Hey guys. I just bought a squire telecaster custom 2 with p90 pickups. Everything is what i was expecting, and im happy with it. Except for the pickups. They sound muddy with any kind of gain on them, which i know p90 pickups arent really made to handle, but i would like to upgrade them. I was looking at getting these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/emg-p91-hz-hot-passive-humbucker?src=3LEMWXX1

My question is, how will those handle a slight crunch (AC/DC) to some moderate gain such as, lets say, GNR.

Also, would they drop right into my guitar?

And if you say no to either of those questions, what would your recommend?

Im playing through a Spider IV 15 (dont wanna hear it, im saving up for a 6505 in the summer, and also i have played this guitar through a marshall and the problem was still there with the muddiness), and i dont really have a limit on what to spend as long as its not ridiculous. Thanks!
Last edited by Prophecy69 at Jan 26, 2013,
Dimarzio make several P-90 size HB pickups they even make the Super distortion in a P-90 housing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Have you ever used them? How close are they to regular super distortions, i like those.
Quote by Prophecy69
Have you ever used them? How close are they to regular super distortions, i like those.

well I have an old early 1980's Sd and my friend bought one of the P-90 size for his LP. It sounds very much like the real SD to me, maybe a little more mids
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
EMGs are not what you want, neither is the 6505 tbh. You can't go wrong with Duncans or DiMarzios, however I doubt you'll hear much if any difference playing through a Spider.
Get different P90s, a good P90 can cover a lot of ground in that grey area between a single coil and bucker. I use a SD p-rails in the bridge spot of my strat and it fucking screams with dirt. You can't beat a good p90 for classic rock crunch. Honestly, emgs are certainly not what you want for AC/DC and GNR and I have not played a 6505 but they tend to veer more towards the metal side of tones. I play rock and alt rock and I've always used combos and dirt pedals with good results. I've always used twins live, either a silver face twin reverb or a fender ultimate chorus (amazing solid state amp, and fairly easy to find for nothing) and they rock with the a decent dirt pedal.
The reason im getting the 6505 is because i am mainly a metal player, and i played my friends 6505 before and loved it. I have a Prophecy Futura EX with EMG 81 85 in it as my main guitar, this guitar is mainly just to play around with when im bored and stuff, hence the reason its only like. Less than half the price of my other guitar. So i guess the general consensus is that Duncans or Dimarzios would be my best bet?