apotterdd
\m/Dio\m/
218 IQ
I've been wondering this for awhile now. I can't tell otherwise if a song is standard or in Drop D or some other drop tuning?

Is there a special way to do Drop tuning on the bass? I've been playing things a fret down and haven't been able to figure out how to de-tune it. I've never really thought about it way back when but now I'm more intrested in doing that.

Thanks.

Anita
musicmanstinger
UG Senior Member
587 IQ
There is nothing special about detuning a Bass down to drop D. All you do is tune the low E string down to D making the top two strings in 5ths not 4ths. In terms of playing scales this shifts everything which would be on the E string down 2 frets.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,471 IQ
Standard tuning: EADG, drop D tuning: DADG. Tune the low E string down a whole step (2 frets).

And how do we know a song is in drop D? Well, I would listen what the lowest note played is. Though it could also be D standard. Maybe you can google the song or the artist and find out the tuning.

But usually if the guitars are tuned to drop D, they'll use the D note because otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play in drop D.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
corrda00
Unregistered User
3,069 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Standard tuning: EADG, drop D tuning: DADG. Tune the low E string down a whole step (2 frets).

And how do we know a song is in drop D? Well, I would listen what the lowest note played is. Though it could also be D standard. Maybe you can google the song or the artist and find out the tuning.

But usually if the guitars are tuned to drop D, they'll use the D note because otherwise it would be pretty pointless to play in drop D.

Some bands do it for better chord voicings. ELP's you turn me on is in drop D but they don't use the low D very often.
Usernames sucks
Tab Contributor
12,735 IQ
A method that you can use that often will work is to see a live clip of the band. If the guitarplayer does powerchords on the lowest string with one finger, then its drop d, if they do a regular shaped one, then its d standard. You could also google it, or watch covers and see what most pepole use. Im sure that its some bands with guitars in drop d and bass in d standard, since you most likely dont need the 5th relation between the two lowest string to play it on bass.
apotterdd
\m/Dio\m/
218 IQ
Thanks. I'll have to give some things a listen and see if they're actually in D tuning if not I can just play in standard tune unless the lowest note is something I can't do in standard.