ZOSO <(")
758 IQ
I might be getting a bass soon but I don't have a bass amp. Can I play a bass through a regular guitar amp?
katalyzt13
2,152 IQ
It is like gambling with your guitar amp, for real. I've played a bass through a 212 120 watt solid state guitar amp and it was okay, but I did it knowing full well that I could potentially kill my amp. I wouldn't recommend it.
moody git
i probably won't commit
360 IQ
we should probably rename the forum to add this in. don't take the risk. even if it doesn't cause your speaker to break into millions of pieces it will more than likely sound like a fart and who wants that? guitar speakers aren't meant or built to handle the frequencies put out by a bass.

in short, that VV
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Feb 28, 2013,
jetwash69
889 IQ
Don't do it through your guitar amp, but if you have a PA, you can plug it into the PA thru a DI Box.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
fudger
Im a ninja of love..
647 IQ
We should make a thread for this and get it stickied so we don't have to answer thus question quite as much.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by fudger
We should make a thread for this and get it stickied so we don't have to answer thus question quite as much.

No-one reads the stickies, and if they did there'd be like no posts in here (or in many other forums). Just seems to be the way UG is
tabdog
377 IQ
It depends on the guitar amp.

If you use an old Peavey Basic 80,
you'd be fine. The Trasntube, not
as much. Especially an open back
is bad.

I put an old 1960's 12 inch JBL
guitar speaker in a bass amp
and it was a big improvement.
I used that amp over 25 years
with no problem.

Wish I hadn't sold it,

Tabdog
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by ZOSO <(
I might be getting a bass soon but I don't have a bass amp. Can I play a bass through a regular guitar amp?

The problem that will usually follow is damage to the speakers due to the extra cone movement/excursion that is required for bass application.
Sound from a speaker is about moving air, the lower the frquency the more air is moved this means extra cone movement.
Bass speakers are more expensive to produce due to the added/type of materials used on the front and rear suspensions which are not needed on a standard/guitar loudspeaker.
Another point to consider is that a low wattage amplifier can overheat in the output stage if being used for bass application, this is due to the extra power required when making the loudspeaker reproduce low bass frequencies with the extra cone movement.
A standard speaker can and usually will fatigue and soften the surrounds if used in bass applications at high levels over a period of time.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Mar 5, 2013,
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year
405 IQ
Quote by fudger

It's not a thread completely on its own, but it is in one of the stickies in this forum. 2nd post of the "Ultimate Bass Forum FAQ":
Quote by FatalGear41
And on the sixth day, the Lord God did sayeth unto the world; "Let there not be found amongst you one who maketh yet another goddamned thread asking if thou shalt play thy bass through a guitar amp. For the answer is and forever shall be no; thou shalt not do it; for it is an abomination and shalt destroy thine guitar amp in the course of time."

And the people did rejoice.

So let it be written; so let it be done.

I believe it can work the opposite way around, though. (Playing a guitar through a bass amp = ok)
Last edited by _ThePanda_ at Mar 3, 2013,
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by _ThePanda_
It's not a thread completely on its own, but it is in one of the stickies in this forum. 2nd post of the "Ultimate Bass Forum FAQ":
I believe it can work the opposite way around, though. (Playing a guitar through a bass amp = ok)

Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane played through Fender Bassman amps.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
No-one reads the stickies, and if they did there'd be like no posts in here (or in many other forums). Just seems to be the way UG is

Sure people would read it. Just make the title "DON'T PLAY YOUR BASS THROUGH A GUITAR AMP!"

Anyway, the only issue with guitar amps is the speakers. You can play a bass through a guitar amp as long as you use some kind of crossover or EQ to limit the low frequencies.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself

Anyway, the only issue with guitar amps is the speakers. You can play a bass through a guitar amp as long as you use some kind of crossover or EQ to limit the low frequencies.

Not true.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
_ThePanda_
Noob of the year
405 IQ
Quote by John Swift
Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane played through Fender Bassman amps.

Yup. I think blues guitar players use bass amps as well because of the certain tone that is achieved from it.
BassKitteh
21 IQ
It's fine to use a guitar on a bass amp, but the other way round could rip your speaker cone.

Generally, bass amps are built from tougher materials to account for the lower frequencies and the speaker cones having to do more work, so if you try and run a bass through the guitar amp you'll see that the smaller cone of the amp won't be able to handle the air pressure of the bass.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by John Swift
Not true.

Yes it is though. There are plenty of famous bass players who use a guitar amp as part of their rig. Shouldn't you be on basschat anyway?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
Yes it is though. There are plenty of famous bass players who use a guitar amp as part of their rig. Shouldn't you be on basschat anyway?

Down for maintenance. :P
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself

The only difference regarding the amplifier is the preamp stage whereas the output stage can be used for PA, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, disco etc.
The difference regarding application for guitar or bass is in the speakers used.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Mar 4, 2013,
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by BassKitteh
It's fine to use a guitar on a bass amp, but the other way round could rip your speaker cone.

Generally, bass amps are built from tougher materials to account for the lower frequencies and the speaker cones having to do more work, so if you try and run a bass through the guitar amp you'll see that the smaller cone of the amp won't be able to handle the air pressure of the bass.

It is a falacy that bass amps are built from "tougher materials" often higher wattage, but made with standard materials.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself

Why?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by John Swift
Why?

Well just because the demographic of that forum is one that is possibly more in line with yourself rather than this website.
EH

Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
Well just because the demographic of that forum is one that is possibly more in line with yourself rather than this website.

Bass players?
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by Ziphoblat
Bass players?

Grumpy, middle-aged bass players. At least that is my experience of it. I've been away from that place for 8 months now, and hope never to return...
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Mar 5, 2013,
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
Grumpy, middle-aged bass players. At least that is my experience of it. I've been away from that place for 8 months now, and hope never to return...
Shouldn't you be in bed?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by John Swift
Shouldn't you be in bed?

If I was a normal student then I would be, but since I'm a final year engineering student with work to hand in then no.
EH

John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
If I was a normal student then I would be, but since I'm a final year engineering student with work to hand in then no.

Well now we know that you're abnormal we'll make allowances for you.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn