Page 163 of 163
Quote by BrainDamage
After what just happened with Betances you think the Yankees will throw $30MM/year at Harper if he has a couple more "down" years?

Probably not, but I haven't really thought about that possibility. The two aren't really comparable, because Betances isn't quite the superstar that Harper is, and he's also not eligible for free agency. It's also not a big deal if Harper pans out to have a few more down years, because that free agent class is still loaded. I think Donaldson will be available, and if Harvey can bounce back from that injury, there's a chance the Yankees could poach him. Price and Kershaw can opt out (though, I don't see Kershaw going anywhere).

Four of the Yankees least productive contracts end that year. One of those is A-Rod, who gets paid $21 million to not play, one 3B, one LF, and one SP. Tanaka will probably opt-out, though, so we'll have to wait and see where they're gonna throw that money. It's almost a perfect situation having sports's richest franchise having spots available for young superstars. I think they'll be careful, seeing how the contracts of A-Rod, Teixiera, and Sabathia worked against them, but I highly doubt the Yankees will walk away from that offseason without signing at least one, if not two, huge contracts.
Quote by chrismendiola
Probably not, but I haven't really thought about that possibility. The two aren't really comparable, because Betances isn't quite the superstar that Harper is, and he's also not eligible for free agency. It's also not a big deal if Harper pans out to have a few more down years, because that free agent class is still loaded. I think Donaldson will be available, and if Harvey can bounce back from that injury, there's a chance the Yankees could poach him. Price and Kershaw can opt out (though, I don't see Kershaw going anywhere).
I know, I know, they're not really the same comparison. It's just ridiculous that the front office trashed Betances when they won the arbitration hearing because they thought he was asking for closer money when he's not a full-time closer and he had a bad September last year. They even claimed that Betances was partially to blame for their drop in ticket sales last year. If Harper has a couple more seasons like last year, which was not a bad year by any means, what's his market really going to be like? He's a Boras client and a highly touted young superstar, so we all know he'll be asking for an insane contract to begin with ($25-30MM/year?), but who is really going to give him that if his next two seasons are similar to the .243/.373/.441 he put up last year. If a clearly elite relief pitcher who had a couple of bad appearances at the end of last year is enough to get the Yankees' front office to act like they just did, what would a few down years from Harper do?

I'm really, really overthinking this but I think Harper is kinda fascinating, especially in this age of super ridiculous contracts. I was never 100% sold on him when he came up, especially when Trout was everything Harper was supposed to be and didn't get nearly as much acclaim at first. Harper clearly has elite talent and the potential to be one of the best players in baseball but outside of his 2015 MVP season he's been "just" above-average.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, I do think Matt Harvey is going to end up on the Yankees.

Quote by chrismendiola
Four of the Yankees least productive contracts end that year. One of those is A-Rod, who gets paid $21 million to not play, one 3B, one LF, and one SP. Tanaka will probably opt-out, though, so we'll have to wait and see where they're gonna throw that money. It's almost a perfect situation having sports's richest franchise having spots available for young superstars. I think they'll be careful, seeing how the contracts of A-Rod, Teixiera, and Sabathia worked against them, but I highly doubt the Yankees will walk away from that offseason without signing at least one, if not two, huge contracts.
Funny enough, I pulled up MLBTradeRumors this morning and the first article on the front page has this quote:

