What kind of solderinf iron do I need for wiring my guitar? Ie how many watts etc. And what kind of solder do I need?
30-40W pen type iron is recommended, stay away from the gun ones, they are too powerful, you don't want to go any higher than 40. I use any solder I can find lying around the house, never had a problem and I do a fair bit of guitar wiring and pickup changing.
Last edited by Jack2596 at Jan 26, 2013,
Higher wattage irons aren't an issue. My Hakko station is 75W. Only use rosin core solder. The acid core used in plumbing will corrode any electronics. 63/37 is easiest to work with, as it's eutectic, but 60/40 is more common and there isn't a huge difference.
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I use a Weller soldering station with variable temperature that i picked up for about $50, there are certainly cheaper options out there though that will suit your needs. As for solder i stick to 63/37 rosin core.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I'd go with the Weller WLC100. Variable temp, docking station, and it's a damn good iron
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com