Fumble fingers
490 IQ
I need help picking out some new pups for my early 70's Epiphone "strat looking" 2 single coils pick-up giutar ..... its overwelming looking at all the different pick ups

I read FAQ's thing on pick-ups and was thinking something like a Alnico V for the neck and a single humbucker for the bridge ....does this sound about right for giving me a variety of sound choices ?? .............

what brand and model pickup do you suggest ?? .... open to idea's , play rock , blues and country western mainly , my amps are a 15W Line 6 practice amp and a big 1960's Kustom amp (not sure what model the Kustom is buts heavy SOB)

basically wanting to upgrade the stock pups to something better , don't mind spending some money but don't want to break the bank on this guitar , it is in perfect condition , I like the feel of the neck and action , just wanting to upgrade this ole axe thats been with me 30 years (lots of sentimental value here , I have nicer guitars but will never get rid of this one)......

you guy's are the best !! Thanks in advance , Eric
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Feb 5, 2013,
SSaxdude
226 IQ
Personally I'm biased towards Seymour Duncan's pickups cause well...they sound great to me. I'm guessing you don't want to rout anything for this guitar (ie. cut the body/pickguard). So for the bridge I'd go with a SD Rails pickup. I have the Hot Rails in my Strat and I love it. Then for the neck pickup go for a single coil pickup that's a lower output, more vintage-y sounding. That way you can get some pretty diverse tones with those two pickups. Hope this helps!
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
What kind of tones are you looking for?

With what you've said, I'd probably get some Lace Alumitones. The "singlecoils" and "humbuckers" vary only in shape. They sound roughly the same- very clean, and NO hum. From that basis, you shape your tone with your pedals & amp.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 6, 2013,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Lace are my new favourite pickups. Get some Lace, they are amazing.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

NHECOS
UnBanned
1,063 IQ
Go for Seymour Duncan.
Gear:
DIGITECH Grunge -->
IBANEZ Silver Cadet -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
BOSS ME-70 -->
LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
YAMAHA THR 10 -->
MILF Tease
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
You might also want to check out Railhammer (esp. the HyperVintage) and Tesla (exp. the OPUS) pickups, as well as a brand called Vintage Vibe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
thanks for all the suggestions , maybe I'll use this guitar as a test bed , I order a SD little 59er and a SD Duckbucker .... hopefully it will sound better than whats in it ,if I don't like them I'll change them out
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
The SD '59 is one of my favorites from that company.

alhaq369
Fumble fingers
490 IQ
on GC they recomend two duckbuckers with the 59 , I only have one duckbucker with the 59 , that should work shouldn't it ??

thanks , Eric
lunaticfringe93
336 IQ
Just make sure you get one intended for the neck pickup and one intended for the bridge (I assume the 59 is the bridge) and you should be good to go.
UG's Prodigal Son