In the rehearsel room of my band are some crappy no brand amplifiers that really suck. So i'm looking for a distortion pedal that would be my main sound. An amp is not a possibility.

Genre: Pop punk, modern rock.

i'm looking for this sort of sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na7dwYv0Y-I

I've been looking at the jekyll and hyde distortion but I'm starting to wonder if i wouldnt be better off with something like an Line 6 Live XT.

budget is max €150 and i''m planning on buying used.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
a pedal won't 'help' a bad amp...

but to answer your question I love the Rat
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Not all amps take pedals the same. It really depends on what amp you're using.
I takes my delay and overdrive quite well. The amp doesn't have brand on it but I think it's some sort of solid state crate.

As i said buying an amp is not possible. I just have no way to get it there and there is no option to leave it there.

I'll look into the Rat but isn't like the boss DS 1? I hate that one.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
^ nah a rat's not really like the (modern) DS1.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

If it has an effects loop, go with the POD route.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Crowther hotcake. Loads of bottom end, loads of top end, adjustable mid section, uncoloured signal. Works with any amp (anyone that says they're no good with fender amps obviously doesn't own a fender amp) and has various adjustable parameters and shed-leads of gain on tap.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Jekyll and hydes are good pedals but aren't very good at pop punk, the fact it comes with a good tube screamer built into it is a plus. It should get you close enough to what's in the video that you won't really care.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Mar 14, 2013,
Since it is a solid state you best bet would be to use a distortion pedal that is essentially a tube amp.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid15701/cid692/blackstar-ht-dual-valve-2-channel-distortion-pedal.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid11815/cid692/electro-harmonix-english-muffn-guitar-fx-pedal.asp

Those are some good idea's of what is best for this situation, basically gives you the preamp section of a tube amplifier which gives you pretty damn authentic distortion.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Not a bad call actually - will make the best of a bad situation.

Quote by ne14t
Since it is a solid state you best bet would be to use a distortion pedal that is essentially a tube amp.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid15701/cid692/blackstar-ht-dual-valve-2-channel-distortion-pedal.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/compact-pedals/pid11815/cid692/electro-harmonix-english-muffn-guitar-fx-pedal.asp

Those are some good idea's of what is best for this situation, basically gives you the preamp section of a tube amplifier which gives you pretty damn authentic distortion.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Quote by ne14t
Since it is a solid state you best bet would be to use a distortion pedal that is essentially a tube amp hybrid amp pretending it's a tube amp.

Fixed (in my opinion!)
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Thanks for the suggestions.

The english muff'n is not that common around here and is just over my budget.

The Blackstar is within my budget (used) and sounds very interesting. i'm definately checking this one out.

What about the blackstar overdrive? Would it be too low gain?
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
I can get a Blackstar HT distortion for 60€, would it suit my needs? It's a good hour worth of traveling so I need to go if its any good to begin with :P
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
save your money and get a cheap tube amp.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on
Amplitube 4/Reaper (Lepou)

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
Like I said in a few earlier posts, an amp is not an option for now. Not even within 2 years
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Try the MXR Custom Badass Modified OD. It's awesome.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

well there are some decent modeling amps for around $100. you could even grab a vypyr 15 for like $50 if you are that desperate.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on
Amplitube 4/Reaper (Lepou)

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
If the amp sucks, a pedal won't just ignore that fact. It's the amp that's still the final checkpoint for the signal, the amp will still be amplifying the signal from the pedal.

If your amp has an FX loop, you can run a MFX like a Line 6 POD HD into the return, and try to dial in the best sound you can.

Are there any keyboard amps or PAs at your practice space?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Run the amp totally 'flat' (EQ section maxed out, gain on 0). You may find you want to roll the treble control back a little bit, depends on the amp and volume you're playing at. That gives you the best possible platform (note: still a shit platform) for whatever pedals you use.

The Blackstar HT-DUAL will be your best bet if you want one pedal to give you all your main tones. There's nothing fancy but it gives you the choice of a couple of different distortions and they do sound pretty good, or at least good enough.
The DigiTech HardWire pedals are also worth a look; the SC-2 will be your best bet for a simple distortion and it's got two modes (must switch by hand) so you've got some variety.

Stay away from 'metal' distortions, because those tend to be just the same as a regular distortion but with more noise for no good reason. Fuzz and overdrives also aren't really what you want; a fuzz into a solid state is fine if you're copying Prince but not too great for anything else and overdrive pedals are intended to provide a boost to already-distorting valve amps.

Using a unit like a POD is also worth checking out if you want to get additional effects like delay and chorus in there. If plain distortion is all you're after then a dedicated distortion pedal is a better option.

Regarding the amp thing, take a look at the Line 6 DT25 1x12" combo. It's just loud enough to play (small) gigs with and most importantly it's relatively compact and light compared to other amps of a similar nature. It's got a fair few options too so you can tweak the tone to your taste more than just the usual bass/middle/treble controls. I also like Fender's hot rodded amp series, as far as smaller-than-most combos amps go. If you can't transport a smaller-than-usual 1x12" then god knows what you expect to do when it comes to playing shows.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I just have no way to take an amp with me. I travel by bike and bus and there us no storage room in or near the rehearsel room.

The only thing, ampwise, i could do is getting a orange dual terror as it would fit in a backpack.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Quote by Trecion
I just have no way to take an amp with me. I travel by bike and bus and there us no storage room in or near the rehearsel room.

The only thing, ampwise, i could do is getting a orange dual terror as it would fit in a backpack.

Seeing as Take Off Your Colours era You Me At Six were big Orange users, that may actually e the best option for you, I don't think you'd even need the dual terror, just get the normal tiny terror and a tubescreamer/tubescreamer clone and you'll be set
Quote by harrisonatsix
Seeing as Take Off Your Colours era You Me At Six were big Orange users, that may actually e the best option for you, I don't think you'd even need the dual terror, just get the normal tiny terror and a tubescreamer/tubescreamer clone and you'll be set

I'm afraid that i'd be missing the clean channel. We don't have a lot of cleans in our songs but seeing as my guitar already is loaded with emg's i might have trouble with getting a clean by rolling back my volume.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
AMT make great sounding distortions, and this one - http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_oe_1.htm is supposed to emulate an Orange. And this one has a full eq too - http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_o_2.htm
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Trecion
I'm afraid that i'd be missing the clean channel. We don't have a lot of cleans in our songs but seeing as my guitar already is loaded with emg's i might have trouble with getting a clean by rolling back my volume.

Getting clean tones by rolling back is easiest with the highest and lowest output pickups. Lowest because it's so fast to travel from normal output to almost no output and highest because they have such a huge range, allowing you to set the gain lower to get the same level of maximum distortion.

If you crank the gain all the way up with high-output pickups then yes, you won't be able to roll the volume control (an output control, really) back to get a cleaner sound. BUu that also goes for low or medium output pickups. If you set the gain in the middle or just below that, though, a high output pickup will still push the amp into quite heavy distortion while rolling back the volume (output) will give you a clean tone as the amp isn't compressing everything as much.

I say this as someone who's used every mix of high output pickups with single-channel low-gain amps, low output pickups with multi-channel high-gain amps and whatever other combination you can name, you easily can get a clean tone out of a Terror using active pickups.

That said, regular Terrors are only 15 watts. They're loud enough for practice, but for a gig the only way you can get them loud enough is to really crank the volume and then you'll get just as much compression as if you had the gain jacked up. A Dual Terror is 30 watts, which should give you enough headroom to play at gig volumes without issue. But of course, then the problem is that the Dual is larger.

Realistically, if there really is no way for you to transport even a small 1x12" around (nobody has a car? Parents with a car?), your best bet is the distortion route. As I said, try runing the amp (whatever the hell it is) with a flat EQ and spend the extra money for a nice, professional-quality distortion unit, rather than a more common one. Again, the HardWire SC-2 and Blackstar HT-DUAL would be my picks, since they both give you a couple more options and are very solidly built.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.