A number of key players, including Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, are set to become free agents in the 2018-19 offseason. But Cashman says the Yankees aren’t building their strategy on the availability of those types of talents. “We’re not planning that way,” says Cashman. “We’re waiting to transition out of some contracts and some older players and then eventually I’m hoping that we develop enough young players that would prevent us from having to go crazy in the free agent market. … Doesn’t mean we won’t participate in free agency, but we’re hoping to develop.”
So it looks like they're actually going to try and develop the young guys. I'm sure they'll try and fill an immediate need when that free agent class comes up, but it doesn't look like they're going to go nuts and sign everyone.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Last edited by BrainDamage at Feb 20, 2017,
Quote by BrainDamage
I know, I know, they're not really the same comparison. It's just ridiculous that the front office trashed Betances when they won the arbitration hearing because they thought he was asking for closer money when he's not a full-time closer and he had a bad September last year. They even claimed that Betances was partially to blame for their drop in ticket sales last year. If Harper has a couple more seasons like last year, which was not a bad year by any means, what's his market really going to be like? He's a Boras client and a highly touted young superstar, so we all know he'll be asking for an insane contract to begin with ($25-30MM/year?), but who is really going to give him that if his next two seasons are similar to the .243/.373/.441 he put up last year. If a clearly elite relief pitcher who had a couple of bad appearances at the end of last year is enough to get the Yankees' front office to act like they just did, what would a few down years from Harper do?

Re: Betances, I mean, the Yankees are just playing the game really well. I think they know Betances is worth a lot of money, but they're not gonna pay him more than they have to, and since he's still under team control, they can pay him as little as they want.

Quote by BrainDamage
I'm really, really overthinking this but I think Harper is kinda fascinating, especially in this age of super ridiculous contracts. I was never 100% sold on him when he came up, especially when Trout was everything Harper was supposed to be and didn't get nearly as much acclaim at first. Harper clearly has elite talent and the potential to be one of the best players in baseball but outside of his 2015 MVP season he's been "just" above-average.

And Harper has the superstar factor that Trout doesn't have. Trout is clearly the better player (many consider GOAT potential, or at least in that conversation) but Harper has people's attention because he's got the ego, the looks, and the explosive flare of a superstar. Trout is very quietly the best player in baseball, and Harper makes a lot of noise.

Quote by BrainDamage
EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, I do think Matt Harvey is going to end up on the Yankees.

Funny enough, I pulled up MLBTradeRumors this morning and the first article on the front page has this quote:

So it looks like they're actually going to try and develop the young guys. I'm sure they'll try and fill an immediate need when that free agent class comes up, but it doesn't look like they're going to go nuts and sign everyone.

I don't buy that. I think they'll go for a big contract. The only reason not to is the fear of it backfiring on the later years of the contract. They'll want to be careful, since they've definitely overspent on players like Ellsbury, and will have overpaid Teixiera, A-Rod, and Sabathia on the later years. However, Machado and Harper are still young, and seven years for either would be well within the reach of the front office. I think Yankees fans are gonna be patient enough to wait through the next season, but we're spoiled and we want our GM to spend. Unless these prospects (and Aaron Judge, Greg Bird, Gary Sanchez, etc.) explode, I think fans are gonna want a big contract. Also, Cashman's on the last year of his contract. Who knows if he'll be around to make that decision? I'd be really surprised if they don't sign at least one superstar next offseason.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Feb 20, 2017,
What do you guys think about all of this talk about speeding up the game? I'm generally for the idea. I'm not saying basketball needs to have the pace of basketball. But there's way too much dead time during baseball. I like a lot of the ideas that try to speed up the pace between plays, but major rule changes that overhaul large paces of the game have been put forward are ridiculous, most famous of which is Joe Torre's idea to put a runner on second at the beginning of every inning after the ninth.

Some of the ideas I've heard that I think should exist are:
  • Enforce the time limit a pitcher can take between pitches*
  • Limit mound visits
  • Enforce rules about leaving the batter's box
  • Cutting the extra pitches a reliever takes when he gets on the mound
  • Overhauling the replay system. Keep it, but so much time could be cut from it

I've heard a lot of ideas I don't like, such as prohibiting defensive shifts, changing the number of balls/strikes, limiting the number of relievers per inning, etc.
Though I don't know how to feel about this in tight playoff games
Quote by chrismendiola
most famous of which is Joe Torre's idea to put a runner on second at the beginning of every inning after the ninth.
Funny how Manfred immediately backtracked on that and said they didn't intend on implementing it in the majors. Definitely wasn't received well by anyone, and for good reason. What a terrible idea.

Quote by chrismendiola
Enforce the time limit a pitcher can take between pitches
EDIT: Read this wrong in my initial post. Yes, it's already a rule that no one enforces. Still, I'm part of the camp that thinks baseball has always been a game without a play clock and should stay that way.
Quote by chrismendiola
Limit mound visits
Not a fan. What happens when you're out of mound visits and the pitcher that's out there is getting absolutely shelled?
Quote by chrismendiola
Enforce rules about leaving the batter's box
This I like. Keep one foot in, no more Nomar Garciaparra routines.
Quote by chrismendiola
Cutting the extra pitches a reliever takes when he gets on the mound
I don't agree with cutting the 8 pitches a reliever takes in their first inning, but I think successive innings can be cut down. Reducing the time during which they can throw warmup pitches is a different story. I like the clock between innings too.
Quote by chrismendiola
Overhauling the replay system. Keep it, but so much time could be cut from it
Most recent info I can find on this is an article from April 2016 saying replays averaged about 1 minute and 54 seconds. Apparently that's down from 2 minutes and 7 seconds in 2014. I don't really see this as much of an issue.

Also, this new rule eliminating actually throwing pitches for an intentional walk is stupid.

So I guess it's pretty clear that in general I think Manfred is trying to fix things that aren't broken.
Quote by Thefallofman
Last edited by BrainDamage at Feb 24, 2017,
Trout has GOAT potential...? People seriously believe that?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠

If he stays healthy he'll probably end up in the top 5 all time.

If he retires at 40 he'll probably end up with somewhere around 140 WAR.
Quote by chrismendiola

The Yankees would be very smart to not pursue Tanaka if he opts out. He's a time bomb. If the Yankees FO smartens up and stops giving massive contracts to aging players, they'll be unstoppable again.
Quote by BrainDamage
Still, I'm part of the camp that thinks baseball has always been a game without a play clock and should stay that way.

I disagree, but I don't feel that strongly about it. A lot of other changes could be made to cut down the time between pitches. Batters have a part in this, too, so having them stay in the box ought to help with that.
Quote by BrainDamage
Not a fan. What happens when you're out of mound visits and the pitcher that's out there is getting absolutely shelled?

How often do you think a pitcher gets out of an inning because of multiple mound visits? I believe almost all pitchers get into that kind of trouble because they don't have the stuff that inning, not because they didn't get enough mound visits.

Quote by BrainDamage
I don't agree with cutting the 8 pitches a reliever takes in their first inning, but I think successive innings can be cut down. Reducing the time during which they can throw warmup pitches is a different story. I like the clock between innings too.

You could argue me out of this one, because I don't have a solid stance on it. Mainly, what I'm thinking is that relievers are in the bullpen warming up. Maybe there's something to getting on the mound and needing extra pitches. I don't know.
Quote by BrainDamage
Most recent info I can find on this is an article from April 2016 saying replays averaged about 1 minute and 54 seconds. Apparently that's down from 2 minutes and 7 seconds in 2014. I don't really see this as much of an issue.

1:54 for one replay is a bit absurd to me, let alone an average. Just on screen, you can see whether the call was right or not before the umpires can even get their headsets on. They may be ought to change the equipment. A good chunk of that 1:54 is probably spent going into the dugout, getting the equipment ready, and then putting it away. Wear an earpiece or something rather than going into the dugout. Other sports don't even consult other parties. They just have the refs watch it instead (not that baseball has to go that route. If you take longer than a minute looking at replays, I don't think it's gonna be any clearer what the right call is by watching it for another minute.
Quote by Acϵ♠
Absolutely has the potential. 48.5 bWAR in 6 years. He should have won MVP in every full season he's played so far in my opinion.

