Page 164 of 164
ugh the orioles are gonna be a major pain in the jays' ass this season, i'll be surprised if we win a series
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by TheChaz
Madbum so far
Pitching
5 IP
0 H
7 K
0 BB
0 ERA

Hitting
2-2
1 HR
1 BB

I love that man.

Dude is a freak of nature and it's awesome. That was a fun game to watch.

So happy baseball is back  
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I, too, am thrilled baseball is back, because the Giants lost in the Wild Card Round and the Knicks are unbelievably bad and have a bleak future.

I see the Yankees winning 84 games this year. I'd do division predictions but I don't think there's a whole lot of room for debate for it.
i could see the yankees winning anywhere from 77 to 85 games, maybe even more if Gleyber Torres and Clint Frazier deliver on their inevitable call ups. Red Sox I'm expecting 95 or so to win the division, Jays and Orioles are probably both going to be right around 90 wins, Tampa will be lucky to win 70 lol. It'd be nice if the Jays could sneak in the playoffs, honestly im thinking it's gonna be another wild card showdown between the Jays and Orioles. Bonus: Sam Britton buries the Jays in said wild card game
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Apr 4, 2017,
84 is optimistic is on the optimistic side, but then again, I am a fan who's eager to have a good season. This season could go anywhere. It's hard to tell with a team full of young talent.
Giants pitchers batting 1.000. At least until Cueto takes his 2nd PA
Quote by chrismendiola
I, too, am thrilled baseball is back, because the Giants lost in the Wild Card Round and the Knicks are unbelievably bad and have a bleak future.

I see the Yankees winning 84 games this year. I'd do division predictions but I don't think there's a whole lot of room for debate for it.

84 seems fair if not a bit optimistic like you said, a lot needs to go right for them to really have a good year. Not impossible, but they have a bunch of question marks.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by Acϵ♠
ugh the orioles are gonna be a major pain in the jays' ass this season, i'll be surprised if we win a series

Honestly this whole division is a toss-up. The Orioles and Jays are teams at similar levels, the Red Sox are doing Red Sox things, and the Yankees are a boom-or-bust team, depending on how their call-ups do, they'll either have another season hovering near .500, or they'll surprise everyone with a push for a wildcard. The Rays are the only team that's probably not at least somewhat in it this year.

Quote by Acϵ♠
i could see the yankees winning anywhere from 77 to 85 games, maybe even more if Gleyber Torres and Clint Frazier deliver on their inevitable call ups. Red Sox I'm expecting 95 or so to win the division, Jays and Orioles are probably both going to be right around 90 wins, Tampa will be lucky to win 70 lol. It'd be nice if the Jays could sneak in the playoffs, honestly im thinking it's gonna be another wild card showdown between the Jays and Orioles. Bonus: Sam Britton buries the Jays in said wild card game

I was not aware that Sam Britton, Commissioner for the Southern District of the Mississippi Public Service Commission, was pitching for us
[IMG]http://www.i.imgur.com/vzC5EKt.png[/IMG]

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
After two nights of solid pitching(3 combined earned runs in 12.1 IP for starters, 0 runs from the bullpen in 7.2 innings), Ubaldo makes his first start of the year, and gives up 5 earned runs in 4.1 innings.

Some things never change.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Apr 7, 2017,
Quote by necrosis1193
After two nights of solid pitching(3 combined earned runs in 12.1 IP for starters, 0 runs from the bullpen in 7.2 innings), Ubaldo makes his first start of the year, and gives up 5 earned runs in 4.1 innings.

Some things never change.

Speaking of some things never change, guess who got shelled by the fucking Padres today?

MATT CAIN!!

I have no clue why he's still in the rotation. We are going into his 5th season in a row of being actively bad, and he's still not only on the roster, but in the starting rotation! MLB front offices need to learn to be more cutthroat. Or at least learn what sunk costs are
The Giants have managed to lose 3 one run games in the first 7 games of the regular season. They never fail to amaze.
Teams with a 6 run lead in the 9th are 2500-1. 

Mariners just made that 2500-2. 

When will it stop? 17 years of non playoff pain. 
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by necrosis1193
Honestly this whole division is a toss-up. The Orioles and Jays are teams at similar levels, the Red Sox are doing Red Sox things, and the Yankees are a boom-or-bust team, depending on how their call-ups do, they'll either have another season hovering near .500, or they'll surprise everyone with a push for a wildcard. The Rays are the only team that's probably not at least somewhat in it this year.

I was not aware that Sam Britton, Commissioner for the Southern District of the Mississippi Public Service Commission, was pitching for us

LOL fucksake i was thinking of sam dyson for some reason while writing that
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

I hate to say it, but I think we are the Cleveland Browns of the MLB. 
I was on the MLB.TV app and I wanted to watch some of the Yankees-CWS game. I tapped the game and it asked me to choose between the White Sox and Yankees broadcasts. My thumb literally hovered there frozen for a few seconds because I couldn't decide which was worse
Honestly I'd rather watch Yankees broadcasts on mute than have to listen to Michael Kay. You can't even go to radio because Sterling and Waldman are just as bad.
Quote by Thefallofman
I don't know why Michael Kay gets so much flack. Maybe I can see why you wouldn't like his radio show if you're not interested in the banter or overall foolishness (in which case, you can go listen to Francesa, who bores even himself to sleep). Not that I think he's a great broadcaster, but I've gotta believe he suffers from being associated with the Yankees.
I just don't think he's a good broadcaster at all, I find him so dull. I go back and forth on Francesa, sometimes he really gets on my nerves but other times, like when he has to deal with callers who don't have a clue what they're talking about, he's hilarious.

Also, this is one of my favorite rants ever:

Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
Honestly I'd rather watch Yankees broadcasts on mute than have to listen to Michael Kay. You can't even go to radio because Sterling and Waldman are just as bad.

i honestly think Buck Martinez is one of the best in the business, im real glad the Jays have him
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by BrainDamage
I just don't think he's a good broadcaster at all, I find him so dull. I go back and forth on Francesa, sometimes he really gets on my nerves but other times, like when he has to deal with callers who don't have a clue what they're talking about, he's hilarious.

Also, this is one of my favorite rants ever:

I can never enjoy Francesca even when he makes good points because he's the defining example of the angry yelling sports radio host who just says "This good team is good and this bad team is bad" but louder and with more hyperbole. I give him all the credit in the world, he's made a very nice career out of it, making nearly as much as the players he's covering, but I can never listen for more than five minutes without my ears hurting.

Quote by Acϵ♠
i honestly think Buck Martinez is one of the best in the business, im real glad the Jays have him

As always, I'm going to take this opportunity to plug the Orioles broadcast crew. Gary Thorne has a great voice and feel for the game, Jim Palmer is one of the most insightful color commentators in the business, and Joe Angel on the radio has a perfect voice for baseball.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Apr 18, 2017,
Quote by necrosis1193
I can never enjoy Francesca even when he makes good points because he's the defining example of the angry yelling sports radio host who just says "This good team is good and this bad team is bad" but louder and with more hyperbole. I give him all the credit in the world, he's made a very nice career out of it, making nearly as much as the players he's covering, but I can never listen for more than five minutes without my ears hurting.

Agree. I didn't enjoy that at all. There's absolutely no analysis of anything. It's just emotional catharsis for the drunk yelling sports bar type who is glad to see that "finally someone on TV is saying it."

