Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
looks more like vintage white to me. i thought olympic white was more of a pure white (or maybe that's alpine white i'm thinking of ). I'm no expert on colour terminology, though

EDIT: this might help http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/color-chart/ from that, olympic white is more cream than i thought (). but i'm not sure it's as creamy as the one you posted, either. that being said, if the one you posted has a nitro finish it'll have decoloured with age, so all bets are off...

also it looks like what i was thinking of was arctic white, not alpine white
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 31, 2013,
Fundis
536 IQ
Yep!
But is seems to me like it is hard to find vintage whites these days!
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
Fender finishes are often impossible to distinguish, especially in pictures. The blues and greens especially seem to change year to year.

That finish could certainly be Vintage or Olympic white, or even Desert Sand or Pearl White that's been gigged in a smoky bar for a few years. I've even seen some butterscotch finishes that were thick enough that they looked like that. So call it Vintage White if that seems closest, but it could easily be something else.

Fender colors are more suggestions than actual descriptors.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
I'm pretty sure that is what they consider "vintage white".

As Dave said, Fender's "white" colors are confusing as hell sometimes. Vintage white, Olympic white, Arctic white, Pearl white.... Unless you see them all side-by-side, it's kinda hard to tell which one is which.

What ever happened to just"white" or "aged white"? Why do we need 20 different ****ing variations?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
Because people like and buy all of them.

Ever been to a paint store? They've got 120 shades of 'off-white' there. They've got off-white that's so far off white that it's red.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
Because people like and buy all of them.

Ever been to a paint store? They've got 120 shades of 'off-white' there. They've got off-white that's so far off white that it's red.

I know, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

I mean, I'm all for lots of color choices, but seriously? Do we really need 120 choices of "off-white" like you mentioned? It's starting to get kind of ridiculous.

On the other hand.... Ibanez only has two colors these days - gloss black and matte black
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
I don't see why not. There a billion shades of blue, why not six shades of white/cream/tan gradient?

I get that people think of white and think that's only one color, so maybe they should just stick with Arctic White and rename the rest something else? It seems that the problem is more that they're calling stuff white that isn't actually white.
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Quote by Roc8995
It seems that the problem is more that they're calling stuff white that isn't actually white.

Yeah, that too. I wouldn't mind that stuff to be labeled as "creme" or some type of yellow.

There just isn't really that much difference IMO..
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by stonyman65

On the other hand.... Ibanez only has two colors these days - gloss black and matte black

Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp