Page 161 of 161
Quote by chrismendiola
I really didn't see Trout getting the MVP. I mean, he was the best overall in the AL, but he was also on the Angels lol. I'm exaggerating. But still.
That's so bogus. Trout was the best player in the AL and probably all of baseball, what does the team he's on have to do with whether or not he should win an award for individual performance?

Trout should have five MVPs by now including this year.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Last edited by BrainDamage at Nov 17, 2016,
Quote by BrainDamage
That's so bogus. Trout was the best player in the AL and probably all of baseball, what does the team he's on have to do with whether or not he should win an award for individual performance?

I didn't say he didn't deserve it.
Quote by chrismendiola
I didn't say he didn't deserve it.
Never said you didn't. It's a common argument, but it's a ridiculous argument.
Quote by Thefallofman
Last edited by BrainDamage at Nov 17, 2016,
Quote by BrainDamage
Never said you didn't. It's a common argument, but it's a ridiculous argument.

Oh, okay. Glad we're on the same page...

Just as always, in spite of being amazing, José Altuve comes up short next to the competition. Guess it was just too tall a task for him. His numbers just weren't big enough. He'll have to really make a big leap to win it next year.

I love the guy but "José Altuve is short" jokes will never stop being funny to me

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 17, 2016,
Also, let's talk offseason moves.

Yanks just traded Brian McCann for two pitching prospects, both quite young (the oldest of whom is 21, same as as I am whoa) and haven't seen any action over high-A. This trade looks kinda mediocre, but it's obviously way too early to judge them. Now it looks like the front office is looking to stock up the bullpen again, and have floated an offer to Chapman, which is a joke. As if he's gonna wanna leave after having just two minutes ago won a championship (and a team that looks like it's going to dominate for years to come) for a team in the middle of rebuilding.
Quote by BrainDamage

Trout should have five MVPs by now including this year.

I for one just can't give the Most Valuable Player award to a guy who finished last. I understand the other point of view, i really do, but there's just no way giving MVP to a guy in last place makes any sense to me. The team is shit, and not having him would have literally no bearing in the standings, so how could he be the most valuable if his impact makes no difference.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
also, fuck the yankees for even looking in encarnacion's direction. fuck em.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by chrismendiola
Also, let's talk offseason moves.

Yanks just traded Brian McCann for two pitching prospects, both quite young (the oldest of whom is 21, same as as I am whoa) and haven't seen any action over high-A. This trade looks kinda mediocre, but it's obviously way too early to judge them. Now it looks like the front office is looking to stock up the bullpen again, and have floated an offer to Chapman, which is a joke. As if he's gonna wanna leave after having just two minutes ago won a championship (and a team that looks like it's going to dominate for years to come) for a team in the middle of rebuilding.
They dumped some salary, cleared a spot for Sanchez to start every day, got a couple of prospects, and can now go after Encarnacion for DH. I think it was a good move.

Quote by Acϵ♠
I for one just can't give the Most Valuable Player award to a guy who finished last. I understand the other point of view, i really do, but there's just no way giving MVP to a guy in last place makes any sense to me. The team is shit, and not having him would have literally no bearing in the standings, so how could he be the most valuable if his impact makes no difference.
Trout was the best player in baseball, but because the front office didn't put a good team around him he shouldn't even be considered for MVP? He led baseball in wRC, wRC+, wRAA, WAR, win probability added, was second behind David Ortiz in wOBA by 0.001, was a good baserunner and an average defender. In what way does any of that make him not the most valuable player to his team?
Quote by Thefallofman
because it ultimately didn't matter. If the Angels didn't have Trout, the result would still be the same. They would suck. If the Sox didn't have Mookie they (probably) don't even make the playoffs. To me, Betts is significantly more valuable to the sox than Trout is to the Angels. I totally understand and get that Trout was the best player in baseball this season (again) but most valuable to his team? Nah.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Mariners trade away their shortstop of the future in Ketel Marte (our fastest starter on the slowest team in the league), and #1 pitcher of the future after Felix, in one Taiwan Walker.

In exchange for Jean Segura and two minor league prospects from the Diamondbacks.

