jtcline99
20 IQ
Hey has anyone used an IPAD or any Tablet as an effects pedal? If so how is it?
solidrane
Wekk Blka
120 IQ
Sounds a bit flat... depending on what you use.

Though everything i've used sounded like it was a bit thin and cheap
???
lemurflames
Ronnie
40 IQ
Any of these pedals that let you load effects pedals onto it from your iPhone or iPad are just incredibly gimmicky. I don't feel any better about any that just use your plain phone or tablet.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Digitech has 2 out there: the iStomp and the IBP-10. Both have gotten some pretty good reviews. I got to try out an iStomp- VERY briefly and in a crowded, noisy Guitar Center- and it sounded OK to me.

I figure they're at least as good as any multieffects pedal...and more flexible.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Don't do it.

They aren't as good as a GT100, Danny. Not in the slightest. They really sound flat and the EQ options are very minimal.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0

IDK- that one sounded a tad harsh.

Here's one I liked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28n_7kzhAwQ&sns=em

Anyway, people's taste differ, their ears differ- I can't say the GT100 sounds any better to me, but as I admitted, I own neither pedal. I pretty much buy individual pedals.

However, the IBP-10 is one of the few multieffects pedals I've given any serious consideration to.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
lemurflames
Ronnie
40 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0

I have that on my iPad. It's good, but make sure you get a good adapter for your iPad or iPhone for it. The PositiveGrid adapter is absolute shit. It's a $20 piece of plastic. I got really unlucky and got one that is noisy and loves to hum a lot. Even with maximum noise gate. Half the time, it just doesn't want to work for me until I pray to the gods and make a sacrifice. I plan to drop it for the Apogee Jam adapter. $99. Ouch. It might be so crappy because it's an analog adapter and plugs into the headphone jack on the iDevice. The Apogee and others go through the device's proprietary connect. Which I'm sure is a digital connection.

Anyways, I thought the thread was about using your iPad as an effects pedal and not an amp sim. Otherwise, I would have recommended JamUp. There are also other amp sim apps that get great praise on the appstore.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by lemurflames

Anyways, I thought the thread was about using your iPad as an effects pedal and not an amp sim. Otherwise, I would have recommended JamUp. There are also other amp sim apps that get great praise on the appstore.

Well, the IPB-10 simulates 87 pedals 54 amps 26 cabinets out of the box, with more available for adding.

What surprised me when I first looked was that the pedal sims are not just DigiTech products. (Scroll down to see the list.)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/digitech-ipb-10-programmable-guitar-multi-effects-pedalboard-with-ipad-integration

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
I think lemurflames has that answer.

alhaq369
lemurflames
Ronnie
40 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, the IPB-10 simulates 87 pedals 54 amps 26 cabinets out of the box, with more available for adding.

What surprised me when I first looked was that the pedal sims are not just DigiTech products. (Scroll down to see the list.)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/digitech-ipb-10-programmable-guitar-multi-effects-pedalboard-with-ipad-integration

My issue with it is that it's $500 for the pedal + the iPad. There are better ways to spend $500 if you want an FX unit. And while iOS is stable, apps do crash. The last thing you want is for the app to crash on you mid-gig which will anger you and make you put your foot through your $500 tablet.

Tons of nice effects, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. And I actually like digital stuff.

I wasn't aware it had amp sims, but it doesn't change my opinion of it because it's still a tablet in a pedalboard. Big gimmick, in my opinion.

If it's strictly studio only, I guess it would be nice. Only if you already have an iPad. I have an iPad myself and I'd still consider other options if I really wanted an FX unit. If I wanted an FX unit with amp sims, there are plenty of devices out there for the same price that do it without needed a tablet crammed into it.

At the end of the day, it's about what you want. Maybe you can find a store that has a demo unit set up to try out.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
lemurflames
Ronnie
40 IQ
Quote by jtcline99
If I just have an Iphone, what do I need to use that for effects?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ik-multimedia-irig-stomp-guitar-interface

There's this. But it's quite limited.

JamUp is also compatible with iPhone. But you'll need an adapter. Those range from $20 to $99. Research the **** out of the adapters. It seems some are crap. Then you need to buy the amp and FX packs. They come in bundles of $10 each, usually. Sometimes less if you get a sale. They can be found in the in-app store in JamUp.

Then... You have...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/digitech-istomp-downloadable-stompbox

But the price is ridiculous. $150 for the pedal and then I think you have to buy the digital pedals. Don't quote me on that. This one seems like a big cash grab to me. The pedals are stupidly priced and they intend for you to buy multiple pedals. (Though you don't have to.)

I will say that I like the pedals and the stickers. Kinda mesmerizing.

There are probably better things to spend $150 on.
Ibanez RG652KFX Prestige
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Last edited by lemurflames at Jan 28, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Quote by lemurflames
My issue with it is that it's $500 for the pedal + the iPad. There are better ways to spend $500 if you want an FX unit. And while iOS is stable, apps do crash. The last thing you want is for the app to crash on you mid-gig which will anger you and make you put your foot through your $500 tablet.

Tons of nice effects, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. And I actually like digital stuff.

I wasn't aware it had amp sims, but it doesn't change my opinion of it because it's still a tablet in a pedalboard. Big gimmick, in my opinion.

If it's strictly studio only, I guess it would be nice. Only if you already have an iPad. I have an iPad myself and I'd still consider other options if I really wanted an FX unit. If I wanted an FX unit with amp sims, there are plenty of devices out there for the same price that do it without needed a tablet crammed into it.

At the end of the day, it's about what you want. Maybe you can find a store that has a demo unit set up to try out.

I agree in most respects, and have many of those same concerns. One thing that alleviated those somewhat was that- supposedly- the iPad does not need to be attached for the pedal to function. IOW, you plug in, set up your signal chain how you want it, then may opt to remove the iPad. (Handy, if you're worried about stepping on the iPad itself...)

The good: this means it is improbable that you would suffer an app crash while playing, since it would seem that the functional part of the chain is self contained within the pedal.

The bad: you could still suffer an app crash while changing your setup between songs.

But yeah, I haven't bought one since I prefer standard pedals...but it is right now the front-runner for me owning a MFX pedal.

alhaq369
jtcline99
20 IQ
Ok guys so here is the question then! I am new to the electric, I have played only accoutsic for about 13 years and never really wanted to play electric till I watched Joe Banamassa! What should I do than? Should I just buy a regular effects pedal, or stick with the Iphone and Ipad idea that I originally had?
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
If you want to emulate Joe B., invest in a decent tube amp- I prefer combos for ease of use- a few good pedals and a quality guitar with at least one if not two humbuckers.

alhaq369
hminh87
Justin here!
340 IQ
Does any of these actually use the tablet other than as a control interface?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

jtcline99
20 IQ
Danny,
I actually bought a Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, I love it and i have a Peavy amp, but it's old and kinda a pile of shit! I also have an old Fender Tube amp as well. I don't want to emulate Joe B, but I do want to pick ff of him and try to get better as a guitarist. For so long I have tied myself to a couple of different styles of music, just want to expan d a bit I guess. But I would love to be able to add a few effects into things and be able to change things up that way as well!
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Well, which Fender amp is it, and how does it sound?

Anywho- it boils down to a matter of preference. If there is any MFX pedal I would buy right now, it would be that DigiTech IPB-10.

However, as stated before, I ally do prefer individual pedals. It may be purely psychological, it may be my ears are telling me things that are not registering on a conscious level- it doesn't matter.

Keep your eyes open: read reviews, look at sales, etc.- and occasionally try out some pedals in store. If you slowly build your pedalboard with nice pedals, you will NOT be sorry in the long run.

alhaq369
jtcline99
20 IQ
Awesome! Maybe that's what I will do. Build an individual pedal board. Thanks alot man I appreciate it!!
jtcline99
20 IQ
I will have to look at the amp and see what it is. I think it is a Bass master, or Music master something like that.I bought an old Bass when I was 17 and the amp came with it.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Fender Bassman? Those have a certain following.

alhaq369