What are the pedals that would be essential for playing post-rock/Shoegaze. Ranging from trippy to explosive, think: Alien mothership elevator music and Skyscrapers being brought down by a tsunami. Yes, I visualise heavily when it comes to sounds :P

Any help is appreciated!
Probably some pretty extreme phasers and flangers would come in handy...maybe a good modern tremolo pedal...
If you would be so inclined their is actually a gear for post-rock thread on here, I don't frequent it but I imagine it would be helpful
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I frequent it.

You'll want a good delay to start with. Then a reverb. For dirt, you can go really in any direction. I use a combination of amp dirt, fuzz, OD, an Ibanez LF7 and a Rat. Sounds like you'll want a fuzz though. Can't go wrong with a BMP or Fuzz Face variant.

What's your current amp?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
can anybody post the link to the essential gear thread?

i can't seem to find it and i've been searching for a minute now.

thanks in advanced!
a good delay. perhaps 2 delays on your board at once, like a feature packed digital and an ambient sounding analog.

or, if you really want to go all out, a modeling delay like the flashback 4x. modualtors, pitch shifters, tremolo is great, every guitarist needs a wah (every. guitarist.)
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)