I am looking for a gift for my bass player, and I know that he like his Tbird's form and neck but isn't crazy about the tone, so I was thinking new pickups might be in order. Anybody have any suggestions for replacements pups to drop in there?
Thunderbucker 63 or 66. Fantastic drop-in replacements that are wound after the 60's thunderbirds humbuckers.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by Fishybones
Thunderbucker 63 or 66. Fantastic drop-in replacements that are wound after the 60's thunderbirds humbuckers.

This would be a good idea. I don't know if Mike Lull sells his pickups separately, but you could call the shop and ask about T Bass pickups which are reverse engineered from an original set from a 1964 Thunderbird.

The EMG pickups are active, and are just versions of their active P, J, DC, and CS series pickups in a drop-in Thunderbird shell for easy installation. They won't do that classic Thunderbird sound if that's what your bass player is going for, they'll sound like EMG P's, J's, DC's, or CS's (depending on which ones you get).

Bartolini also makes a humbucker in a Thunderbird pickup shell, but I have no experience with that so I couldn't give you an adequate description.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Lollar Thunderbird pickups are first rate, but a set of them might be worth the price of the bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'd be paying twice as much for the Lollars as he paid for the bass. I like the guy, but not THAT much. :lol: I'll look into the Bartolini's, thanks for the advice guys. He likes the growly tone of the Tbird but he's complained about the muddiness before, so I think something like them rather than actives would be better.