Mind_Reader7
Tab Contributor
1,559 IQ
I've had a no name Chinese guitar from about 6 months now. It's a white Explorer knock off. The electrics sound terrible, the pick guard is cut badly, the paint job is solid/looks great, but it wasn't painted very well in some areas.

The thing is...It feels so comfy to play. The neck just feels so good. Normally I play most guitar sitting in the classical position, but with the Explorer, playing whilst standing is a lot easier.

What is it that makes this guitar so much nicer/faster to play than most other 6 strings I've played?

Edit:
I would go out and just buy an Explorer, but the shape reminds of the BC Rich Warlock, and it just shouts "2edgy4me".
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Last edited by Mind_Reader7 at Feb 15, 2013,
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
so you are playing a fake explorer that you bought and own...but wont buy a real explorer because it makes you think of a bc rich......

wut?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
Mind_Reader7
Tab Contributor
1,559 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
so you are playing a fake explorer that you bought and own...but wont buy a real explorer because it makes you think of a bc rich......

wut?
It was super cheap, and because it's white, I'm going to draw all over it. My main concern being, a real Explorer actually cost 10x what I paid for this one, and I don't want to get one, only to find it plays no where near as nice as this POS I got.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
^this.

If you find the shape too extreme try some other Gibsons, like the SG, they have a very similar neck profile to the Explorer, especially those with a 60s neck.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
Mind_Reader7
Tab Contributor
1,559 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
try some other Gibsons, like the SG, they have a very similar neck profile to the Explorer, especially those with a 60s neck.
This is a great piece of information, thank you
- Devin Townsend
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
No worries, I have an old Epiphone Explorer and its still one of the best necks on any guitar I have ever experienced.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
dnamra13
metal fanatic from hell
129 IQ
The neck profile on the Gibson Explorer / Flying V is a mix of the 50's rounded and 60's slimtaper profile. Most of the other Gibson"s are either a 50"s or a 60"s profile. If you like the feel get a V or Explorer.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
fburns
Needs a job!
34 IQ
Or if you like the one you got, swap out the electronics and make it sound great!

Then you've got a guitar that plays how you want and sounds awesome. AND it'll be a lot cheaper than a Gibson or probably even an Epi.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
DigiTech XDD DigiDelay
Cort Z22 Zenox with IronGear Alchemist 90 pickups
Ibanez Talman TCY50
Stagg BC300 Bass

I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay.
ffaf12
290 IQ
gotta admit i dont really like epi's purely for the neck profile for me i just dont find them comfortable particulary the lp but all in account id say the explorer has the best.
“Creativity is intelligence having fun.”
― Albert Einstein
MaaZeus
431 IQ
Quote by Mind_Reader7

Edit:
I would go out and just buy an Explorer, but the shape reminds of the BC Rich Warlock, and it just shouts "2edgy4me".

What makes you think that? Yourself or what you think what other think? If its you, isnt function over form more important? If its others, nobody should tell you what shape guitar you play be it King V or Stealth in a Church or a Telecaster on a Death Metal concert. Only thing that matters is that the guitar feels like an extension of your hands, other peoples opinions be damned.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Mind_Reader7
Tab Contributor
1,559 IQ
Quote by MaaZeus
What makes you think that? Yourself or what you think what other think? If its you, isnt function over form more important? If its others, nobody should tell you what shape guitar you play be it King V or Stealth in a Church or a Telecaster on a Death Metal concert. Only thing that matters is that the guitar feels like an extension of your hands, other peoples opinions be damned.
When your genre includes a lot of bluesgrass/jazz, having an explorer is not sexy.
- Devin Townsend
MaaZeus
431 IQ
Quote by Mind_Reader7
When your genre includes a lot of bluesgrass/jazz, having an explorer is not sexy.

Why not? Hell, Flying V was originally used by Blues and Jazz people before rock and metal crowd adapted it. *edit* Forgot to say that same thing with Explorer. Both appeared in the late '50s.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 16, 2013,
mardigian
Livin' the Dream
189 IQ
James Hetfield's classic explorer was a chinese knock-off. He just threw EMG's in there and likely gave it a proper set-up.

You don't necessarily have to have a $1000+ guitar to have a great instrument.

If you like it, enjoy it! Replace the parts you don't like. Finding a guitar that feels great to play is the most difficult thing to replace. Pickups and body styles are not.
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer
61 IQ
Quote by mardigian
James Hetfield's classic explorer was a chinese knock-off. He just threw EMG's in there and likely gave it a proper set-up.

