Well, I got this guitar from my friend for free (you can see why). I gladly picked it up from him so I can repair it!

Sad Guitar =(

What I'm gonna do is take the remaining fretboard off and put on an Ebony one, and make it fretless! So far I just have the board, I'm working on finding shops around my college campus and seeing what supplies I have. If not I'll just have to get it all from Stemac.

"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Feb 2, 2013,
What in the sweet flying fuck happened to that thing
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Not really sure, what he told me didn't really match to what happened! lol I think he just was being not smart and just cranked on the truss rod until popped the board right off or something, and continued to rip it off, it's in a good family now
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Damn, at least it was free.

I wish I had a 350DX, hopefully your project goes well!
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Just a tiny update, bought the supplies I need today, should be able to start next week when it gets here!

And here's another pic just cuz!

If he cranked the truss rod, you'll probably need to get a new one. Don't know if that nut or the thread is just going to be ****ed as soon as you try to adjust it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Aw man, if you didn't live on the other side of the world i have a spare neck from a 250dx... with a fret board
Wonderful project! And if you dont like it fretless, you can always add frets later. I am just finishing a semi-fretless project. (similar story, inherited a guitar with missing fretboard.) It's pretty strange playing a fretless 6 string. Single notes are OK, but some of the simplest chords (E and A) become nearly impossible. On the plus side, slides sound freakishly new. (Invalid img)
^ that video was awesome, i liked the way that dude explained his stuff...
Quote by RebuildIt

Yep! That's part of what made me thing of making it a fretless! Plus it's probably a little cheaper I got some stuffs in the mail today, so maybe I'll start on it today, I should at least post some pics though!
Quote by eddiehimself
If he cranked the truss rod, you'll probably need to get a new one. Don't know if that nut or the thread is just going to be ****ed as soon as you try to adjust it.

So I'm guessing this is not good?

Last edited by M_16A at Feb 2, 2013,
bump for someone to answer my question?
I'm not sure what's going on with that truss rod. Measure it, and then order a new one.

Here is the one I use: http://www.allparts.com/LT-1422-000-Double-Action-Truss-Rod_p_2150.html

I believe these are the ones ExplorerBuilder uses: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truss-Rod-Steel-18-1-8-Two-way-adjustment-/230887447212?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c1f6daac

And this one looks like the same one in your guitar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-DOUBLE-STYLE-GUITAR-TRUSS-ROD-NUT-17-5-16-new-/200596978940?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eb482fcfc

Personally, I wouldn't use that last one, the weld on it looks pretty weak.
Here's an update for any one who cares,

New truss rod came came in and its time to start the work!

Glued and Clamped

After trimming and some sanding on the edges, it matches up with the neck, now to start the long process of sanding!
that looks sweet man, you should make a video to show us how it sounds
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the stewmac truss rod didn't fit all the way into the route. Those things require a 1/2" deep route.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Feb 26, 2013,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Is the top of that still rough cut??? i sure hope you planed the back of it before you glued it on!

Yeah the back side was the side that was smooth and level, I figured since I'm going to be sanding it away anyways the flat side should be glued and the rough side should be showing

Quote by W4RP1G
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the stewmac truss rod didn't fit all the way into the route. Those things require a 1/2" deep route.

It fit for the most part, I did have to take a little out where the adjustment nut is

once it's all said and done I do plan on post a video though!
Holy crap, that's really thick... I hope you have a lot of time in your hands.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You really should have surfaced the rough side before you glued it on man. Now it will be near impossible to get uniformly flat and the same thickness across.

Well so far it seems to look good, it's definitely going to take some sanding though, well I you always learn your first time around!
Dude this is the coolest thread ive seen thus far. Really cool to see how it has all come together. Ive always wanted to see how this is done. Hope to see this video soon!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Here's a question for everyone, if I were to sand off the back of the neck just to remove the lacquer and stuff, would I need to coat it in anything or is it fine just sanded off? Because aren't satin neck finishes just like non lacquered necks?
Quote by M_16A
Here's a question for everyone, if I were to sand off the back of the neck just to remove the lacquer and stuff, would I need to coat it in anything or is it fine just sanded off? Because aren't satin neck finishes just like non lacquered necks?
It would be an idea to finish it with something to protect the raw wood and stop it from getting grubby. Tung oil maybe.
Quote by M_16A

Yes you will need to coat the neck. I did the same for my strats original neck and took off all the poly and coated it in Tung Oil. The vibration are gonna soar through that neck like crazy. I recomend it for anybody.

Or you can finish it with Nitro, poly whatever floats your boat.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Your best bet, and probably the only way you are goign to get it uniformly flat and level, is to make a long 20" sanding beam.

This. Do this. Home Depot sells some square steel tubing stuff, you could take a straight edge to them and find the one with the flattest surface.

Quote by M_16A

Satin finishes are not bare wood! A satin finish is achieved by adding a flattening agent to the lacquer/poly. And despite popular belief, you can't achieve a "satin" finish by scuffing a finish with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad. That is just a flat finish.

Do yourself a favor and get some tru-oil. You can find it at some sporting goods stores, gun shops, and pawn shops. It's made for gun handles, but it's awesome for guitars. 1-2 coats on a maple neck and you'll be good to go.
ah ok well, maybe for the next mod! it seems to be coming along nicely, and from my untrained eye it seems to have a pretty good uniform raidus on it. almost done!
When I made my first (and only so far) fretboard I did all the shaping and sanding before I glued it onto the neck.

On a different guitar, http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/RebuildIt/pictures/gear/978557/1175560 I left the neck natural with nothing on it. It feels SO good and it is fast! (well, there's some natural body oils on it. I have a bit more oil coming off my hands than some people.) It's been like that two years now and its doing fine. I dont think you need to worry about it "getting grubby" unless you are a moron and play with dirty hands. The same grub that would get on a wooden neck will also look bad on a lacquered or painted neck. I realize that having an unfinished surface also means that I can't leave my guitar out in the rain.
Well It's done and boy is it purty!

After a lot of time and work it's finally done, it plays great, now it's just a matter of learning how to play the thing!

and as the first of many mods to come to this guitar, a killswitch!

As I said before, I'll upload a video of it, probably tomorrow when I'm not busy!
Quote by von Layzonfon
Subtle killswitch.

I wanted a red one but they were out! lol