Illustration
Iconoclast
155 IQ
My opinions completely bias because I really don't like this kind of music.
But I found it extremely boring.
);
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by Illustration
);

I could say the same about whatever you're listening to.

Sorry man, no hard feelings. Each to his own as they say
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Feb 8, 2013,
davyyy
87 IQ
I found this to be quite good actually. It has a funk rock sound, very nice and refreshing compared to all the genericprogcore that you usually see here haha. But its pretty good, Id say the second verse is a little too long, but other than that its a great groove.
Drapte
1,474 IQ
That was ****ing terrible give up
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by davyyy
I found this to be quite good actually. It has a funk rock sound, very nice and refreshing compared to all the genericprogcore that you usually see here haha. But its pretty good, Id say the second verse is a little too long, but other than that its a great groove.

Yeah, I've noticed this placed is overflown by that lately....

Thanks dude! About the second verse, are you talking about the clean part with the piano or....?

Quote by Drapte
That was ****ing terrible give up

Your face is terrible.
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Simple and great.

Basically what davyyy said.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by adamgur96
Simple and great.

Basically what davyyy said.

Any constructive criticism?

Of course I thank you kindly for your words, it means a lot to me.

What, no fans of Skyrim here? I thought someone would point out the name reference already....
adamgur96
Not caring no more
865 IQ
Quote by Guitar0player
Any constructive criticism?

It has the good old Israeli rock vibe to it, so i'll be happy to.

I'm gonna write you a more detailed crit, but not now, today i have a concert to go to and need to get ready.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Last edited by adamgur96 at Feb 8, 2013,
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by adamgur96
It has the good old Israeli rock vibe to it, so i'll be happy to.

I'm gonna write you a more detailed crit, but not now, today i have a concert to go to and need to get ready.

OK, believe it or not I do not listen to Israeli rock(well, maybe a couple of songs by Dr. Kasper), so I have no idea whatchu on about....Mercedes Band? Asaf Avidan?
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by Illustration
);

Not really a good excuse tbh. I review metalcore and deathcore pieces all the time and I try to be as objective as possible. Hell I even reviewed a reagge piece once, methinks. I'm not gonna crit atm but I listened to it yesterday and I found it very groovy, despite being very simple. Could do with a bit more soloing and more variation since yeah, it's quite repetitive. Not enough to make it completely terrible, but yeah.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by Ometh
Not really a good excuse tbh. I review metalcore and deathcore pieces all the time and I try to be as objective as possible. Hell I even reviewed a reagge piece once, methinks. I'm not gonna crit atm but I listened to it yesterday and I found it very groovy, despite being very simple. Could do with a bit more soloing and more variation since yeah, it's quite repetitive. Not enough to make it completely terrible, but yeah.

Groovy and simple are two words are like a lot and I wish they could describe every song I write.

About the repetitiveness, The only excuse I have for this is that the song is still in its skeletal stage. Its not recorded and misses all of the little details and of course the singing. If you take Song 2 and remove the singing and make a guitar pro file out of it, it will sound repetitive too.

I aint trying to hide here but these are just my 2 cents.
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?
2,486 IQ
Quote by Guitar0player
What, no fans of Skyrim here? I thought someone would point out the name reference already....
Not a Skyrim fan, but I will say that this sounds a little Riverside-ish... More specifically, the 3:00 mark of Riverside's Egoist Hedonist.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by Emperor's Child
Not a Skyrim fan, but I will say that this sounds a little Riverside-ish... More specifically, the 3:00 mark of Riverside's Egoist Hedonist.

Well...Moonsugar is a material in Skyrim that is used to create Skooma, a drug. The lyrics revolve around a character tripping his balls off...sorta.

And I can see what you mean but the song is based on something else sound and structure wise.
QuantumInfinity
Yeay!
278 IQ
The horn section sounds totally bad-ass, the bass is groovy as **** and the guitar is sufficient. That is one cool song, good sir... One cool song indeed.

The piano was kinda random, though, don't know why that's in there, maybe you just like the sound of it? :p
When you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you…
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by QuantumInfinity
The horn section sounds totally bad-ass, the bass is groovy as **** and the guitar is sufficient. That is one cool song, good sir... One cool song indeed.

The piano was kinda random, though, don't know why that's in there, maybe you just like the sound of it? :p

If I record the song I'll probably evolve the guitar part a bit more, Thank you for the kind words my good friend.

The piano part is sort of a Queens of the Stone Age thing, songs like In My Head have a piano play the same note at the same intervals through out the whole song. Sounds fantastic.
NegiTom
Banned
480 IQ
This reminds me of Driver on PS1. That's more than enough for me to like it. Simple and catchy, nice job.
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by NegiTom
This reminds me of Driver on PS1. That's more than enough for me to like it. Simple and catchy, nice job.

Why thank you! All Driver games had fantastic soundtracks, especially San Francisco which I highly recommend.
Dregen
-
2,365 IQ
i liked this, and i think you have some good ideas and progressions here, but i think it needs something a little... more. not really in terms of extra instrumentation or anything, but like flair-wise. i think some faster sixteenth muted notes or some faster fills would complement this well, just to break out the midtempo a bit and give some oomph. i also think some of your riffs could do with some very minor variations, but that's kind of a personal thing because i don't really like strict repetition.
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by Dregen
i liked this, and i think you have some good ideas and progressions here, but i think it needs something a little... more. not really in terms of extra instrumentation or anything, but like flair-wise. i think some faster sixteenth muted notes or some faster fills would complement this well, just to break out the midtempo a bit and give some oomph. i also think some of your riffs could do with some very minor variations, but that's kind of a personal thing because i don't really like strict repetition.

Thanks!

I understand what you mean, but then again this is a very raw version. It's sorta like the meat and potatoes version of the song, after all this is still in guitar pro.

It is most likely that no matter how many fills I write into the song wont help in giving the song more oomph, what will most likely help is actually recording the damn thing!
Last edited by Guitar0player at Feb 14, 2013,
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
I actually like the way it's all built around that little bass loop, just with variations, instead of constantly changing to a new riff. A lot of the time, it's all binary; either it's one riff or a completely different one, and I'm a sucker for playing with variations. One minor complaint is how the drums don't match up with the rhythm of the main riff.
And I actually clicked because of the title. I have an old piece somewhere with the working title "May Your Road Lead You to Warm Sands".
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Thanks! How exactly arent the drums matching up?

And I'd love to hear that piece.
Td_Nights
UG Fanatic
608 IQ
^ every 4th bar of the verse has the drums with a 32nd note rest on the fourth count, which ever so slightly throws the beat off and makes it shaky. At first I thought I had weird lag until it repeated and I looked at the drums properly, glad it wasn't me imagining things :P

Could very well have been intentional, but given the structure/nature of the rest of the song (what with being central to the bass groove and rhythm) it seems like it could've been an honest mistake, haha

Anyway, I'm not in a very good critting mood, but I do generally like this 'style' of music. In terms of the main riff especially, and how it's 'centered' around the bass with the guitar doubling it then stemming off and back and etc, it's reminiscent of some early early RHCP material, like Mother's Milk, or something. Love it. Horn section was nice too, probably adds to my rhcp comparison. That drum typo though, if it is one, killed the entire vibe for me though.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Td_Nights
UG Fanatic
608 IQ
Correction, I'm exhausted, it's not every 4th measure, it's every measure
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
The Baconator
245 IQ
I think this is one of the best ones I've heard on here in a long while, it's great! I loved the horns, they really made the song. The clean guitar part at measure 54 and again in the bridge is bothering me, it sounds soooo familiar, I know I've heard that melody elsewhere. My only suggestion would be to change up the transition right after the solo, it seemed rather abrupt to me.

Also, if you could critique my shitty little WIp, it'd be much appreciated:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588770
Last edited by The Baconator at Feb 18, 2013,
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by Td_Nights
Correction, I'm exhausted, it's not every 4th measure, it's every measure

I am quite musically illiterate, I kinda dont get it.
Td_Nights
UG Fanatic
608 IQ
Quote by Guitar0player

The verse is set to a steady rhythm in a 4/4 time signature.

putting it as simply as i can at the moment: it feels 'off' for me and the other dude because the last snare hit for each bar of the verse has a 32nd note rest before it, removing that removes the ever so slightly 'pause' before it, which is what's 'throwing' the beat off. You have a fairly steady beat and rhythm going, and these small rests are big enough to distract from the rest of it.

If you look at the drum track in the verses, you have all the hits and rests as 16th notes, except that one.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by Guitar0player

It might be me being dumb, but I don't quite get it either lol.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,154 IQ
Quote by Td_Nights
The verse is set to a steady rhythm in a 4/4 time signature.

putting it as simply as i can at the moment: it feels 'off' for me and the other dude because the last snare hit for each bar of the verse has a 32nd note rest before it, removing that removes the ever so slightly 'pause' before it, which is what's 'throwing' the beat off. You have a fairly steady beat and rhythm going, and these small rests are big enough to distract from the rest of it.

If you look at the drum track in the verses, you have all the hits and rests as 16th notes, except that one.

I didnt see anything out of the ordinary....you mean the snares that go two 32th and then back 16th?