lightningjoe88
140 IQ
Hey everyone,
So my most recent purchase was a vintage Marshall JCM800 1960 4x12 cabinet with Celestion 75s in it (for $300!) and it rocks with my Marshall head. Unlike other cabinets I've owned, the Marshall cab only has one input for one head to plug into. Would there be a way I can split that and plug 2 heads (If I bought another) into the cabinet and A/B the heads with a pedal, or would I just have to buy another cabinet for that and plug the other head into that? Thanks

- Joe
jetwash69
244 IQ
Or if you don't mind modding it, you can re-wire it like the modern cabs to make it stereo. Then run one head through the left speakers and the other through the right.

That'll be a lot cheaper, but wouldn't be an option if you want to keep the cab original.
ChrisBW
10 IQ
I would just rewire the cab to run stereo with an A/B switch. Since the Headbone isn't a loadbox, you can't run delay in the effects loop though. Anything that's still sending a signal in the effects loop (directly into the power amp) when you switch isn't going to be a good idea, you'll mess up the Headbone, your amp, or both. I think you could make sure everything is off before you switch? The manual says don't use anything in the FX loop though. I'm not sure all the details but when I was looking into one I just screw it and saved myself the money.

That said, if you don't use anything in your FX loop, go for it. I just think that thing is way expensive when you could simply rewire your speakers.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Reincaster
Call me Rein.
20 IQ
Quote by ChrisBW
I would just rewire the cab to run stereo with an A/B switch. Since the Headbone isn't a loadbox, you can't run delay in the effects loop though. Anything that's still sending a signal in the effects loop (directly into the power amp) when you switch isn't going to be a good idea, you'll mess up the Headbone, your amp, or both. I think you could make sure everything is off before you switch? The manual says don't use anything in the FX loop though. I'm not sure all the details but when I was looking into one I just screw it and saved myself the money.

That said, if you don't use anything in your FX loop, go for it. I just think that thing is way expensive when you could simply rewire your speakers.

The headbone is a loadbox.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
gumbilicious
beginner
250 IQ
Quote by Reincaster
The headbone is a loadbox.

+1

Quote by LinkAbove
Hit the footswitch and the Headbone toggles the guitar signal from one amp to the other, disconnects the speaker and diverts the signal to a load resister, reconnects the speaker to the second head and turns on the guitar, all in quick succession. The Headbone features SafeMode™ whereby even when power is disconnected; the Headbone will automatically default to 'head-1 to cabinet' status, ensuring a constant load on the amplifier.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae