I've got these 3 extra 12ax7's lying around, so I figured I'd do something cool with them. The first thing I thought of was a fuzz pedal with a tube in it. Is this possible? I've heard of people replacing the transistors with tube sockets/tubes, but I can't get any legit confirmation. If it is possible, does anyone have a schematic or instructions? Any input or other ideas for tube pedals is awesome! Thanks guys
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Does it have to be a 12au7? or can I replace that with my 12ax7?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Sweet thanks. I'm a little confused though due to multiple diagrams, does it require a pcb?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
Sweet thanks. I'm a little confused though due to multiple diagrams, does it require a pcb?

it doesnt but pcb usually make it cleaner and easier to do it

you can buy a perfboard if you dont want to or dont have the reasources to make a pcb
From what I understand the 12ax7s need the large plate voltages, where as the 12au7s were designed to operate with low or high voltages.
After my current project I want to take a stab at building a tube distortion pedal, I figure one way to do it would be using the ic and capacitor network of the murder one http://www.google.ca/search?q=murder+one+amp&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=uPwLUYOOH4HzyAGiroHYBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=480&bih=208#i=1
But for a single tube pedal.
Last edited by Arab_Philosofer at Feb 1, 2013,