Poll: Are video games an artform?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are video games an artform?
Yes
96 51%
No
10 5%
Not inherently, but some games could be considered as such.
75 40%
Mommy doesn't let me rot my brain
8 4%
Voters: 189.
Page 5 of 5
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
You're a pretty poor troll bro

it seemed to work on a few people here. they aren't as used to being trolled by me as you and bob.
you're a stone fox
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, it's pretty weird that that stereotype is still commonly used. I really can't think of more than one or two people I know who doesn't play video games that is under 30 years old

They would seem to be more popular than films in my experience. I know tons of people who just flat out don't watch any movies.
Doesn't mean it's art, bro.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery
3,727 IQ
Video games are not inherently art, but that isn't always the intention, either.

This isn't any kind of degradation towards video games. I have a firm, unwavering passion for video games as a whole. It is one of the biggest parts of my life (without it consuming it). I say this with the utmost in respect.

Of course games CAN be art, when they're trying to be (or, even not).

The conception, creation, and thought that goes into each game is art. The synecdoches are firmly rooted in arts of various kinds. Visual, auditory, etc. But each game is not art.

Examples:

Shadow of the Colossus.

It has a firm, strong narrative, a fantastic visual style, and brings about emotions in various ways. It stirs in you. It sticks with you. It is art. The entire experience is of much artistic value, on many, many levels.

Shadow of the Colossus is art.

Bejeweled.

It is a fantastic visual experience. The puzzles are simple, accessible, addictive and fun. The development of the game required much research, experience, and talent. The style of the game is beautiful, and effective. The thought that went into the core game is outstanding. A mark of true genius. The concept, and creation, of the game is art. It is a beautiful brain child of pure brilliance. But the game itself is just that, a game. It isn't meant to be a narrative, or story, or an overall emotive experience.

Bejeweled is not art.

Don't get me wrong. All video games require art to be created. That much is readily, and easily, evident. But not every game is art, because not every game is meant to be art.

Video games are not art. But the artistic value of many, many, many, many video games can't be ignored.

Video games are not art, and they do not need to be.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by fallenangel20
Don't get me wrong. All video games require art to be created. That much is readily, and easily, evident. But not every game is art, because not every game is meant to be art.

You get a gold star for this statement!

But seriously, agree 100% with you, especially the bolded part.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
"Video games are art" - virgins, while wiping Cheetos dust on their mustaches.
progdude93
Banned
380 IQ
Video games that aim to be more than just something you play repetitively that satisfies a carnal need for violence and/or puzzle solving can be art. CAN BE.

I don't play that many games, but I find that the immersive games that tell a story and have a point are art. Alan Wake, for example, is art. If films can be art, video games can be.
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
318 IQ
Yes. The very concept of video games, when you get down to it, is heavily based in both the world of video and of literature, and the sounds and music are almost essential to create a solid, beautiful work of art.

If any of the areas fail, you'll get a lackluster game. When they all come together in the perfect storm, you get a masterpiece.

However, on that same hand, you can also have bad apples that suck so horribly in every area, that they begin to bleed from the eye sockets to try and drain themselves of the pure amount of suckage that they produced in the grotesque, contorted parts of their rotting corpses, sewed together with the braided ropes of dollar bills, and whipped mercilessly for more money.

In the end, it depends on the game I guess.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Feb 26, 2013,
TheChaz
Other Barry
543 IQ
Video games are art. It doesn't make them better or worse than anything else, it's just the category of "things" they fall in to. Art is just a label to describe things with certain characteristics. Video games have those characteristics.

brb, wiping cheetos dust off my mustache.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Mister A.J.
Yes. The very concept of video games, when you get down to it, is heavily based in both the world of video and of literature, and the sounds and music are almost essential to create a solid, beautiful work of art.

If any of the areas fail, you'll get a lackluster game. When they all come together in the perfect storm, you get a masterpiece.

However, on that same hand, you can also have bad apples that suck so horribly in every area, that they begin to bleed from the eye sockets to try and drain themselves of the pure amount of suckage that they produced in the grotesque, contorted parts of their rotting corpses, sewed together with the braided ropes of dollar bills, and whipped mercilessly for more money.

In the end, it depends on the game I guess.

The question of 'are video games art' depends on whether you happen to like the game or not? You're the guy who decides for all of us then? You don't think that perhaps even bad art is still 'art'?

Quote by fallenangel20

Bejeweled.

It is a fantastic visual experience. The puzzles are simple, accessible, addictive and fun. The development of the game required much research, experience, and talent. The style of the game is beautiful, and effective. The thought that went into the core game is outstanding. A mark of true genius. The concept, and creation, of the game is art. It is a beautiful brain child of pure brilliance. But the game itself is just that, a game. It isn't meant to be a narrative, or story, or an overall emotive experience.

Bejeweled is not art.

That doesn't make sense. You cannot concieve and create something in an artistic way without the end product being defined under some genre of 'art'. If something is man made, is intended as a 'fantastic visual experience' and indeed is a 'fantastic visual experience' then surely it is art.

Look, art is all about 'form and content'.
Form means:
*The elements of art.
*The principles of design.
*The actual, physical materials that the artist has used.

Content is idea-based and means:
*What the artist intends to portray.
*What the artist actually did portray.
*How we react, as individuals, to both the intended and actual messages.

