Hello friends! I want to know the scales used on the solos of "the thing that should not be" and "the call of ktulu" from metallica. Seems to me like a D phrygian dominant mix with double harmonic major on TTTSNB...and a mix of A and D scales on the call of ktulu..what do you think?
What keys are those songs in?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by ronaldoortiz195
TTTSNB i think is on D ... TCOK i think is a mix of A and D..two keys

Are those major keys? Because if you don't indicate that they are minor you're are saying they are major by default.

But, since it's Metallica, I'm going to be they're in minor keys. So it's the minor scale of whatever key they are in. It's that simple.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
The solo of "The Thing That Should Not Be" is pretty random and there are those harmonized parts. I wouldn't even think it in scales.

"Call of Ktulu" is pretty much minor. Kirk sometimes emphasizes the notes in B minor pentatonic scale if the song is in E minor. He does that in many solos.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The songs are in minor key....in TTTSNB i think is a scale like phrygian dominant...in the call of ktulu, this song is in Aminor and Dminor...but the solo has a passage that did not match these two keys....
Quote by ronaldoortiz195
The songs are in minor key....in TTTSNB i think is a scale like phrygian dominant...in the call of ktulu, this song is in Aminor and Dminor...but the solo has a passage that did not match these two keys....

Notes outside the scale are not outside the key. You can place the notes used under a name for mental convenience, but at the end of the day, it's just the major or minor scale with accidentals. This thinking prevents the awkwardness of "mixing" scales, as TS described.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by ronaldoortiz195
...and a mix of A and D scales on the call of ktulu..what do you think?

The entire song is in D minor with a main chord progression of Dm and A5. It's not the scales of A and D. It's the chords.
We're all alright!