cakeamuffin
43 IQ
This might seem like a dumb question, but I just had to ask:

A while ago I decided to pick up my dad's old 4-string bass. It looks like the picture below, same strings and everything, but it just refuses to tune to drop C (It can just barely handle drop D).
So my question is, will it be able to tune to drop C if I get heavier strings, or am I better off just finding another bass?

Picture:
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year
405 IQ
If the problem you're having is the problem I'm thinking of, you'll have to get it re-setup to be able to handle Drop C tuning. Thicker string gauges would probably help too.
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by corrda00
Try raising the action, thicker strings, and you should be good to go.

Raising the action will sharpen the intonation at 12th fret.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
RaginGus
10 IQ
Quote by John Swift
Raising the action will sharpen the intonation at 12th fret.

True, but not something to worry about. Raise the action, get heavier gauge strings and after you tune it to the preferred tuning adjust the intonation from the bridge. I use 60-120 strings on my 4-string and my tunings are D regular, drop C, drop B, and drop A. My only problem is that it can't handle regular E tuning well cos the strings are too tense.
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by RaginGus
True, but not something to worry about. Raise the action, get heavier gauge strings and after you tune it to the preferred tuning adjust the intonation from the bridge. I use 60-120 strings on my 4-string and my tunings are D regular, drop C, drop B, and drop A. My only problem is that it can't handle regular E tuning well cos the strings are too tense.

Of course its something to worry about, how many Bassists are aware of the issue, a high percentage don't even know how to set up an instrument which usually comes with time.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
deeptubes
Crappily Amazing!
180 IQ
Restring it, tune it, and do a setup. I use a .120 for my drop D. It has the exact same tension as the .105 I use for E.
'79 Peavey T-40
'84 Fender Precision Elite II
'87 Peavey Dyna-Bass
'90 Fender HM
'01 Fender Precision Special Deluxe
'04 Fender Dimension

GK 1001RB-II
Traynor YBA 200-2
Peavey 400B
Fender Bassman 400
SWR Workingman's Tower 810
Peavey 215