supersac
Tab Contributor
93 IQ
6/8 is a compund meter think of it as two 3/4 in one meter
the strong beats are on the first and fourth beats
ONE two three FOUR five six

3/4 is a triple meter
ONE two three

2/2 and 4/4 are basically the same thing 2 half notes is the same as 4 quarter notes 2/2 is cut time meant to be a lil faster than 4/4
its
basically where the streesed syllables are

here read this wiki article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(music)#Compound_meter
Last edited by supersac at Jan 25, 2013,
mulefish
UG Addict
111 IQ
So am I right in saying that the often used 3+3+2 pattern used in 4/4, would more accurately be written as being in 8/8?
RIP Gooze

cats
supersac
Tab Contributor
93 IQ
Quote by mulefish
So am I right in saying that the often used 3+3+2 pattern used in 4/4, would more accurately be written as being in 8/8?

im not sure what you mean by 3+3+2

th elength of the notes also matter
could be two eight triplets followed by two quarter notes

but 4/4 is ALOT more common than 8/8
in fact when you can use 4/4 its probabaly best to use it since people are more accustomed to reading it

but you can write it however the hell you want but if you want people to be readinging it it sbest to make it easy to read
Frusciantay
20 IQ
typically songs are either in duple( 4/4, 2/4, 2/2) or Triple(3/4, 6/8) meter.
whether or not a duple meter song is actually 4/4 or 2/4 usually comes down to phrasing or whatever kind of beat feels the strongest.

then we get into compound meters like 7/8 and such. people often think of these broken up into groups of 2 and 3 eighth notes for the sake of being able to count them easier.

to tell by listening just figure out if its duple or triple, then just listen for how the phrasing feels and you'll be able to differentiate 4/4 from 2/4 and the like.
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia
10 IQ
Quote by mulefish

Nah. It's just a hemiola. No need to muck around with the time sig.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat