MaddMann274
Ridding sanity
825 IQ
I really want to learn how to sing, I am not naturally a good singer but I want to be able to at least provide backing (clean) vocals for a band. My inspiration is Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.
I have trouble with getting my pitch right sometimes along with some other problems.
Any advice for me? Any videos on youtube that would help me?

and can ANYONE learn to sing?

Thanks,
ScytheZone
10 IQ
Quote by MaddMann274

I have trouble with getting my pitch right sometimes along with some other problems.

practice with ur fav songs

Check out "Zen of Screaming" by melissa cross i think it was
its a screaming instruction thing, but it actually helped me with cleans more than screams
Last edited by ScytheZone at Feb 24, 2013,
Powersurge213
60 IQ
Sing along as much as possible. Just keep trying

I found that practise really helps and now I actually get told I have a pretty decent voice :S A couple of years ago I could barely sing, but because singing comes from muscles essentially, you can train them like any other muscle.

Make sense?
Bair
UG Fanatic
2,206 IQ
I've always wondered this too. Anyone can learn the guitar in multiple different ways but if your vocal chords are shit and you're tone deaf...then are you outta luck?
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
food1010
Bassist
285 IQ
Quote by Bair
if your vocal chords are shit and you're tone deaf...then are you outta luck?
There's no such thing. "Shit vocal chords" is just a lack of technique. "Tone deafness" is just a lack of aural training. All of this can be learned.

TS, try to get lessons. There are ways to learn without a vocal instructor, but it makes it a lot easier.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
kindadumb
140 IQ
I've been through several different instructors over the past 16 years, have been praised for "going above and beyond in your efforts"...and have made absolutely no progress. I mean, yeah, I've gotten better at hitting notes, but my voice doesn't sound any better.

The way I see it, about 5-10% of us are going to be good no matter what, 5-10% of us (e.g. me) are going to suck no matter what, but you're probably in that 80-90% in the middle where the sound coming out of you depends on what you invest in yourself.
jmako
61 IQ
Personally, I do think anyone can sing. Of course, there are still going to be varying degrees of proficiency. Being a 21st century american, there arent many places left that call for the masses to burst into song, but I think if you look at other cultures, past and present, you'll see places where singing (and even dancing too, for the people that think they cant dance) becomes almost ritualistic in practice during which everyone joins in. They all join in because they can all sing and they can all sing because they all have probably been doing it since they were kids. I might be walking a fine line here being an ignorant american; I'm not a cultural expert, it just seems to be the case in my experience that people in my culture "can't" do anything that doesnt come to them immediately because no one wants to spend the time working at things anymore. We've been afforded so many conveniences that when something doesnt come as naturally as rain we jump to the conclusion that it's not for us and find something that is. Now I'm rambling and idk if any of this will be helpful, but I think if you really want to sing you'll sing, and even if you're not the best, you'll find your niche through practice and be able to play to your strengths from there.
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.
90 IQ
Vocals can be taught similarly to any other instrument. Some people are just naturally good at singing though, and they're the ones you tend to see most often, because people who believe they can't, don't try.

Anyway, in my experience sing as much as you can. I sing in a band and 3 months into it I started to get some vocal lessons, they help teach you about the importance of posture, resonance, etc. I auditioned for a musical (Quadrophenia - The World Premiere if anyone's in the North West UK it's definitely worth checking out ) got a main part. The practice has been incredibly intense for it, but the difference I can hear in my voice is incredible.
I listen back to live videos from the start of my band's career and cringe my face off. Now I listen to some of the more recent things I've done and I can actually bear it!

Just keep trying man, I'd say its definitely worth looking at a vocal teacher, if anything for 3-4 lessons to teach you the basics. Remember if you don't try, you can't succeed, and I'm a strong believe that singing can be taught and learnt.
Silverburst
Andalus
Bànned
144 IQ
Quote by Insanity ninja
Vocals can be taught similarly to any other instrument. Some people are just naturally good at singing though, and they're the ones you tend to see most often, because people who believe they can't, don't try.

Anyway, in my experience sing as much as you can. I sing in a band and 3 months into it I started to get some vocal lessons, they help teach you about the importance of posture, resonance, etc. I auditioned for a musical (Quadrophenia - The World Premiere if anyone's in the North West UK it's definitely worth checking out ) got a main part. The practice has been incredibly intense for it, but the difference I can hear in my voice is incredible.
I listen back to live videos from the start of my band's career and cringe my face off. Now I listen to some of the more recent things I've done and I can actually bear it!

Just keep trying man, I'd say its definitely worth looking at a vocal teacher, if anything for 3-4 lessons to teach you the basics. Remember if you don't try, you can't succeed, and I'm a strong believe that singing can be taught and learnt.

Who do you play? Jimmy?
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.
90 IQ
Jimmy's part is split into 4, himself, his tough persona, lunatic persona and romantic persona. I play the romantic one. Despite being hopeless with women irl.
Silverburst
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.
90 IQ
To get to grips with some nasal resonance, open your mouth so it's quite relaxed. Sing a note, but instead of pushing it out through your mouth, push your tongue back a bit and imagine the sound going into your head. It should have a kind of NNNNN quality to it, not sure how else to describe it. Almost bee-like.
Silverburst
food1010
Bassist
285 IQ
Quote by Doveri
Breathing: always breath from the upper abdominals and never anywhere else.
You may have the right meaning when you say this, but the way you worded it is confusing. Sure your diaphragm is in the upper abdomen, just below the lungs, but the important thing to know is that the ribs and shoulders should not expand outward. The diaphragm works vertically, so to utilize its full strength, you need to expand your lungs downward. This causes the abdomen to expand outward to make room for the diaphragm pulling downward. The full expanse of the abdomen should expand outward, not just the upper part.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
20Tigers
50 IQ
Quote by Bair
I've always wondered this too. Anyone can learn the guitar in multiple different ways but if your vocal chords are shit and you're tone deaf...then are you outta luck?

If you're really tone deaf you're shit out of luck with any instrument.

Your vocal chords make pitches. You control them. Learning to control them with percision takes practice but barring some physical disability that prevents it yes anyone can learn to sing.
Si
Andalus
Bànned
144 IQ
Quote by Insanity ninja
Jimmy's part is split into 4, himself, his tough persona, lunatic persona and romantic persona. I play the romantic one. Despite being hopeless with women irl.

Enjoy kissing the lovely birds then
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.
90 IQ
Quote by Andalus
Enjoy kissing the lovely birds then

Haha, thanks very much! ;D
Silverburst
Doveri
10 IQ
posting here again with a different answer.

Yes anyone can learn to sing, but depending on the person, it can be extremely challenging to learn.

The things you have to cover as a singer

Breathing: You should always breath with your upper abdominals. breathing from your chest or pushing out your stomach voluntarily will not allow you to use a full breath. Put your hands on your upper abs while you sing, they should inflate as you inhale, and slowly deflate as you sing and exhale.

Vocal tract relaxation: Singing a scale of notes while keeping your mouth completely still will help relax your throat. Also singing in the most relaxed way you can, will help relax it; as if you are sighing quietly.

Basic resonance: using your falsetto, direct your sound to your soft palate/nose, rather than going out your mouth.

Nasal resonance: you have to maximize your nasal resonance to sing good. Basically, just sing in the most sissy girl way you can while directing EVERYTHING to your nose. That means you SHOULDN'T rely on your throat, just your nose.

Mixing: When you have a good nasal resonance, use the vowel "Oh" to start blending both of your registers. "Oh" is better to practice with than lyrics, because lyrics can make your vocal space smaller than it needs to be.

Most important tip: never pull up your chest voice. you have to take a chest voice and blend it into a good upper register. Pulling your chest will prevent you from blending and if you try to blend, you will be blending into a powerless upper register.
Duce180
20 IQ
I started off with absolutely no natural singing talent, I sounded horrible, was off pitch, tone sounded like a breathy 11 year old lol. I sang for a friend of mine who was lead singer in my band, he told me I was the worst singer he had ever heard and that I should never try to sing again haha. That was enough to motivate me, now I can sing better than him.

Ive improved a ton, when I compare myself to my old recordings of myself a year ago. Im still not great but im progressing every day, I feel I can become great if I continue to work every day on it, but rome wasn't built in a day. I know that Luciano Pavarotti (regarded as the best male opera singer) had to work on his voice for years and years before he first sang live.

If I can manage to sing, anyone can, get singing lessons, its a MUST if your not a natural singer (i always say if lessons aren't an option atleast get a singing program, Singing Success is a good option to have). Ive learned to enjoy the process of learning singing technique, the ins and outs of it, and all that encompasses the voice, it really is quite interesting.
pushbuttonfour
30 IQ
well, I suppose not everyone can learn how to sing, but if you have a musical ear (as you probably do cuz you play guitar), you will probably have a knack for singing as well. Even people with "bad" voices can end up singing well an uniquely, like Tom Delonge, etc