Quote by chrismendiola
I disagree, but I don't feel that strongly about it. A lot of other changes could be made to cut down the time between pitches. Batters have a part in this, too, so having them stay in the box ought to help with that.
True. A lot of this comes down to the players themselves though. I can't find average time of game numbers for Mark Buehrle but during his career he was usually the leader in the quickest pace for pitchers, averaging about 16-17 seconds between pitches. And who knows what that number would be if he didn't have to wait for batters to do their little routines between pitches. So it's entirely possible for the players alone to have a huge impact on the pace of play without MLB instituting any real changes.

Quote by chrismendiola
How often do you think a pitcher gets out of an inning because of multiple mound visits? I believe almost all pitchers get into that kind of trouble because they don't have the stuff that inning, not because they didn't get enough mound visits.
You need mound visits to take pitchers out of the game though. Do you mean mound visits by coaches only, or are players included? There is value to having a coach or player call time out to talk to a pitcher who can't keep his composure, or there might be sign mix-ups, defensive strategy, etc.

Quote by chrismendiola
You could argue me out of this one, because I don't have a solid stance on it. Mainly, what I'm thinking is that relievers are in the bullpen warming up. Maybe there's something to getting on the mound and needing extra pitches. I don't know.
Relievers also need to get a feel for the mound. Different pitchers throw from all different positions on the rubber, mess with the dirt, land in different spots with their front legs...a new reliever needs to get a feel for all those things. Also, if you're in for multiple innings and your offense has a huge inning, you could be sitting around not throwing for a while. Warmups help in that case too.

Quote by chrismendiola
1:54 for one replay is a bit absurd to me, let alone an average. Just on screen, you can see whether the call was right or not before the umpires can even get their headsets on. They may be ought to change the equipment. A good chunk of that 1:54 is probably spent going into the dugout, getting the equipment ready, and then putting it away. Wear an earpiece or something rather than going into the dugout. Other sports don't even consult other parties. They just have the refs watch it instead (not that baseball has to go that route. If you take longer than a minute looking at replays, I don't think it's gonna be any clearer what the right call is by watching it for another minute.
Fair points. Each game should have a dedicated replay ump in NYC so the decision comes quicker. I still think roughly 2 minutes is not a huge deal though.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by TheChaz
If he stays healthy he'll probably end up in the top 5 all time.

If he retires at 40 he'll probably end up with somewhere around 140 WAR.

wouldnt 140 only barely scrape him into the top 10? that doesnt even get him close to ruth.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠
wouldnt 140 only barely scrape him into the top 10? that doesnt even get him close to ruth.

140 would put him at #5 all time for position players.
Soooo.....not the GOAT. And that's assuming he plays until he's 40 and stays healthy. Yeah, im just not seeing it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by BrainDamage
True. A lot of this comes down to the players themselves though. I can't find average time of game numbers for Mark Buehrle but during his career he was usually the leader in the quickest pace for pitchers, averaging about 16-17 seconds between pitches. And who knows what that number would be if he didn't have to wait for batters to do their little routines between pitches. So it's entirely possible for the players alone to have a huge impact on the pace of play without MLB instituting any real changes.

Yeah, maybe, but I haven't noticed (mind you, I haven't been taking notes) any trend of players trying to speed up the game on their own accord. Even after guys like A-Rod, Ortiz, and Garciaparra have retired, there are still guys like Robinson Cano who go for a hike in between pitches. They (and everyone else) really ought to realize that baseball's gotta change if it wants to stay relevant.

Quote by BrainDamage
You need mound visits to take pitchers out of the game though. Do you mean mound visits by coaches only, or are players included? There is value to having a coach or player call time out to talk to a pitcher who can't keep his composure, or there might be sign mix-ups, defensive strategy, etc.

I didn't realize mound visits included pitching changes. What I mean is that any stoppage of play that includes a meeting between the pitcher and someone else that doesn't involve a pitching change. I'm not saying there's no benefit from mound changes, but sometimes, you get sick of watching three or four mound visits in an inning.

Quote by BrainDamage
Relievers also need to get a feel for the mound. Different pitchers throw from all different positions on the rubber, mess with the dirt, land in different spots with their front legs...a new reliever needs to get a feel for all those things. Also, if you're in for multiple innings and your offense has a huge inning, you could be sitting around not throwing for a while. Warmups help in that case too.

I considered this, but other sports don't do this. You don't have substitutions in basketball that are followed by having a shootaround. You don't have the quarterback or the kickers get a few practice reps on the field.

Quote by Acϵ♠

Well, GOAT potential was the argument. Trout is 25 and has had six MVP-calibre seasons. And Ruth played in a different time, so you can't just look at the numbers. They didn't let certain races play, and pitching wasn't as nuanced as it is now. That, and by all measures, Trout is more of a complete package. He can run, and he's a great fielder.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Feb 25, 2017,
Quote by chrismendiola
Well, GOAT potential was the argument. Trout is 25 and has had six MVP-calibre seasons. And Ruth played in a different time, so you can't just look at the numbers. They didn't let certain races play, and pitching wasn't as nuanced as it is now. That, and by all measures, Trout is more of a complete package. He can run, and he's a great fielder.

i fucking hate that argument. You guys were talking about GOAT as in greatest of all time, not greatest of all time starting after advanced statistics and improved dieting and pitching and diversity of athletes. If you have to start bringing out the whole "well, it was a different era back then, black players weren't allowed, yadda yadda" then i just can't in good conscience agree that Trout has GOAT potential if the best case scenario barely squeaks him into top 5 numbers. Sure he's a great fielder and all that good stuff, but as is tradition with baseball, without the numbers (as in a WAR that at least approaches Bonds' 162, and a few Gold Gloves to be the feather in his cap) i just don't know how you can call him the GOAT or even on track to that status. Never mind he's helped his team accomplish exactly nothing, which admittedly isn't his fault, but he's contributed literally nothing besides personal numbers.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠
i fucking hate that argument. You guys were talking about GOAT as in greatest of all time, not greatest of all time starting after advanced statistics and improved dieting and pitching and diversity of athletes. If you have to start bringing out the whole "well, it was a different era back then, black players weren't allowed, yadda yadda" then i just can't in good conscience agree that Trout has GOAT potential if the best case scenario barely squeaks him into top 5 numbers. Sure he's a great fielder and all that good stuff, but as is tradition with baseball, without the numbers (as in a WAR that at least approaches Bonds' 162, and a few Gold Gloves to be the feather in his cap) i just don't know how you can call him the GOAT or even on track to that status. Never mind he's helped his team accomplish exactly nothing, which admittedly isn't his fault, but he's contributed literally nothing besides personal numbers.

I don't know how you can compare the numbers of someone playing in 2017 with Babe Ruth, since the statistics are in two different contexts. If Babe Ruth were to play today, I don't think he'd have hit. 342 and 714 home runs.
You can also argue that if babe ruth were to play today he might even be better with proper modern dieting and training regimens. It goes both ways. The dudes in this thread said Greatest of All Time, and that includes players across every era. If they'd said Greatest Of Modern Era Starting in 19xx, that's a different story.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Comparing players from different eras is stupid and I hate it

Also Trout is absurdly good. He should have 5 or 6 MVPs and he's not even in his prime. Hope he gets to play on a team that isn't hot garbage soon

Also I agree with speeding up the game for the most part. Most teams are ok but stuff like Red Sox/Yankees games are almost unwatchable
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 26, 2017,
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah, maybe, but I haven't noticed (mind you, I haven't been taking notes) any trend of players trying to speed up the game on their own accord. Even after guys like A-Rod, Ortiz, and Garciaparra have retired, there are still guys like Robinson Cano who go for a hike in between pitches.
Which is exactly the problem

Quote by chrismendiola
They (and everyone else) really ought to realize that baseball's gotta change if it wants to stay relevant.
I don't get this. Attendance is as high as it's ever been, TV viewership is generally up too.

