dazzzer30
1,591 IQ
I am look to get a tube amp for my home in a small room and wondering IF i should get 1 watt or 5 ? I dont know but one watt sounds low just by the number but i have never heard how loud they go.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Wrong forum this needs to be in GG&A to get more responces.

But to answer in a bedroom 1 watt will be more than enough, and I bet you still will never crank it to 11 (1 watt tube is still pretty loud) But with 5 watts the signal will stay clean louder, with out getting power tube distortin in your sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
I have the Vox AC4 (head & cab version), I usually play it set to either 1/4 or 1 watt depending on time of day. I only ever use the 4 watt setting if I want to get a recording of it's clean sound, other than that the 1 watt setting is plenty.

Remember though, even larger tube amps have volume knobs
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ yeah. even 1 watt is loud enough (too loud, actually) if you want to crank it... but that's not saying you necessarily do, and if you don't crank the thing often bigger amps can sound better at lower volumes. it's just a matter of really trying a bunch of amps of various wattages and of various designs and seeing which sounds best at the volumes you're normally playing at at home. i realise that's no help, but that's the way it is, unfortunately.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Silver Hilton
Old enough
812 IQ
Can one even find a 1 watt amp? Plenty of choices with variable power ( I have 3), but I don't know if there are many 1 watt choices.

I use my Mesa on the five watt setting, and the Egnator and the Tubemeister on low power settings, and like the experience, so I encourage you to continue on this path. The TubeMeister has a 1 watt setting, as well as a 5 and 18 watt. It's a great little amp - I encourage you to look at one.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
VegasBlues
245 IQ
Quote by Silver Hilton
Can one even find a 1 watt amp? Plenty of choices with variable power ( I have 3), but I don't know if there are many 1 watt choices.

I use my Mesa on the five watt setting, and the Egnator and the Tubemeister on low power settings, and like the experience, so I encourage you to continue on this path. The TubeMeister has a 1 watt setting, as well as a 5 and 18 watt. It's a great little amp - I encourage you to look at one.

Blackstar makes a 1 watt, all the new Marshall mini-heads (JMP1, DSL1, etc.), Vox makes a 1 watter. They are out there, but not a lot of them. It's really kind of a niche market.
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
^yeah, blackheart and zvex also make ~1 watt amps too.

a one watt amp can get as loud as a jack hammer
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae