dazzzer30
1,591 IQ
does Alternate Picking take more skill to learn than sweep picking ?
AndyGray
UG Addict
1,267 IQ
For me, Alt picking is simpler because it's just a straight ^v^v^v pattern. For sweep picking you really need to be familiar with economy picking (IE when to pick up and down for ease).

Try looking at Bryan Adams - Run To You. It's how I learned how to Alt pick.
StuartBahn
122 IQ
I think sweep picking is much less intuitive than alternate picking ... it's like driving a car with the brakes half on.
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a on creating an effective practice regime.
dazzzer30
1,591 IQ
Quote by AndyGray
For me, Alt picking is simpler because it's just a straight ^v^v^v pattern. For sweep picking you really need to be familiar with economy picking (IE when to pick up and down for ease).

Try looking at Bryan Adams - Run To You. It's how I learned how to Alt pick.

I to feel alt picking feels more natural but where it gets hard for me is when you want to go much faster and it turns in to speed alt picking , Also i seen a guy alt picking by (^v) on a single sting .
cdgraves
43 IQ
Different sounds, different skills. Sweeping is a legato technique, alt is staccato.
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Quote by cdgraves
Different sounds, different skills. Sweeping is a legato technique, alt is staccato.

Which probably means very little to the TS. Heck, I don't know what those terms mean now that I think about it.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dreamdancer11
38 IQ
Quote by dazzzer30
does Alternate Picking take more skill to learn than sweep picking ?

Yes especially strict alternate picking.Alternate picking is very obvious(down up down up) anyone can understand it but the strict application of it especially when several strings are crossed using sequences at breakneck speeds takes a lot of time to get down.

Sweep picking motion on the other hand isnt that obvious but...once someone explains you the correct way to practise it you go from intermediate to hero in almost zero time.