Quote by chrismendiola
I considered this, but other sports don't do this. You don't have substitutions in basketball that are followed by having a shootaround. You don't have the quarterback or the kickers get a few practice reps on the field.
Kickers take practice reps on the sideline. You'll see QBs throw on the sideline too. Can't speak for basketball, but pitchers put a lot of stress on their arm so I would think a couple of warmup pitchers after sitting on the bench is a good idea.

Quote by Acϵ♠
i fucking hate that argument. You guys were talking about GOAT as in greatest of all time, not greatest of all time starting after advanced statistics and improved dieting and pitching and diversity of athletes. If you have to start bringing out the whole "well, it was a different era back then, black players weren't allowed, yadda yadda" then i just can't in good conscience agree that Trout has GOAT potential if the best case scenario barely squeaks him into top 5 numbers. Sure he's a great fielder and all that good stuff, but as is tradition with baseball, without the numbers (as in a WAR that at least approaches Bonds' 162, and a few Gold Gloves to be the feather in his cap) i just don't know how you can call him the GOAT or even on track to that status.
WAR is cumulative. Ruth is the all-time leader in fWAR, but Trout has amassed approximately 28% of his fWAR total in approximately 32% of Ruth's total games played. wOBA has a ways to go, but he's been in the league for five full seasons. Hank Aaron and Willie Mays hit more home runs in their age 31-42 seasons than they did in their age 20-30 seasons.

Quote by Acϵ♠
Never mind he's helped his team accomplish exactly nothing, which admittedly isn't his fault, but he's contributed literally nothing besides personal numbers.
How many World Series did the Red Sox win when Ted Williams played for them? Willie Mays and the Giants? Bonds and the Pirates/Giants? Only one between the three of them. Angels have been pretty bad for four out of Trout's five full seasons, what more can he do other than being the best position player in baseball right now?

Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know how you can compare the numbers of someone playing in 2017 with Babe Ruth, since the statistics are in two different contexts. If Babe Ruth were to play today, I don't think he'd have hit. 342 and 714 home runs.
You can: wRC+. Trout is at 168, currently 7th all-time. Top 10 are the following:

1. Babe Ruth - 197
2. Ted Williams - 188
3. Lou Gehrig - 173
4. Rogers Hornsby - 173
5. Barry Bonds - 173
6. Mickey Mantle - 170
7. Mike Trout - 168
8. Ty Cobb - 165
9. Joe Jackson - 165
10. Stan Musial - 158

Trout will turn 26 this season. His career is off to a phenomenal start, and while it's obviously going to be incredibly difficult for him to top Ruth and Williams offensively, if he stays healthy he has a lot of time to try.
Quote by Thefallofman
Last edited by BrainDamage at Feb 26, 2017,
Quote by BrainDamage
Kickers take practice reps on the sideline. You'll see QBs throw on the sideline too. Can't speak for basketball, but pitchers put a lot of stress on their arm so I would think a couple of warmup pitchers after sitting on the bench is a good idea.

Basketball isn't the same because you're not relying on high bloodflow to the muscles responsible for shooting mechanics. As long as you're generally warmed up prior to the game, you're good to go. Baseball not so--i used to be a pitcher, and hoo boy i can tell you that if you don't warm up properly, you _will_ hurt yourself and cause serious, possibly irreparable damage. There's a reason pitchers are often on very strict pitch counts these days (but you already know all that lol)

WAR is cumulative. Ruth is the all-time leader in fWAR, but Trout has amassed approximately 28% of his fWAR total in approximately 32% of Ruth's total games played. wOBA has a ways to go, but he's been in the league for five full seasons. Hank Aaron and Willie Mays hit more home runs in their age 31-42 seasons than they did in their age 20-30 seasons.

How many World Series did the Red Sox win when Ted Williams played for them? Willie Mays and the Giants? Bonds and the Pirates/Giants? Only one between the three of them. Angels have been pretty bad for four out of Trout's five full seasons, what more can he do other than being the best position player in baseball right now?

You can: wRC+. Trout is at 168, currently 7th all-time. Top 10 are the following:

1. Babe Ruth - 197
2. Ted Williams - 188
3. Lou Gehrig - 173
4. Rogers Hornsby - 173
5. Barry Bonds - 173
6. Mickey Mantle - 170
7. Mike Trout - 168
8. Ty Cobb - 165
9. Joe Jackson - 165
10. Stan Musial - 158

Trout will turn 26 this season. His career is off to a phenomenal start, and while it's obviously going to be incredibly difficult for him to top Ruth and Williams offensively, if he stays healthy he has a lot of time to try.

These are the kinds of numbers i like to see. Most surprising to me is Stan Musial at 10. Trout having a wRC+ at 168 is pretty absurd, like imagine if he had even one other decent batter reliably getting on base ahead of him in the lineup. I do wonder, though, if he does go to a team like the Yankees or Sox if his numbers will take a dip. Wouldn't be the first time.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠
You can also argue that if babe ruth were to play today he might even be better with proper modern dieting and training regimens. It goes both ways. The dudes in this thread said Greatest of All Time, and that includes players across every era. If they'd said Greatest Of Modern Era Starting in 19xx, that's a different story.

The argument was GOAT potential, and given his numbers after five/six seasons, he has a chance at cracking the all-time leaders list, and he's more of a complete package than a lot of the players on that list. I definitely don't advocate for looking at statistics without context. That includes the time period.
Quote by BrainDamage
I don't get this. Attendance is as high as it's ever been, TV viewership is generally up too.

Yes, and this is happening while the game speeds up. All I'm saying is that those who argue for traditionalism are ignoring the fact that refusing to adapt to what people want (I think you'd find most people would agree baseball could benefit from being faster-paced), it's going to lose its relevance to other sports.
Quote by BrainDamage

Yes, exactly, they take their reps on the sideline. They don't take up more time from the game. In any case, I don't see these going away because it's time for advertisement.
Seeing Mariners vs Cubs and Reds in spring traiNing. It will be nice seeing NL teams, and while the stars won't be there because the Classic, I love seeing baseball period. Plus some of those young guys are battling for spots.

But let's be honest, the real reasons I am going is beer, sun, and baseball.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
So tired of Spring Training and WBC.  Can we get some real baseball going?
I mean I enjoy the WBC
[IMG]http://www.i.imgur.com/vzC5EKt.png[/IMG]

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
everyone here
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
Quote by necrosis1193
I mean I enjoy the WBC

I mean it's okay, but it's not played like real baseball, so it's hard to really attach any relevance to the results.
Quote by jhelkaa
Petition For an UG Fantasy Baseball League(S).

I'll play, but I've never done it before so I'll likely be shitty competition.
I tried fantasy baseball once. I wasn't able to keep up with all the roster transactions for 162 games to actually be competitive at all  

Quote by necrosis1193
I tried fantasy baseball once. I wasn't able to keep up with all the roster transactions for 162 games to actually be competitive at all  

Are you saying your league actually played 162 games or that you were trying to keep up with IRL baseball to play?
Quote by chrismendiola
Are you saying your league actually played 162 games or that you were trying to keep up with IRL baseball to play?

I made the mistake of joining a league with a bunch of hardcore baseball junkies. I just assumed that 162 was normal?

The United States of America has officially won its first-ever World Baseball Classic Title.

If Adam Jones isn't MVP then he'll have been robbed worse than he robbed Machado of a homer on this catch

Edit: Aww

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 23, 2017,
Quote by necrosis1193
I made the mistake of joining a league with a bunch of hardcore baseball junkies. I just assumed that 162 was normal?

Frok what I can tell, it's normally a weekly thing. At least that's how it seems to work with the people I know who play fantasy baseball.