/'ironic'/kooky/'random' then it's pretty shit. Unless it's a light hearted band. Say if Offspring or Bloodhound Gang did the whole Celine Dion thing, it'd work.
IMABBALLPLAYER
doesnt really play bball
1,880 IQ
That was quite the video.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
IMABBALLPLAYER
doesnt really play bball
1,880 IQ
Not to sound mean or anything... but your friends band needs to get it's shit together.

the ending, "alright, lets go."
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Jan 24, 2013,
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
Wow, that made that generic crap-band sound, well, slightly less shit. Like the most minuscule, barely measurable amount less terrible.

Edit:Where's the "that band was so bad I could not use it's so-called performance as a baseline for my opinion on taped intros" poll choice?

They made a nice choice in originality with the "from ____ to _____" band name btw, cause that's not like a cliche in that type of music or anything.
Last edited by tukk04 at Jan 24, 2013,
6-String_Madman
1,652 IQ
Quote by SGstriker
I think its cool, so long as it doesn't seem out of place.

Also

Wat did I just watch?

This. As long as it sounds right and goes well with the rest of the performance, why not? I've seen big Metal bands do it (Ecstacy Of Gold - Metallica, Winston Churchill's Speech - Iron Maiden, a war siren prior to Warpigs - Black Sabbath, Intro to World Painted Blood - Slayer, etc...). I see nothing wrong with it.
Lagunaguitar
UG's Best HS Debater
903 IQ
Godsmack an interesting one for Uproar 2012 (maybe for other tours too.) The music playing is For Those About To Rock (played by AC/DC not Godsmack) and the video was them screwing around on tour and stuff. Then they went straight into The Enemy. Didn't really know what to make of it, it was kind of fun and built some intensity I guess.
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
The bassist should go solo, he's the best looking and sounds like he can actually sing. The clean parts were alright, everything else was awful. I think pre-recorded intros are dumb. If you're doing something like that you should just turn the lights off and play something yourselves.
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader
1,902 IQ
I love it. When I saw Springsteen he came on to the theme from The Magnificent Seven.

I think pre-recorded tapes are really good at setting the mood and create some tension before the playing begins.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
schwinginbatman
498 IQ
I like it. It builds hype for the band, and if the intro is done well it can make the opening song an explosion of energy as the band moves into the performance. It most cases it seems to be a better way to introduce a band, rather than them walking out, saying "hey", then going for it, at least I think.
peppersghost08
UG's resident Ziltoid
1,127 IQ
The last few times i've seen Slash, he comes on to the music from the Prometheus trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mF4Tf7QiWs

I think it's really cool and works since the Prometheus music is meant to build tension and hype, and well what else happens when the lights go down at a gig, you start to get hyped and excited.

So I think it works most of the time.
Guitars
Sterling by MusicMan JP100D
Ibanez STM1
Epiphone 1967 Flying V (Ltd Edition)
Schecter Omen-8 (2012)
Amps
Randall Diavlo/RD100
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Marshall JCM2000/DSL401
Links
Soundcloud
Facebook
YouTube 1
YouTube 2
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,411 IQ
My band use an intro CD depending on the length of the set and when we're on in the bill, but it's nothing like this... it's just an atmospheric build-up, not quite music in the traditional sense, and it certainly doesn't breach somebody else's copyright like your friends' band's intro blatantly does (unless they're paying Dion's label for every performance and have permission, which I doubt...). I think opening with somebody else's song is a bit crap, but that's just my opinion - it's worked for Iron Maiden for however many decades
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,073 IQ
It depends on the band and what song they open their set with.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
thePTOD
UG Fanatic
2,585 IQ
I usually think it's pretty cool, because most bands I've seen local or big that have used a taped intro have used a good one.

This was just weird, the band was bleh, but I usually like the concept.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
Quote by DisarmGoliath
My band use an intro CD depending on the length of the set and when we're on in the bill, but it's nothing like this... it's just an atmospheric build-up, not quite music in the traditional sense, and it certainly doesn't breach somebody else's copyright like your friends' band's intro blatantly does (unless they're paying Dion's label for every performance and have permission, which I doubt...). I think opening with somebody else's song is a bit crap, but that's just my opinion - it's worked for Iron Maiden for however many decades

You know some actual music-oriented venues and bars pay a monthly fee for the permission to allow covers/karaoke to be played. It only goes to the artist if they register their songs with the proper organization though and it's a very small small cut because it covers so many artists. It's the same thing as what allows bars and venues to just play music off the radio.

It probably covers the taped intro thing too.
Last edited by tukk04 at Jan 24, 2013,
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
580 IQ
They really need to work on staying in time together. That was bad.

Also more mids in the guitar tone.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
sam b
9,221 IQ
Jesus fucking christ, you need to smash your "friends" (yeah right - we all know it's yours) band mates instruments up and make sure they never play again. That was god awful

OT, yes, I like
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,411 IQ
Quote by tukk04
You know some actual music-oriented venues and bars pay a monthly fee for the permission to allow covers/karaoke to be played. It only goes to the artist if they register their songs with the proper organization though and it's a very small small cut because it covers so many artists. It's the same thing as what allows bars and venues to just play music off the radio.

It probably covers the taped intro thing too.

Of course I do - in this country (UK) it's handled by the PRS (Performance Rights Society) but unless the venue are aware of what it is, and are told by the band to note the performance on the venue's PRS records, there is little chance that it will get passed on.

Besides, it looks like the video TS linked to is filmed at a school concert so I think it's highly unlikely they went about it the same way a professional music venue would.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
JT436
101 IQ
It can work well, but it all depends entirely on what the clip is. Really, it has to either thematically fit in with the music or build tension.

Muse had "What's He Building?" by Tom Waits when they did their OOS set at R&L... Proper shit me up. Worked so well.
zgr0826
UG's Cowardly Bassist
907 IQ
I Like St. Anger, So What?

Quote by NewDayHappy

I love my gays man, but a child could be buying that whopper. It just makes for a very awkward situation in the mini van when the father is talking to his son.

ayy lmao