anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
These polls are based on personal preference. And I feel about John Taylor the same way that Guy Pratt does, so this ranking seems misguided and ill placed.

I see flame shields being required going forward. But you all can surprise me nonetheless
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 28, 2013,
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
Geddy Lee, Billy Sheehan and Cliff Burton got ****ing robbed!
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
dark Mass
ZORK
523 IQ
Why is Paul McCartney in the top 10?

Anyways I stopped caring for these lists since they change day to day.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
I mean, who gives a shit? Really.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
This reminds me of when NME voted "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division as the best song ever. Seriously though, music press is ****ing terrible.
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Quote by dark Mass
Why is Paul McCartney in the top 10?

Anyways I stopped caring for these lists since they change day to day.

If we needed any more confirmation of the fact this poll is worthless than John Taylor getting number one, it's the fact that Paul McCartney came ahead of James Jamerson.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
Quote by Ziphoblat
If we needed any more confirmation of the fact this poll is worthless than John Taylor getting number one, it's the fact that Paul McCartney came ahead of James Jamerson.

qft

Haven't even looked at the list. Probably won't because... wat.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I dream of the day when people realise that 'best' is not a synonym for 'favourite.' Alas, I will probably be long gone by then. It may well be my grandchild's dream.

-Ben

I really think that the poll was generated by a bunch of John Taylor / Duran Duran fans or someone who got a tonne of payola cash.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,511 IQ
well, I liked the way the site presented the list anyways, I just watched tons of vids.
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
Just look at the first half, put Billy Sheehan over Stanley Clarke.

Sheehan is nothing but chops. Zero actual musicianship. There's a reason why all of Mr. Big's shred tunes were in G... Cause thats the only scale Sheehan ever learned.

Meanwhile Stanley Clarke is a monster on the electric and upright and probably has as much -- if not more -- chops than Clarke has.

With Pino and MINGUS even further down. My god.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Feb 28, 2013,
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Does John use Orange amps? Geddy does, and he's second.

To be fair, Geddy Lee deserves to be way up there on most of these polls and it's hardly unlikely that he was legitimately voted into that place.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
Quote by Black Ox
Had to giggle at Paul Grey making the list.

If I remember right, he was a Orange amp artist. Don't think Taylor was or is, but I might be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsD5MoQJK2I

The fun starts at around 1:27. Sorry I just had to post.
BassTapp
197 IQ
Good to see Simon Gallup get some recognition! Interesting list overall though...
Sliide90027
368 IQ
Quote by King Of Suede
Just look at the first half, put Billy Sheehan over Stanley Clarke.

Sheehan is nothing but chops. Zero actual musicianship. There's a reason why all of Mr. Big's shred tunes were in G... Cause thats the only scale Sheehan ever learned.

Meanwhile Stanley Clarke is a monster on the electric and upright and probably has as much -- if not more -- chops than Clarke has.

With Pino and MINGUS even further down. My god.

Aaaghhemm!

All the Scales are the same (By Grouping).

This is 4ths you know?
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Sliide90027
368 IQ
With people like Entwistle, Jaco, Squire, Lee, and King, Taylor is not even in the top 10. Burton, even though a friend of mine grew up with him and was one of the Pall Bearers, he does not make the top 10.

We still have people like Graham, Mingus, Boosty, and many others whose shoulders that Taylor stands upon.

Nevertheless, all populatiry contests are subjective.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
EclipseRising
UG Newbie
616 IQ
Quote by Sliide90027
With people like Entwistle, Jaco, Squire, Lee, and King, Taylor is not even in the top 10. Burton, even though a friend of mine grew up with him and was one of the Pall Bearers, he does not make the top 10.

We still have people like Graham, Mingus, Boosty, and many others whose shoulders that Taylor stands upon.

Nevertheless, all popularity contests are subjective.

Yeah its impossible to please everyone but this is a good list of players
2CoolGhouls

✌ Visit my listings for the best in Scary Props, Horror Toys, Masks and more! ✌
RyanStorm13
484 IQ
You can't beat "80's Pop" use of Bass.

Is there a difference between who writes better songs on bass, or who can play it better?

Cause I give my personal #1 spot to John Entwistle, either way! Then who ever plays bass for Taylor Swift gets #2, at least for best song writing.
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
However, I would argue even in 80s music there are far more remarkable bass players. I was actively playing and buying music in that era and the talent far exceed Mr. Taylor's expertise.

I give you:

Graham Maby (Joe Jackson, They Might Be Giants). Joe Jackson used to develop his songs around Graham's bass lines. Yes, they were that good.

Bruce Thomas One of the eras most underrated bass player. His bass playing took new wave, pub rock and Jamerson's style Motown licks and moved it into a whole new ball game.

Mark King He's on the list but much better than Taylor. Just listen to his work with Level 42 to realise this fact.

and that is only the first three I could come up with...if you start mining into the TuTone music craze, the list gets longer. And then there's dance music and we could be here all day.
Spanner93
333 IQ
Quote by anarkee
However, I would argue even in 80s music there are far more remarkable bass players. I was actively playing and buying music in that era and the talent far exceed Mr. Taylor's expertise.

Mark King He's on the list but much better than Taylor. Just listen to his work with Level 42 to realise this fact.

Hell yeah, he's my personal favourite. Level 42 were fantastic, but I personally prefer his solo material (especially "Influences"). John Taylor is a good bass player, and worthy of the list, just not worthy of the top spot.

You could pretty much fill the list with players from the 80's, IMO the golden age of bass wankery
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
873 IQ
Oh just realized... I don't remember seeing the name, looked at the list a few days ago. No Jerry Peek on that list? If you need any affirmation as to why he needs to be on there, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qJPLZxNi0

Not the biggest showcase, but shows his pocket and linear ability.
Another one which he solos in is "Cruise Missile" by the same band.
Quote by Banjocal
Temezki
Bassist
56 IQ
WTF this is seriously ****** up list
Gear:

Sandberg California TM5
Jackson C20J
EBS MultiComp
Boss ODB-3
MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz
Warwick Blue Cab 30.1 (home)
Laney RB9 and Laney RB 410
Dunlop Big Stubby 2mm
Levy's Strap
Cordial cables (Roadline, Silent, Encore)