That being said, 99% of sports TV and talk radio is unanalytic, hyperbolic trash, so whatever. I'd love to see a show run by the new wave of analytic baseball writers that would do a live presentation of some of the types of stuff that Fangraphs writes about where they go in depth with breaking down how a pitcher changed their arm slot which changed the velocity on their pitches by X MPH and the drop on their breaking ball by Y, which lead to Z% more whiffs, so their strikeouts have gone up. Or going into trying to find breakout players by looking at batted ball profiles. That would be so much more interesting than hearing a bunch of ex players talk about how "Chase Utley is just such a hard nosed old school guy."
Quote by necrosis1193

What pisses me off about him is it's never a discussion with callers, he always just interrupts them and kinda yells at them. Sometimes it's funny, like when a caller is just an idiot and asks stupid questions, but when someone brings up a good point and he doesn't let them talk because he doesn't agree it really gets on my nerves.

I love Gary Thorne, by the way.
Quote by Thefallofman
Yeah, I can't stand Francesa. His voice is repulsive to listen to. He's often rude to callers for no good reason. He's stubborn. He fell asleep on the air- twice. He said he doesn't believe women could become a head coach in the NBA. He just yells. He repeats what he says really often in different words (but I guess it's tough to fill five-six hours heh). And he's way too serious for my taste. Not that being serious is inherently a bad thing- his listeners obviously prefer that, but it's not for me.

While we're on the subject, why would anyone listen to Stephen A. Smith's radio show? I've tried it a few times and now I've lost my hearing. That guy gets more mad daily than I have ever gotten mad about anything in my life.
No hitter alert in Seattle...

...agsinst my M's

Quote by TheChaz
That being said, 99% of sports TV and talk radio is unanalytic, hyperbolic trash, so whatever. I'd love to see a show run by the new wave of analytic baseball writers that would do a live presentation of some of the types of stuff that Fangraphs writes about where they go in depth with breaking down how a pitcher changed their arm slot which changed the velocity on their pitches by X MPH and the drop on their breaking ball by Y, which lead to Z% more whiffs, so their strikeouts have gone up. Or going into trying to find breakout players by looking at batted ball profiles. That would be so much more interesting than hearing a bunch of ex players talk about how "Chase Utley is just such a hard nosed old school guy."

I went to school with a few people who work on the production side of sports media now, and unfortunately, that's by design, because the mass audience won't listen to the substantive stuff. Whether it's because it goes over their head because it's intricacies that are hard to understand if you didn't play, or because John Doe Viewer is busy and doesn't have the time in his average day to sit down and listen to an in-depth dissection of the pitching mechanics of this year's Cy Young favorite, it's simplified and uninformative by design. If you do the hardcore analysis, you're putting in more effort, and you'll get maybe 60% the audience if you're lucky. More work for less money is a hard sell when all you have to do to get the clicks/views/etc. rolling in is say something simple, outlandish, and controversial, with enough of a nugget of truth for homer fanboys to defend it. This is doubly true for radio, where if you hit the right nerve, you can just sit back, spend four hours taking calls, and basically let your audience do your work for you, all while letting you advertise that you "have a close, inclusive relationship with your active listeners that lets you touch the pulse of *Your market's team here* fans like nobody else!"

Quote by BrainDamage
What pisses me off about him is it's never a discussion with callers, he always just interrupts them and kinda yells at them. Sometimes it's funny, like when a caller is just an idiot and asks stupid questions, but when someone brings up a good point and he doesn't let them talk because he doesn't agree it really gets on my nerves.

Because calm, rational arguments don't get views. How many fans would spend time reading an in-depth analysis of Josh Donaldson vs. Manny Machado in terms of what they add to their team using advanced statistics and film analysis? Not many outside of diehards. How many would spend time reading a dramatic revisiting of their dumb feud a few years ago? Far more. How many people are going to watch a point-by-point breakdown of Peyton Manning's throwing mechanics? Maybe a few hundred. How many are going to watch a segment where Peyton makes a dozen Omaha jokes and talks about how happy he is in Denver? Thousands, at least.

