Nico the Great
Damned Icon
80 IQ
Hey guys. I'm set to graduate from my university at the end of the semester, and I'm thinking I might get myself an Ibanez RG8 and customize it to make it a better instrument "on the cheap." The guitar itself is only $400, after all.

Here's what I was thinking of putting in:

* New pickups (probably some seymour duncans or dimarzios)
* Locking tuners
* A better bridge, probably a hipshot

And... that's pretty much it. Do you guys think that'd be a worthwhile project instead of just getting a better 8?

EDIT: Note to mods, since this concerns electric guitars, accessories, AND customization, I wasn't really sure which forum to put it in... feel free to move it if you want
Last edited by Nico the Great at Jan 27, 2013,
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Assuming that it has good frets and no sharp edges, I'd go for it. Ibanez has a pretty consistent quality from $300-900, if you really like that guitar, there's not much point getting something else for more.

The major benefit here being you can put exactly what you want in it.

Not sure about the bridge though. Granted I know nothing about flush mount bridges, but I don't see how it's likely they'd have the same screw spacing etc..
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Nico the Great
Damned Icon
80 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Assuming that it has good frets and no sharp edges, I'd go for it. Ibanez has a pretty consistent quality from $300-900, if you really like that guitar, there's not much point getting something else for more.

The major benefit here being you can put exactly what you want in it.

Not sure about the bridge though. Granted I know nothing about flush mount bridges, but I don't see how it's likely they'd have the same screw spacing etc..

I imagine that I could just take it to a tech and have them drill the holes with the right measurements and fill the previous ones with wood glue, right?
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
300 IQ
I'd leave the bridge until last. Unless you're 100% definite it's going to benefit you. What about the current bridge wouldn't you like?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Nico the Great
Damned Icon
80 IQ
Quote by Eppicurt
I'd leave the bridge until last. Unless you're 100% definite it's going to benefit you. What about the current bridge wouldn't you like?

I'm just not sure of the quality, since it's a $400 guitar. If it's fine, I'll keep it, but I just wanna make sure it's something of quality .
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
300 IQ
Better yet, you could just replace the saddles with Graphtec ones or something similar rather than putting in a whole new bridge system. Would save you a lot of time/money.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
jpnyc
Banned
90 IQ
Quote by Nico the Great
And... that's pretty much it. Do you guys think that'd be a worthwhile project instead of just getting a better 8?

Just do the math. Add up the total cost for the cheap guitar, parts, and tools. If you haven’t done this before add another 20% on the assumption you’ll damage something and need to spend more fixing it. Compare that total to what other guitars you could just buy in the first place.
godgrinder
50 IQ
Check out Lace Deathbar/X-Bar for pickups.

By the sound of it you want a fixed bridge instead of the tremolo system? I would say just block it with one of those instead of installing a new one:
http://www.tremol-no.com
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Last edited by godgrinder at Jan 27, 2013,