Basicaly, if it is man made and gets some sort of an emotional reaction (and it really doesn't matter what type of an emotional reaction it gets, just so long as it gets one) then it's 'art'.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 26, 2013,
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,027 IQ
Quote by element4433

You keep saying this, yet you have failed to state as to why not, just as everyone else who has claimed no.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled
278 IQ
Video games are art in the same sense that electronic music is music. They both have some elements that technically fit the definition, but we all know that it's not really art.
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover
192 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
You keep saying this, yet you have failed to state as to why not, just as everyone else who has claimed no.

They just be trolling.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
goest
SJW
272 IQ
Quote by element4433

I ****ing hate Cheetos.
mental_zer0
ME OTO EM
521 IQ
Quote by element4433

"i am the decider" - virgin guitar forum mod, wiping the semen from his mod panel
CoreysMonster
Banned
8,557 IQ
Quote by mental_zer0
"i am the decider" - virgin guitar forum mod, wiping the semen from his mod panel

Valgoroth
70 IQ
Videogames can be art, the same way music can be art but can also be a bunch of illiterate teenagers talking over a beat. WarZ is the videogame equivalent of the latter.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Weaponized
imo evertyhing is art

Imho, that assertion is downright stupid...
Godsmack_IV
taking out the trash
447 IQ
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

If you accept that art is purely expression for it's own appreciation, it follows that games (although they may contain elements of art ) are inherently not art as game mechanics call for input from the player rather than being purely expressive ( giving output ). Games can't be considered standalone pieces for their own enjoyment because they are incomplete without a player. Movies, books, and songs on the other hand preserve their sameness independent of an audience. They are meant to be absorbed as they are for their subjective sense impressions, not to elicit a specific outcome. The intent of an art gallery isn't to learn how to reproduce a painting - the meaning of a song isn't imbedded in trying to figure out what note comes next.

I'm sure you have your own conception of what constitutes art; it's a matter of opinion.
WhiskeyFace
:^)
1,131 IQ
Quote by Godsmack_IV
If you accept that art is purely expression for it's own appreciation, it follows that games (although they may contain elements of art ) are inherently not art as game mechanics call for input from the player rather than being purely expressive ( giving output ). Games can't be considered standalone pieces for their own enjoyment because they are incomplete without a player. Movies, books, and songs on the other hand preserve their sameness independent of an audience. They are meant to be absorbed as they are for their subjective sense impressions, not to elicit a specific outcome. The intent of an art gallery isn't to learn how to reproduce a painting - the meaning of a song isn't imbedded in trying to figure out what note comes next.

I'm sure you have your own conception of what constitutes art; it's a matter of opinion.

That's the crux of the debate, but I think it can be done. E.G: Red Dead Redemption.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
yes

/thread

Guys, I already settled this with the first post
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Benny Blanco
10 IQ
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Video games are art in the same sense that electronic music is music. They both have some elements that technically fit the definition, but we all know that it's not really art.

So electronic music isn't real music. LOL ok then.
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled
278 IQ
Quote by Benny Blanco
So electronic music isn't real music. LOL ok then.

You're probably the type of person who is into holistic medicine, astrology, and mayan doomsday conspiracies, right?
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks
2,920 IQ
Video games can be art. Some games can have a combination of incredible atmosphere, soundtrack, and a story line which tie together so well that'd it be pretty closed minded to say it was anything less than artistic. Or you can have the shit that floods the market by EA.
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.
630 IQ
Quote by Godsmack_IV

Doesn't all art require the participation of the viewer? Eraserhead is art if I agree to participate in thought while watching it. Van Gogh's painting require that I participate. Therefore, anything I do in a video game is my interpretation and reaction to a world someone else created. It is no different.

How about performance art in which an audience is utilized to express something?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Feb 27, 2013,
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,720 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
Guys, I already settled this with the first post

Quote by whywefight
jesus christ let this thread dieeee

THANK YOU!
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Quote by Weaponized

imo everthing is art
Imho, that assertion is downright stupid...

While I agree that "everthing is art" cannot be literaly true, (because part of the definition of 'art' includes that it must originate with a person's intention, for something to be considered as art it has to be 'man made' or at least include some form of 'human conception' somewhere in it's development, and "everything" is not 'man made' or a result of 'human conception', some things, for example like rocks, water, clouds, light, etc, occur naturaly without any need for the interaction of humans) I would say that everything that is man made can be considered as art, because for something to be made it first has to be 'designed' and all design can be considered as coming under the heading of 'art'.
Cianyx
UG Nerd
1,216 IQ
if everything man made can be considered art, what's to stop it from being art?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Benny Blanco
10 IQ
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
You're probably the type of person who is into holistic medicine, astrology, and mayan doomsday conspiracies, right?

Nope, I just believe there are two types of music. Music I like and music I dont like. You can just discount music because "zOOMGGEEzz DEY DNT UZE REEL INTSTRUMUNTZ!". Plus, it takes a lot of talent to compose good electronic music.
luvs2gro
Ug's Zorak
127 IQ
Yes, I think so. The people who make the games are using LINES OF CODES to produce an alternate reality for us to enjoy, explore, and discover. It's like magic really. More of an art form than an actor or actress memorizing phrases and acting them out for a camera. Hopefully in the future instead of having the Oscars or whatever we have giant award shows for developers.