MasmaI
The Unholy MasmaI.
125 IQ
I was reading that anti-piracy petition article and the comments on it and I had a viewpoint that I figured got too big to post in the comments.

It seems to me that the smoothest way for the music industry to run now a days would be to have NO national or worldwide overlying music industry. Since there are a ton of small local bands all over the place who have decent recording capabilities (much better than the 70s or 80s at least) and access to almost affordable decent gear, if they all connected with local venues and local artists and always just played moderately local and through "piracy" spread their music to everyone possible then little money would have to be spent on touring and recording to maintain an appreciable following.

The only downsides to this viewpoint I see off the top of my head is not only no money gained but money lost on pretty much everything, but comon I'm 19, bought my own halfstack and guitar, wasnt that expensive for something good enough, and like 5 dudes down the street from everyone and a million on the internet can record their band. Then if the industry actually kicks up on that scale, the constant shows just might bring enough money to the venues where the bands and venue can work a commission deal, so then eventually you might make all or most of your money back

But the real kicker is that then if you wanna see your absolute-alltime-favorite band, then you just might have to shell out 500 dollars airfare to get to them. But hey, that little show will only cost 10 bucks anyway, and if you really loved em soo much youd probably be willing to shell it out. And anyway youd be going to local shows all the time anyway so it wouldnt be the end of the world,, at least in my opinion.

What do you guys think?
Any other pro's or con's?
Quote by JeanMi36
The little toe is one fragile motherfuc*er.
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Some of us have responsibilities. I can drive three hours to Oklahoma City, see Opeth and Ghost, then drive three hours back in time to catch five hours of sleep before class.

I can't fly to Sweden.

Piracy stole my car anyway.
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!
396 IQ
Pirates stole my ship
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Better recording tech that bands don't know how to use doesn't mean much.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
MasmaI
The Unholy MasmaI.
125 IQ
Quote by Todd Hart
Thanks Obama.

You're welcome sir.

Quote by JeanMi36
The little toe is one fragile motherfuc*er.
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Quote by MasmaI
You're welcome sir.

You aren't Nomack.

PIRATES STOLE NOMACK
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
strait jacket
cuntcuntcuntcuntcuntcunt
177 IQ
I like bands touring on a large scale, and actually holding a physical copy of the music is the main reason I (almost) never pirate music, while I understand that music as an industry currently cannot be sustained, it would sadden me greatly to lose the thrill of having a huge band come near to where I can see them or be actually unable to go to a shop and buy a cd with the cool cover art and booklet.Surely music must become less centralised but I think there ought to be some notion of an industry as opposed to a disparate sets of musician/venue operators loosely following a formula of distribution, I haven't got a workable solution though.

sorry I should have read this thread first,
piracy ate my lunch AND stole my girlfriend.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
Twofly
UG's official GhostHunter
661 IQ
Quote by MasmaI

It seems to me that the smoothest way for the music industry to run now a days would be to have NO national or worldwide overlying music industry. Since there are a ton of small local bands all over the place who have decent recording capabilities (much better than the 70s or 80s at least) and access to almost affordable decent gear, if they all connected with local venues and local artists and always just played moderately local and through "piracy" spread their music to everyone possible then little money would have to be spent on touring and recording to maintain an appreciable following.

The only downsides to this viewpoint I see off the top of my head is not only no money gained but money lost on pretty much everything, but comon I'm 19, bought my own halfstack and guitar, wasnt that expensive for something good enough, and like 5 dudes down the street from everyone and a million on the internet can record their band. Then if the industry actually kicks up on that scale, the constant shows just might bring enough money to the venues where the bands and venue can work a commission deal, so then eventually you might make all or most of your money back

But the real kicker is that then if you wanna see your absolute-alltime-favorite band, then you just might have to shell out 500 dollars airfare to get to them. But hey, that little show will only cost 10 bucks anyway, and if you really loved em soo much youd probably be willing to shell it out. And anyway youd be going to local shows all the time anyway so it wouldnt be the end of the world,, at least in my opinion.

That's what she said!
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.