Page 154 of 154
chrismendiola
964 IQ
As far as PED usage goes, it's difficult to demonize baseball players when so many others were using, too. Cheating's pretty rampant in the sport.

A-Rod's a special case, though. There's a lot to hate about him- he got caught twice, lied very adamantly about it, and then tried to sue everyone. Not to mention all of the other things you could hate about A-Rod. He's since repaired his image, but I can totally see why a player of his caliber and notoriety get special attention with regards to PED usage. Who even cares that Dee Gordon used them? In fact, it's a little comical, in his case. But when somebody who would otherwise be a no-brainer Hall of Fame candidate, I can see why it's a different conversation.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,267 IQ
Anyone go to minor league games here?

Saw the Tacoma Rainiers get worked by the Sacramento River Cats a couple of days ago

Quote by chrismendiola
As far as PED usage goes, it's difficult to demonize baseball players when so many others were using, too. Cheating's pretty rampant in sports.

ftfy
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture
4,256 IQ
Quote by chrismendiola
As far as PED usage goes, it's difficult to demonize baseball players when so many others were using, too. Cheating's pretty rampant in the sport.

A-Rod's a special case, though. There's a lot to hate about him- he got caught twice, lied very adamantly about it, and then tried to sue everyone. Not to mention all of the other things you could hate about A-Rod. He's since repaired his image, but I can totally see why a player of his caliber and notoriety get special attention with regards to PED usage. Who even cares that Dee Gordon used them? In fact, it's a little comical, in his case. But when somebody who would otherwise be a no-brainer Hall of Fame candidate, I can see why it's a different conversation.
I think a lot of the hate for A-Rod comes from how he handled the situation...blatantly lying, trying to cover it up, etc., and that can probably be said about anyone who's been caught. No one's going to remember Dee Gordan used steroids, he came out immediately and said he made a mistake and accepts the consequences (he did pull the "I did not do so knowingly" card though). Honestly though I just don't even care.
Quote by Dreadnought
Anyone go to minor league games here?

Saw the Tacoma Rainiers get worked by the Sacramento River Cats a couple of days ago
I was just in Seattle about a month ago and didn't even think to check for a minor league game (I was there during the MLB All-Star break). Love minor league baseball, I've seen both the Mets and Yankees short-season A teams, the Yankees AAA team in Scranton/Wilkes Barre, PA and the Phillies' AAA team in Lakewood, NJ.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
chrismendiola
964 IQ
Word. It really is a shame though that he tarnished an otherwise incredible legacy by using. It makes you wonder how things would have turned out if he never used.
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
Quote by BrainDamage
I think a lot of the hate for A-Rod comes from how he handled the situation...blatantly lying, trying to cover it up, etc., and that can probably be said about anyone who's been caught.

Yep. Going back to Palmeiro for me, it wasn't that he cheated, it was that he cheated, then lied under oath, finger-wagging and all, to Congress about it. Cover-up is worse than the crime, as they say.

ARod also had the PR misfortune of having a ridiculously huge contract. Ridiculous deals will always have ridiculous scrutiny, especially when you don't post an average north of .250 in the last three years, with single-digit homers in two of those three and nearly 250 strikeouts in that span. To be fair, the guy's over 40 years old, it's completely unreasonable to expect a man his age to produce like he did in his prime, but you get that scrutiny when you sign a contract worth over a quarter of a billion dollars that was written with the intention of you playing until you're 42.

Plus he plays for the Yankees. Any time you leave a smaller, more underdog-ish team for an organization in a big market like New York or LA or the bay area, or an organization with an assload of titles, or both, right or wrong, you're going to be seen as a villain.

If ARod played for the Brewers or the A's or another relatively tiny team, we'd probably still hate him for cheating and lying about it - hello Ryan Braun - but he wouldn't be this grand villain. He just happens to be in the right place, doing the wrong things, for the wrong amount of money, to get that label.

Quote by chrismendiola
Word. It really is a shame though that he tarnished an otherwise incredible legacy by using. It makes you wonder how things would have turned out if he never used.

That's the most painful part of it all. He was ridiculously talented coming up and early in his career in Seattle, if he hadn't used PEDs, he wouldn't have the huge HR numbers he has, but he'd probably still have a Cooperstown-level career. He didn't need them, and that just makes it more painful.
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern division champions, 2015: 81-81
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2015: 5-11
2015 Pick 'Em: 155-101
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 9, 2016,
chrismendiola
964 IQ
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know, guess I don't find usage of PEDs as abhorrent as you do. I grew up idolizing A-Rod and even through all of the shit he's done in his career, maybe I could just never find it in me to stop. I don't really know how to explain it. A lot of it is the nostalgia from when I was a kid copying his batting stance and cheering him on during games.

I should add that had he gone to the Red Sox, I'd probably have fuckin' hate him.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 9, 2016,
Standard_A440
Scottie Mac
55 IQ
Quote by chrismendiola

Rodriguez probably (very likely) would have been a Hall of Famer if he never touched a single PED. He didn't need it; much like Griffey Jr.

Rodriguez had natural talent that even all stars dream about. So did Bonds, who also simply didn't need the drugs. Yet if you are playing word association and someone says "Barry Bonds", immediately the answer is "steroids". Not seven-time NL MVP, not 762 HRs, nope. Steroids.

Side note: 3 of the only 4 members of the 40–40 club (40 home runs and stole 40 bases in the same season) are notorious druggies; A-Rod, Bonds and Conseco. And the other guy (Alfonso Soriano) was long suspected of it.
"Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day . . . Well, aren't we all?" - Vin Scully
TheChaz
Other Barry
545 IQ
Quote by BrainDamage
Only raised his OPS 0.027. What a bum.

Right there with you re: steroids. Also, Bonds is one of the best hitters to ever play the game.

I'm gonna guess the 2009 postseason helped too.

Raised his wRC+ 7 points though. Also had the third greatest game in history by WPA.

Shame about Prince Fielder
Standard_A440
Scottie Mac
55 IQ
Quote by TheChaz
Shame about Prince Fielder

It is. Especially if you are the Texas Rangers and Detroit Tigers who still have to pay him more than $100,000,000 over the next four seasons. Mets third baseman David Wright apparently has the exact same neck problem as Fielder.

Quirky, cool: Prince Fielder ended his career with the exact same number of home runs as his father, Cecil (319).
"Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day . . . Well, aren't we all?" - Vin Scully
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
Orioles down by two in the ninth, Jonathan Schoop hits a three-run homer to win it.

How have there not been situations yet that would let me make Supermanny or Superjones

TheChaz
Other Barry
545 IQ
Fuck that game so hard. I went into work with the Giants up 7-1 and the dodgers down 6-2.
chrismendiola
964 IQ
Remember when Ace said that the Blue Jays lacked pitching? The same Blue Jays that have the best rotation in baseball?
TheChaz
Other Barry
545 IQ
Quote by chrismendiola
Remember when Ace said that the Blue Jays lacked pitching? The same Blue Jays that have the best rotation in baseball?

Maybe the best rotation in the AL. Definitely not the best rotation in baseball
Acϵ♠
UG Board King
2,050 IQ
dude they have some weird as fuck, random "top 10" pitching stats individually but the jays have been getting fucked by their bullpen the whole season. it's offensive explosions like today that make the jays what they are, and i think it's going to show again in the playoffs this year. They simply won't win anything worth a damn until they fix their pitching. I still stand by that statement, it's no secret that they need a better staff to make a real dent in the postseason. Best rotation is a stretch but they've had some good series records against AL competition but basically any World Series calibre NL pitching will shred their batting and they'll be forced to grind out runs. And that's if they can even get to the WS which i don't think they will. They're a very good, but very flawed team still.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
TheChaz
Other Barry
545 IQ
Well the Giants finally did it. After a month of absolutely miserable 9-20 baseball, they fell to second place in the NLW after having the best record in baseball at the break. Not only that, but they traded away their top prospects and their 3B for garbage players that have been absolutely useless so far.
Acϵ♠
UG Board King
2,050 IQ
On the plus side, you still have Buster Posey!
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
"How the hell did the Orioles manage to lose a game where they had a 5-1 lead going into the second inning"

"Yeah that would do it"

Standard_A440
Scottie Mac
55 IQ
chrismendiola
Quote by chrismendiola

They do. But . . . Look at the World Series from last year (or any year, pretty much). Starting pitching gets you to a very nice place. The bullpen wins games. The Royals' pen last year was brilliant; the pen beat the Mets. The Jays don't have that. You see a human catastrophe like Brent Cecil coming on to blow a one-run lead after seven stellar innings from a starter and you might as well turn off the television before you endure the inevitable horror. That is their weakness. And, I may add, unfortunately, will be their demise.
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
Going to Orioles-Nationals tomorrow, my first game in years. Last time I went was smack dab in the middle of the six-season streak of 90+ loss seasons. Hopefully I'll actually get to see a win in-person for once

Also bringing along my camera and my shiny new lens, hopefully I can get some decent shots from where I'm sitting.

necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ

Super Davis homers are even more majestic when you watch the full arc, without any camera changes.

Thanks for capping off a great night, big guy.

Also I forgot just how well-designed Camden Yards is. Even the nosebleeds have great views!

More photos once I have more time to actually edit them.