awesomo41894
Tab Contributor
3,176 IQ
A week or so back i put up a thread on here with a solo i recorded, and u guys said i should make it into a song, so i did. This is the result. I tried to make it future sounding, but at the same time, old sounding (U can hear that in the end). The song goes between B Phrygian Dominant, B whole tone, B minor, and E minor throughout.
I would love to hear what you guys think of it, any crit/advice would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDPsLjO_dk8

As always, Ill C4C!

Thanks,

Jake P
face_the_fear
1,583 IQ
Really nice solo! I like the layers of lead guitar you have going on. The mix sounds fine but maybe the rhythm guitar could do with being turned up a little bit to add a bit more weight to the mix.

Nice to see an 8 string not being used for djent for a change haha.
awesomo41894
Tab Contributor
3,176 IQ
Quote by face_the_fear
Really nice solo! I like the layers of lead guitar you have going on. The mix sounds fine but maybe the rhythm guitar could do with being turned up a little bit to add a bit more weight to the mix.

Nice to see an 8 string not being used for djent for a change haha.

Thanks a lot man! And i agree, the rhythm guitar could be a tad louder, but it was kinda hard to mix because the lead has 4 layers at one point, and i really didnt know how to accomplish keeping a present rhythm guitar and present leads, without the volume fluctuating a bunch. I appreciate the crit man, and I agree, its rare to see an 8 string NOT used for djent haha
face_the_fear
1,583 IQ
I think the way I would try and make room for the rhythm guitars is by compressing the rhythm and bringing it a little more forward in the mix. Not compressed where it is obvious they have been compressed just enough to bring them through. Also maybe knock off a lot of the low end with an EQ so the lead and rhythm aren't fighting for space in the lower to mid frequencies.
awesomo41894
Tab Contributor
3,176 IQ
Quote by TakenBr
Awesome solo man. And that guitar, so awesome. 8 strings, right?

Thanks a ton man! And yes it is, its an ESP LTD H-338. I bought it a few months back, never really used it much (I find the neck kinda uncomfortable, I have a seven string, and Im used to playing that, but the neck on an 8 just feels huge), but lately ive been playing it, and I LOVE the tones it has. Its just not super easy to play haha Its the easiest guitar to tap on ive ever played though.
OurRequiem
1,804 IQ
Sounding really good man! I saw a previous comment and it made me laugh beccause i totally agreed! 8 strings not being used for djent. Good job!

It's all been said already tho man little louder on the rthyem guitar, is there bass in the mix at all? I don't think production was the core foucus here tho. It's still a little short could use some more riffs and such and then obviously vocals if your willing to take it that far!

keep it up.

check my stuff in my sig.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
STONESHAKER
UG Fanatic
754 IQ
Very good. I can tell you have practiced your vibrato because I hear it matching up with the recorded vibrato evenly. Favorite part is around 0:59 in... pretty sweet harmonized guitars there bud, although the fast whole tone scale runs were cool too and reminded me of my favorite part of "We Better Learn how to Hotwire a Uterus" ... very under-utilized scale. But yeah, as for my voice, one of my close friends gave me his honest critique and told me it sounds a little nasally at times which I will chalk up to all the pot I was smoking up until just recently I decided to knock it off for a bit. Hopefully that fixes that problem.

Keep ripping though man, that was very cleanly and effortlessly played for a technical piece.