food1010
Bassist
285 IQ
So I picked up a Silvertone SRK1 (http://www.silvertoneguitar.com/products/electric_srk1/index.htm) a while back, essentially free, and it's just been sitting around my house. I want to get it into somewhat decent condition and probably sell it.

It needs a lot of work, most notably new hardware. The pickups sound terrible, the pots are essentially worthless, and it could use a new toggle switch. I feel like the pickups are the worst part of the whole guitar and if I spent a few bucks I could get it sounding way nicer.

I'm just wondering how much money I could put into it and expect to get back at resale. I'm not really worried about turning a big profit, I just don't want to put a bunch of money into it and not be able to get rid of it for the price I ask.

I looked up the pricing for it and I could only find it in the starter packs, which were around 200 (400 MSRP). So if I place the guitar at roughly 100 and put around 150 into it, I think I could probably get it to sell for at least 200, maybe 250 or more if I market it well.

So what are your thoughts? Should I just give it a good setup and try to get rid of it while I'm ahead, or would it be fine to put a decent amount of money into it? I've got a bunch of guitars I need to fix up so any experience is always a good thing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
jetwash69
244 IQ
Well if nobody else is going to bite...

If you want the experience, then go for it. Check out GFS for inexpensive parts.

But be prepared to take a loss on it if you try to sell it. Mods rarely increase the street value of a guitar, but they can add a lot of value to the person making the mods.

Good luck.
Telecaster7
Call me Leon
131 IQ
What a horrible looking guitar.

Sorry. As said earlier, you probably won't make up much money on it, because it's a fairly cheap and useless guitar as it is, and people don't usually pay more for modified guitars.

However, I completely second guitarfetish. Excellent parts, and good prices.