Francesca doesn't let people with good points talk because if they do that, it slows the show down, it turns it into analysis, which doesn't get the same reaction and listeners as "hot takes" do. If he lets Caller A talk and explain why he thinks pitcher X is actually a really good prospect and why there's reasonable evidence that he's going to be an ace in the near future, that's boring and listeners are going to tune out and change the channel. If he lets caller B talk and start yelling about how pitcher X is a bum because he didn't have his command last night and the manager is an idiot for leaving him out there after the second, then you'll get other idiots who think pitcher X is a bum to call in and agree, as well as people who think pitcher X is good to call in and defend him. It's all by design, and it's the most effective way to do it in terms of turning a profit, but it sucks to listen to. Controversy and outlandish opinions sell, it's why we had to hear about Deflategate every day of the year for three years, or why the biggest story in every Oklahoma City-Golden State game this year wasn't how the teams actually match up, but how Westbrook and Durant's breakup was doing. If you can rile people up, that'll get you more money than an intelligent analytical breakdown.

It sucks, but it's the reality of the market. The hosts and analysts who put together the really cool content are either self-published or trapped on the small fringe outlets, and if they are on a big outlet, they're only ever on for more than two minutes in the timeslots that nobody watches or listens to, because the big outlets only care about the money machine that is Sports Shouting.

...I may or may not be absurdly cynical about sports media after the horror stories the aforementioned friends have told me

I love Gary Thorne, by the way.

Quote by chrismendiola
While we're on the subject, why would anyone listen to Stephen A. Smith's radio show? I've tried it a few times and now I've lost my hearing. That guy gets more mad daily than I have ever gotten mad about anything in my life.

I liked Stephen A. when he had Skip Bayless to make himself look good by comparison. Now that he has a normal human being sitting across from him he just feels like a slightly different style of annoying jackass. I'm not close enough to New York to get his show on FM, and my car doesn't have Sirius, so I don't get his show on there either, so I dunno how he is when he's solo on the radio.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Apr 19, 2017,
And right on cue, with rumors going around that he's about to go to the bullpen, Ubaldo turns in a gem that keeps him as a starter for another month. Only 3 strikeouts to 4 walks, but that's fine, because he gave up zero runs in 7.2 IP, with a base hit to boot.

I hate hating Ubaldo, I really hope he can be Good Ubaldo more often.

Bumgarner just crashed on a dirt bike, sprained his shoulder and will miss 2 months. RIP this season. It was already hanging on the edge and now it's already done by April.
Quote by necrosis1193
Because calm, rational arguments don't get views. How many fans would spend time reading an in-depth analysis of Josh Donaldson vs. Manny Machado in terms of what they add to their team using advanced statistics and film analysis? Not many outside of diehards. How many would spend time reading a dramatic revisiting of their dumb feud a few years ago? Far more. How many people are going to watch a point-by-point breakdown of Peyton Manning's throwing mechanics? Maybe a few hundred. How many are going to watch a segment where Peyton makes a dozen Omaha jokes and talks about how happy he is in Denver? Thousands, at least.

Francesca doesn't let people with good points talk because if they do that, it slows the show down, it turns it into analysis, which doesn't get the same reaction and listeners as "hot takes" do. If he lets Caller A talk and explain why he thinks pitcher X is actually a really good prospect and why there's reasonable evidence that he's going to be an ace in the near future, that's boring and listeners are going to tune out and change the channel. If he lets caller B talk and start yelling about how pitcher X is a bum because he didn't have his command last night and the manager is an idiot for leaving him out there after the second, then you'll get other idiots who think pitcher X is a bum to call in and agree, as well as people who think pitcher X is good to call in and defend him. It's all by design, and it's the most effective way to do it in terms of turning a profit, but it sucks to listen to. Controversy and outlandish opinions sell, it's why we had to hear about Deflategate every day of the year for three years, or why the biggest story in every Oklahoma City-Golden State game this year wasn't how the teams actually match up, but how Westbrook and Durant's breakup was doing. If you can rile people up, that'll get you more money than an intelligent analytical breakdown.