I know nothing of Segura because my lack of National Leauge player knowledge, but it looks like he hit. 319 in a full year of work in 2016. I don't know his style but he is a shortstop so I assume he is somewhat athletic.

Why I hate this trade: It's the Mariners, one of the worst franchises in MLB history. We have always had tons of talent, but can't put it together and squander it. The Mariners have had everyone at some point, huge names too. Trades don't work out. People leave and do much better. The all time record is a reflection of this. Even last year with Trumbo and Saunders. I am hoping Taiwan is not one of those countless players we gave up on too early (Adam Jones). This also leaves a huge gap at pitcher. I expect a veteran arm to be signed soon.

Why I like the trade: Murderers row from the 2-5 hole. Segura, Cano, Cruz, Seager. If they all hit above .270 like last year, this is RBI city.

Also, Walker is very talented but very up and down. He was either a shut out or get blown out pitcher. I won't miss the blow outs. He and Marte were also injured on and off all year. Marte sophomore slumped but was turning it around.

Ballsy move by Dipoto. Only time will tell. Gives me something to talk about during football season.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by TheChaz
Jean Segura holy shit. No dude he's bad.
He had a good year last year
Quote by Thefallofman
This sums it up pretty well: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mariners-and-dbacks-exchange-upside-and-downside/

Segura's first full season was good too. There are a lot of "ifs" on both sides of the trade.
Quote by Thefallofman
Cespedes re-signed with the Mets, 4 years, $110MM. It's a lot of money, but it was for the bat that they desperately needed to keep in the middle of the order so I can't really blame them for going all in. Plus, it's only a 4-year deal and they had planned on paying him 2 of those years before he opted out so it's essentially a 2-year extension.

Also, new CBA is done. Some highlights:

• All-Star game no longer determines home field advantage in the World Series. It will now be determined by the team with the best regular season record.
  • A's will be phased out of revenue sharing.
  • Signing a player offered a qualifying offer will no longer cost a team a first round pick. Jayson Stark says teams over the luxury tax will sacrifice a second and fifth round pick, teams under the tax will sacrifice a third round pick. Sign two QO players and they lose the next highest pick(s) as well (third and sixth, fourth, respectively). Stephen Hawkins and Ronald Blum of the Associated Press say teams over the luxury tax lose second and fifth highest, revenue-sharing recipients lose their third highest pick, and all other teams lose their second highest.
  • A player will only be able to be offered a qualifying offer once in their career and will have 10 days to consider it, instead of 7.
  • Draft pick compensation for teams losing a player that was offered a QO changes slightly, if the player signs for $50MM the pick is still at the end of the first round but if the player signs for under $50MM the pick is "after competitive balance round B" and if the team is over the luxury tax the pick is after the fourth round.
  • Luxury tax will be $189MM this year and will rise to $210MM over the five-year deal. Penalties for exceeding the tax are now 20% (first time), 30% (second time), and 50% (third), plus an extra 12% for going 20-40MM over. If a team is over 40MM over the tax they get the max penalty that is apparently an additional 42% plus their top draft pick falls 10 spots.
  • International signing bonus pools are capped depending on revenue.
  • There will be additional drug testing and players suspended for drug policy violations will not be able to accrue service time.
  • Number of players on active rosters remain unchanged.
  • Season extends from 183 days to 187.
  • Minimum salaries will rise to $535,000 next year, $545,000 the year after, and $555,000 in 2019.
  • Most importantly, each team must hire a chef for their players and must provide two bus seats per player on Spring Training bus trips.
Quote by Thefallofman
Last edited by BrainDamage at Yesterday
Also, I'm pretty that the home field advantage goes to the division winner should there be a WS like in 2015 where one team won the wild card and more regular season games than the opposing team that won the division.
I thought I read that somewhere, but the MLBTradeRumors article detailing the new CBA has it listed as "the World Series team with the better regular-season record" so I went with that.

EDIT: The Associated Press article I referenced says it is the pennant winner.
Quote by Thefallofman
Last edited by BrainDamage at Yesterday
Some good things but not nearly enough changed and more ridiculous Byzantine rules about draft picks and QO's is completely unnecessary
Wow, i actually really like the new deal. It's a hell of a lot better than the recent NHL and NBA cba deals...
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.