ZanEeTee
My mind is an enigma
10 IQ
Hi all,
I was hoping for a bit of help choosing a guitar. I've learnt for 5 years on my dads 58' RI Les Paul, and was looking to buy my own instrument more suited to my styles. My main issue with the Les Paul is the ridonculous neck size which is comfortable but certainly not suited to faster playing.

I would say my main influences would be Guthrie Govan, David Gilmour, Hendix, Frusciante, Satriani, Jeff Beck, Tosin Abasi etc... Basically cleans are very important to me, but it needs to be quite a versatile geetar.

My price budget would be around 1.3k US. Also i'm not too fond of super metal looking guitars lol so be gentle
Minecraft is for fatties

-
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
What a great guitar to learn on, Do you really need anything else? Show us some pictures in the Les Paul thread

Anyway. If you don't want a metal looking guitar but want versatility maybe a 72 thinline Telecaster?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-72-telecaster-thinline-3-colour-sunburst/20563
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Used PRS Custom 22/24
Fender Deluxe American HSS Strat
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Playing with speed is a function of your comfort with the guitar, your practice regimen, and your natural talent. If, as you say, the LP is comfy, it isn't likely that changing guitars will increase your speed.

After all, Buckethead- not a slow player- uses LPs. And V's.

And Tosin Abasi's guitars are 8-strings, with necks probably larger than your LP.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 4, 2013,
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
514 IQ
Suhr or Godin.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Quote by StewieSwan
my eyes are rolling harder than fred durst

JKHC
90 IQ
Godin SA series?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
<3beat
10 IQ
+1 for Godin. Used Velocity (HSS) might just do the trick, too. Mine has a thinner neck than the Progressions.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
The Godin Velocity is a killer HSS, and pristine used ones go for just under $500...

Also, if you like the Freeway SA, but would prefer a LP type body- still with 25.5" scale- Godin has you covered with the xtSA.

http://godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 4, 2013,
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Playing with speed is a function of your comfort with the guitar, your practice regimen, and your natural talent. If, as you say, the LP is comfy, it isn't likely that changing guitars will increase your speed.

+infinity. There is no such thing as a fast or slow neck. Only a neck most comfortable in your hands. Important distinction.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ZanEeTee
My mind is an enigma
10 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz

After all, Buckethead- not a slow player- uses LPs. And V's.

And Tosin Abasi's guitars are 8-strings, with necks probably larger than your LP.

I happen to agree 100% with what you have said. I however have small hands so the thick neck on the 58' LP not really limits my speed, more just provides occasional obstacles that creep up in faster material. I'm not saying a guitar with a thinner neck will immediately improve my playing

Thank you everyone for the responses, I've always found suhr's and godin's are rather sexy in tone and aesthetics so I'm leaning towards that direction.
Minecraft is for fatties

-
progdude93
Banned
20 IQ
I happen to love Godins, but IMO, Suhr is on a completely different level. And if you find the right used Suhr, you'll get a guitar that'll last you until you bite the bullet and go full custom or build one yourself.