Page 163 of 163
Quote by BrainDamage
After what just happened with Betances you think the Yankees will throw $30MM/year at Harper if he has a couple more "down" years?

Probably not, but I haven't really thought about that possibility. The two aren't really comparable, because Betances isn't quite the superstar that Harper is, and he's also not eligible for free agency. It's also not a big deal if Harper pans out to have a few more down years, because that free agent class is still loaded. I think Donaldson will be available, and if Harvey can bounce back from that injury, there's a chance the Yankees could poach him. Price and Kershaw can opt out (though, I don't see Kershaw going anywhere).

Four of the Yankees least productive contracts end that year. One of those is A-Rod, who gets paid $21 million to not play, one 3B, one LF, and one SP. Tanaka will probably opt-out, though, so we'll have to wait and see where they're gonna throw that money. It's almost a perfect situation having sports's richest franchise having spots available for young superstars. I think they'll be careful, seeing how the contracts of A-Rod, Teixiera, and Sabathia worked against them, but I highly doubt the Yankees will walk away from that offseason without signing at least one, if not two, huge contracts.
Quote by chrismendiola
Probably not, but I haven't really thought about that possibility. The two aren't really comparable, because Betances isn't quite the superstar that Harper is, and he's also not eligible for free agency. It's also not a big deal if Harper pans out to have a few more down years, because that free agent class is still loaded. I think Donaldson will be available, and if Harvey can bounce back from that injury, there's a chance the Yankees could poach him. Price and Kershaw can opt out (though, I don't see Kershaw going anywhere).
I know, I know, they're not really the same comparison. It's just ridiculous that the front office trashed Betances when they won the arbitration hearing because they thought he was asking for closer money when he's not a full-time closer and he had a bad September last year. They even claimed that Betances was partially to blame for their drop in ticket sales last year. If Harper has a couple more seasons like last year, which was not a bad year by any means, what's his market really going to be like? He's a Boras client and a highly touted young superstar, so we all know he'll be asking for an insane contract to begin with ($25-30MM/year?), but who is really going to give him that if his next two seasons are similar to the .243/.373/.441 he put up last year. If a clearly elite relief pitcher who had a couple of bad appearances at the end of last year is enough to get the Yankees' front office to act like they just did, what would a few down years from Harper do?

I'm really, really overthinking this but I think Harper is kinda fascinating, especially in this age of super ridiculous contracts. I was never 100% sold on him when he came up, especially when Trout was everything Harper was supposed to be and didn't get nearly as much acclaim at first. Harper clearly has elite talent and the potential to be one of the best players in baseball but outside of his 2015 MVP season he's been "just" above-average.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, I do think Matt Harvey is going to end up on the Yankees.

Quote by chrismendiola
Four of the Yankees least productive contracts end that year. One of those is A-Rod, who gets paid $21 million to not play, one 3B, one LF, and one SP. Tanaka will probably opt-out, though, so we'll have to wait and see where they're gonna throw that money. It's almost a perfect situation having sports's richest franchise having spots available for young superstars. I think they'll be careful, seeing how the contracts of A-Rod, Teixiera, and Sabathia worked against them, but I highly doubt the Yankees will walk away from that offseason without signing at least one, if not two, huge contracts.
Funny enough, I pulled up MLBTradeRumors this morning and the first article on the front page has this quote:

A number of key players, including Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, are set to become free agents in the 2018-19 offseason. But Cashman says the Yankees aren’t building their strategy on the availability of those types of talents. “We’re not planning that way,” says Cashman. “We’re waiting to transition out of some contracts and some older players and then eventually I’m hoping that we develop enough young players that would prevent us from having to go crazy in the free agent market. … Doesn’t mean we won’t participate in free agency, but we’re hoping to develop.”
So it looks like they're actually going to try and develop the young guys. I'm sure they'll try and fill an immediate need when that free agent class comes up, but it doesn't look like they're going to go nuts and sign everyone.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Last edited by BrainDamage at Feb 20, 2017,
Quote by BrainDamage
I know, I know, they're not really the same comparison. It's just ridiculous that the front office trashed Betances when they won the arbitration hearing because they thought he was asking for closer money when he's not a full-time closer and he had a bad September last year. They even claimed that Betances was partially to blame for their drop in ticket sales last year. If Harper has a couple more seasons like last year, which was not a bad year by any means, what's his market really going to be like? He's a Boras client and a highly touted young superstar, so we all know he'll be asking for an insane contract to begin with ($25-30MM/year?), but who is really going to give him that if his next two seasons are similar to the .243/.373/.441 he put up last year. If a clearly elite relief pitcher who had a couple of bad appearances at the end of last year is enough to get the Yankees' front office to act like they just did, what would a few down years from Harper do?

Re: Betances, I mean, the Yankees are just playing the game really well. I think they know Betances is worth a lot of money, but they're not gonna pay him more than they have to, and since he's still under team control, they can pay him as little as they want.

Quote by BrainDamage
I'm really, really overthinking this but I think Harper is kinda fascinating, especially in this age of super ridiculous contracts. I was never 100% sold on him when he came up, especially when Trout was everything Harper was supposed to be and didn't get nearly as much acclaim at first. Harper clearly has elite talent and the potential to be one of the best players in baseball but outside of his 2015 MVP season he's been "just" above-average.

And Harper has the superstar factor that Trout doesn't have. Trout is clearly the better player (many consider GOAT potential, or at least in that conversation) but Harper has people's attention because he's got the ego, the looks, and the explosive flare of a superstar. Trout is very quietly the best player in baseball, and Harper makes a lot of noise.

Quote by BrainDamage
EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, I do think Matt Harvey is going to end up on the Yankees.

Funny enough, I pulled up MLBTradeRumors this morning and the first article on the front page has this quote:

So it looks like they're actually going to try and develop the young guys. I'm sure they'll try and fill an immediate need when that free agent class comes up, but it doesn't look like they're going to go nuts and sign everyone.

I don't buy that. I think they'll go for a big contract. The only reason not to is the fear of it backfiring on the later years of the contract. They'll want to be careful, since they've definitely overspent on players like Ellsbury, and will have overpaid Teixiera, A-Rod, and Sabathia on the later years. However, Machado and Harper are still young, and seven years for either would be well within the reach of the front office. I think Yankees fans are gonna be patient enough to wait through the next season, but we're spoiled and we want our GM to spend. Unless these prospects (and Aaron Judge, Greg Bird, Gary Sanchez, etc.) explode, I think fans are gonna want a big contract. Also, Cashman's on the last year of his contract. Who knows if he'll be around to make that decision? I'd be really surprised if they don't sign at least one superstar next offseason.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Feb 20, 2017,