It sucks, but it's the reality of the market. The hosts and analysts who put together the really cool content are either self-published or trapped on the small fringe outlets, and if they are on a big outlet, they're only ever on for more than two minutes in the timeslots that nobody watches or listens to, because the big outlets only care about the money machine that is Sports Shouting.

...I may or may not be absurdly cynical about sports media after the horror stories the aforementioned friends have told me  

I mean, Boomer and Carton (morning guys on the same station) do a pretty good job of letting people talk and actually having a conversation  They're also generally completely different and much more interesting to listen to than Francesa, so there's that.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
I mean, Boomer and Carton (morning guys on the same station) do a pretty good job of letting people talk and actually having a conversation  They're also generally completely different and much more interesting to listen to than Francesa, so there's that.

I've never listened to Mike and the Mad Dog, so it may be unfair for me to prefer other hosts from the area because my favorites tend to do their shows as duos or in groups (Boomer and Carton, Beningo and Roberts, and the Michael Kay show). They have the advantage of having someone to talk to all the time and they feed off one another. I actually like that they goof around and take a break from sports talk whereas Francesa just drones on seriously. Not to say he doesn't have good stuff to say sometimes, but it gets pretty boring. 
Quote by TheChaz
Bumgarner just crashed on a dirt bike, sprained his shoulder and will miss 2 months. RIP this season. It was already hanging on the edge and now it's already done by April.

i know that feel, jays are already done too
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

>Manny Machado hits Dustin Pedroia sliding into second base on Friday. He didn't go out of the path of the bag, his foot went past the bag on the slide and connected with Pedroia. Replay ruled it a clean slide, and Dustin said himself that he didn't think it was a dirty play, just an unfortunate circumstance that ended about as well for him as a 6'3" man sliding into a 5'9" man usually does.

>Nothing happens in Saturday's game, everything seems like it's fine because both players involved as well as the MLB office in New York said there wasn't any ill intent and it was just part of the risk of a contact sport

>Turns everything's not fine because Matt Barnes decided to throw a pitch aimed square at Machado's face today

>To top it all off, Pedroia, the guy they're supposedly defending and sticking up for, isn't happy one bit about it

Yet another chapter in the very very very long book about why intentionally throwing at batters is a stupid idea devised by idiots

Stay classy, Red Sox. Except you Pedroia, you're cool.

Quote by necrosis1193
>Manny Machado hits Dustin Pedroia sliding into second base on Friday. He didn't go out of the path of the bag, his foot went past the bag on the slide and connected with Pedroia. Replay ruled it a clean slide, and Dustin said himself that he didn't think it was a dirty play, just an unfortunate circumstance that ended about as well for him as a 6'3" man sliding into a 5'9" man usually does.

>Nothing happens in Saturday's game, everything seems like it's fine because both players involved as well as the MLB office in New York said there wasn't any ill intent and it was just part of the risk of a contact sport

>Turns everything's not fine because Matt Barnes decided to throw a pitch aimed square at Machado's face today

>To top it all off, Pedroia, the guy they're supposedly defending and sticking up for, isn't happy one bit about it

Yet another chapter in the very very very long book about why intentionally throwing at batters is a stupid idea devised by idiots

Stay classy, Red Sox. Except you Pedroia, you're cool.

Good ol' Pedroia, classy California boy keeping those East Coast menaces civil and hella chill bro.
RT, the unwritten rules need to go.

Also, Harper's putting up another great start. He's bouta get paid. 💰💰 I see Machado signing an extension and Harper going to free agency breaking Stanton's record.
Giants just called up their top prospect, Christian Arroyo, today. He's put up a a 221 wRC+ so far in AAA this season. Got me thinking they're trying to evaluate their top prospects at the major league level, will bring up a couple more before the deadline and maybe be sellers this year.