If you like it, enjoy it! Replace the parts you don't like. Finding a guitar that feels great to play is the most difficult thing to replace. Pickups and body styles are not.

I highly doubt that, do you have any sources that back up that claim?

As for the rest of the post, I agree with you. We sometimes forget that more expensive/newer doesn't necessarily means that it is better.
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
James had a tons of Explorers over the years. Since he owns likely hundreds of guitars the chance of having a cheap knock-off is there but I don't believe he has ever used one on stage. He has asked famous luthiers to replicate some of his favorite guitars, though. Maybe you mean these?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

deepfat
2,368 IQ
Reading these forums as long as I have I always thought it was kind of weird that a lot of people but so much stock on what name is on the headstock. It's much more fulfilling for me to find that diamond-in-the-rough chinese instrument that plays like a dream.

From a manufacturing and business standpoint, the Chinese are building better and better guitars by the year as they are getting better at all other facets of manufacturing in terms of QC. Indonesian guitars, on the other hand, are another story.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Quote by mardigian
James Hetfield's classic Flying V was a chinese knock-off. He just threw EMG's in there and likely gave it a proper set-up.

Fixed.

EDIT: Source: http://www.montyjay.com/jhgkill.html
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 16, 2013,
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
And why do you think it is so much fulfilling when you found one such guitar? :p Because most no-brand guitars are just no good, thats why.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

deepfat
2,368 IQ
Quote by hminh87
And why do you think it is so much fulfilling when you found one such guitar? :p Because most no-brand guitars are just no good, thats why.

Probably true. It's just that I think it's cool when no-name guitars sound and play awesome and blow the lid on the whole "it's gotta be Gibson/Fender/PRS to be good" nonsense.
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
Good and bad guitars can come from anywhere. Brand or no brand. The good thing with established brands is that they hold good consistency over the quality per price.

I have unfortunate never found any of those "diamond in the rough". Maybe one day I will.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Feb 16, 2013,
mardigian
Livin' the Dream
189 IQ
Quote by MG_Sora

As for the rest of the post, I agree with you. We sometimes forget that more expensive/newer doesn't necessarily means that it is better.

I read it in an interview with him. Sorry, no source. Don't care much if you believe me or not either.
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
514 IQ
Quote by MG_Sora
Quote by mardigian

I'm sure James Hetfield owns dozens of white Explorers but I do remember reading an interview in Guitar World where Hetfield said his original white Explorer was a copy and he didn't know enough about guitars when he bought it to know the difference. I'll see if I can find the interview..
azrael4h
219 IQ
Quote by BobDetroit
I'm sure James Hetfield owns dozens of white Explorers but I do remember reading an interview in Guitar World where Hetfield said his original white Explorer was a copy and he didn't know enough about guitars when he bought it to know the difference. I'll see if I can find the interview..

I seem to recall that as well, from back when I listened to Metallica. I kinda dropped out of guitar playing for a long while though, and sent those magazines to the local hospitals so I can't dig and check myself.

However, Wiki does state he used a Japanese-made Electra Flying V copy. I wouldn't take it as gospel though, it was the first thing on a quick and dirty google search.
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,300 IQ
Quote by MG_Sora

It wasn't his explorer, those were all ESPs.

He means his V, an Eleca knockoff I think.

Quote by deepfat
Reading these forums as long as I have I always thought it was kind of weird that a lot of people but so much stock on what name is on the headstock. It's much more fulfilling for me to find that diamond-in-the-rough chinese instrument that plays like a dream.

From a manufacturing and business standpoint, the Chinese are building better and better guitars by the year as they are getting better at all other facets of manufacturing in terms of QC. Indonesian guitars, on the other hand, are another story.

Ever play an Ibanez Premium? Or one of the new Jackson Pro Series?
Indonesian, and hella good guitars.
EDIT: Oh god I just used "hella".
The **** is wrong with me!?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 16, 2013,
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,513 IQ
A decent guitar with a great setup usually plays and sounds better than an amazing guitar with a meh setup. Most guitars I play from the factory have a worse than meh setup.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
James's first Explorer was Gibson, later he used ESPs (And Justice For All ->. His first Flying V was a Japanese copy, even though it had a Gibson truss rod cover. Just BTW.

Here is info about James's guitars: http://www.montyjay.com/jamesguitars.html
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c