The string rolls across something, rather than sliding across it. They are especially beneficial when used with a tremolo, but not quite as much(if at all) otherwise.
What exactly do you have in mind? Adding wood to an existing headstock might look ugly, if the woods don't match well enough.
Well that should be doable. Just sure you glue long-grain to long-grain. End-grain doesn't glue very strong.
It won't break under string tension? Also the neck I'm using is off of a peavy rock master starter guitar
Quote by DESTROYER5000
It won't break under string tension? Also the neck I'm using is off of a peavy rock master starter guitar

Long-grain glued properly is known to stronger than the actual wood. So as long as it's done right, it should be fine.
long grain means that it's cut with the grain of the wood, as opposed to across it.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Ok, that makes sense now. I'm sorry for sounding stupid but I'm new to guitar building was unsure thank you.
Don't worry about it mate, we all started somewhere.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Yeah, I am building a traditional style v that is going to be cherry plywood and the color of randy rhoads les paul custom
Quote by DESTROYER5000
Yeah, I am building a traditional style v that is going to be cherry plywood and the color of randy rhoads les paul custom

I wouldn't use plywood anywhere on the neck/headstock
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
No, I'm not using it for the neck or headstock, I'm using it for the body because I got it for free
oh I see, I too am making a guitar with a plywood body.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Yeah, got it for free and so I'm like " hey,cool"
Last edited by DESTROYER5000 at Feb 3, 2013,