HeavyGuitarGuy
32 IQ
Ok just worked on the action on my Epiphone Les Paul. Raised it a bit. Tuned to Drop D. Not sure what its called. But when you hold the 5th fret on the string above and its the same note blah blah. Sorry for not knowing the technical terms. Any way. The B string on the 5th fret is a C....So yeah i don't know whats wrong. Any Ideas?
TV-Casualty
451 IQ
Drop D is when you tune only the low E string down to D

Forgive me if I've got it wrong, but i think what you mean to say is that you tried to tune your guitar down to D standard (meaning you tuned all of the strings down a whole step) and made a mistake somewhere.

If that's the case, re tune
HeavyGuitarGuy
32 IQ
Um no. I tuned to drop D....DADGBE. My B string on the fifth fret is only a C for some reason thats the only problem. I've never had this problem before. My bridge and everything is completely level. So I don't know what the deal is.
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
For clarification, are you saying that when you play the string open it's tuned to B & when you fret the fifth fret it plays a C? If that's the case then either your tuner is bad off or you've got the wickedest intonation problem I've ever heard of. If your open string is flat then maybe you just forgot to re tune all of the strings after making adjustments.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
HeavyGuitarGuy
32 IQ
Correction. I got the strings mixed up when I posted last night. Its my G string sorry. It goes all the way down to C when on the fifth fret.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
So when you play the fifth fret of your G string, you get a C?

Well, that's how it should be. You can count intervals. Five frets = five semitones = a fourth. There's a fourth between G and C. B can be found on the 4th fret of the G string if that's what you are after. Did I understand you wrong or what?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
that's because C is the fifth fret of G

the G->B interval is a major 3rd rather than a 4th like the relationships between the other strings
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
HeavyGuitarGuy
32 IQ
i thought it should be B because the string higher is a B. Plus when I do scales it sounds out of tune now.
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
i thought it should be B because the string higher is a B. Plus when I do scales it sounds out of tune now.

Naw my nig the guitar is tuned in fourths EXCEPT for the G to B strings which is a major third. It's pretty weird.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
Why does it sound all ****ed up now?

you probably fucked up your intonation by changing the string tension (when you adjusted the action) without compensating at the saddle
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
it sounds to low or something. What should I do to fix it
Do you own any kind of electronic tuning device?

On the outside change that you can actually screw intonation up by simply tuning to drop D, start saving for a guitar with one of these necks:
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 13, 2013,
dorablesings
21 IQ
Are you still in Drop D? If so are you sure you're playing the correct notes for the scale? Did you check your tuning? Did you check the tuning of fretted notes? As has been mentioned some guitars do have poor intonation, meaning that certain notes sound out of tune compared to others.
HeavyGuitarGuy
32 IQ
Yeah still in drop d. I have an electric tuner. Its never done this before.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
Yeah still in drop d. I have an electric tuner. Its never done this before.
Well, does the G sting say it's playing a C, when you fret it at the 5th fret?

First tune the G -3 to true pitch

If the C shows up as flat,he only thing I can envision going on here is the guitar is strung incorrectly, or the tuner mechanism is slipping.

I doubt tuning the E-6 down 2 half steps, is enough change in overall neck tension off enough to throw the guitar's intonation off across the board. But, who knows.
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
I don't mean to be rude, but you're playing a cheap guitar, you've raised the action when you're clearly inexperienced, and you're surprised that everything's gone wrong? Basically, your intonation is buggered, take it to a professional and pray that the damage isn't too bad. If you have truly buggered your guitar, you may have to write it off, let this be a lesson for the future.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by CelestialGuitar
hen you're clearly inexperienced, and you're surprised that everything's gone wrong? Basically, your intonation is buggered, take it to a professional and pray that the damage isn't too bad.
All pontification and condescension aside, when the action of a guitar is raised, fretted strings begin to sound SHARP of expected pitch, not FLAT.

With that said, any Les Paul, including the Epi, has a TOM bridge, along with adjustable string saddles. Let's make the assumption TS hasn't trashed the neck by some bizarre over-adjustment of the truss rod.

You would spin the TOM height adjusting screws back down to where they were, and all should be peaceful in happy valley once again.

As for the Epi Les Paul being "a cheap guitar", always remember you can make great music on an inexpensive instrument, and lousy music on a high priced one.
Withorwithout
188 IQ
Quote by Captaincranky

Holy shit whatsup with this neck? What is this for and what are they called? Looks interesting.
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
Quote by Withorwithout
Holy shit whatsup with this neck? What is this for and what are they called? Looks interesting.

It's called "True Temperament" & it's supposed to be the way to properly fret a guitar so that it is correctly intonated. Without getting to technical, straight frets are applied by using a mathematical formula based wholly on a guitar's scale length. In practice however there are other factors that affect intonation like string diameter & tension which makes the location of each fret different. This fretboard is supposed to correct for those other various things.

If you're interested check out their FAQ. http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php?go=4&sgo=0
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by CelestialGuitar
I don't mean to be rude, but you're playing a cheap guitar....

I wonder what sort of guitar you learnt on to get this mindset. Epi Les Pauls are good beginners instruments. They play well, sound good and stay in tune. You don't need more at the start and they represent good value for money too. And they are definitely not the cheapest beginners guitar either.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
HeavyGuitarGuy
32 IQ
Ok then. So I picked up my other guitar. I didn't move or adjust a thing. Tuned it with the same tuner. And the exact same thing happened. Is it my tuner?
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
Ok then. So I picked up my other guitar. I didn't move or adjust a thing. Tuned it with the same tuner. And the exact same thing happened. Is it my tuner?

So your 5th fret of the G string is C or is it just out of tune? If it's the first one, re-read the whole thread. Again, C is supposed to be the 5th fret of G string. And if it's just out of tune, I don't know. Maybe you should re-tune. Also use your ears to tune. If it sounds bad, it's out of tune. Check your intonation - 12th fretted note and 12th fret harmonic should be exactly the same pitch. If they are not, you need to adjust the saddles on the bridge or then take it to somebody who can adjust it if you can't do it yourself.

And it's good to know how to tune by ear.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 19, 2013,
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
TBH, I've never seen a cheap clip on tuner, or an onboard tuned that wasn't a bit loose when close to pitch.

In any event, I just grabbed one of these strobe tuners: http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Tru-Strobe-Pedal-Bypass/dp/B0033PSLSM/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1363736497&sr=1-3&keywords=planet+waves+CT-11 and it made all the difference when tuning my 12 strings.

If you can't get the guitar in tune with one of these, take up the piano.

PS: you can also set intonation with one of these, they even give you instructions for doing so.
HeavyGuitarGuy
32 IQ
Ok well Al 3 of my guiytars are doing this. My washburn Ml, Epiphone Les Paul, and Brand new, came in the mail today ESP V300. The ****ing G string. My tuner is a Korg CA-30. Just changed the batteries, still does it. No idk if its because when i went over to my sis house her kid got a hold of it and chewed on it. Idk because ive been using this tunner for years, this never happened till then.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
Ok well Al 3 of my guiytars are doing this. My washburn Ml, Epiphone Les Paul, and Brand new, came in the mail today ESP V300. The ****ing G string. My tuner is a Korg CA-30. Just changed the batteries, still does it. No idk if its because when i went over to my sis house her kid got a hold of it and chewed on it. Idk because ive been using this tunner for years, this never happened till then.

you have to be trolling

g->g#->a->a#->b->c
0->1-->2->3-->4->5

that's how it's supposed to be
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy
Right! Find a new girlfriend and buy a new tuner. Thread solved.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by HeavyGuitarGuy

What is the problem you are having again? What problem are you talking about? If you are still talking about G string 5th fret = C, that's how it's supposed to be.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 20, 2013,
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by Jehannum
Lord, Liar, or Lunatic?
What game are we playing here, "three guesses, the first two don't count"?
Bazz22
246 IQ
Well, for the record, the G string tends to always sound a tiny bit out of tune.
Captaincranky
288 IQ
Quote by Bazz22
Well, for the record, the G string tends to always sound a tiny bit out of tune.
For the record, TS was told to tune to G string to correct pitch, then check the pitch at the 4th and/or 5th fret, to verify that those notes would be a touch sharp due to normal intonation issues.

First it was his Epi Les Paul giving him problems. "I raised the strings". Which would require a slight intonation adjustment.

Now, "my GF's kid broke the tuner".

Which to me begins to sound like, "the dog ate my homework", if you know what I mean.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by Captaincranky
For the record, TS was told to tune to G string to correct pitch, then check the pitch at the 4th and/or 5th fret, to verify that those notes would be a touch sharp due to normal intonation issues.

First it was his Epi Les Paul giving him problems. "I raised the strings". Which would require a slight intonation adjustment.

Now, "my GF's kid broke the tuner".

Which to me begins to sound like, "the dog ate my homework", if you know what I mean.

to be fair it's his sister
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr