Newbie drum question. (I'm not our drummer.)

How does one get that metal double kick sound?
With a double-kick pedal or 2 bass drums. It's also possible to use certain techniques such as "heel-toe" to hit kick drums quicker, but let's be honest about this, if you can hit at a certain speed at one kick drum, you can always kick twice as fast on 2
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Yeah. We have a double kick pedal. I guess I could have worded that better. I'm talking about that almost clicking tone. Like should the drum head be tight? What kind of beater?
Are you talking about for recording? Because it's not going to sound like that while NOT mic'd up. It's an EQ thing. You boost the high end and it becomes quite clicky. You also may add a slight bit of distortion.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Well not just for recording, but I found that after we turned up the high EQ we had a little better sound. However, I have heard some bands reach that sound live. So perhaps it may be an effect. I'll keep experimenting.
If you're talking about bigger bands they have all the effects they need at their disposal when their playing live as well. But you shouldn't really need much more than a peak at somewhere around 1 kHz. Some people make it even higher but I don't see the point of a bass drum that doesn't have bass frequencies
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
alot of metal bands use triggers live to keep consistency during the set. they're linked to a 'brain', like on an electric kit.
Quote by metalli_head
alot of metal bands use triggers live to keep consistency during the set. they're linked to a 'brain', like on an electric kit.

+1. You can't get the exact sound by using acoustic drums without any effects or anything. If you want to get something approaching that sound on an acoustic kit though, you need to tune the batter head so it's really loose, like seriously loose. Then just play really hard. I know a lot of people don't like it because of the way the pedal "sinks in" to the drum, but hey - no-one said metal drumming was easy
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Mar 20, 2013,
If you are trying to get a good bass drum sound you dont have to down tune and hit hard, you could trigger the bass drum and use a clicky metal sounding kick, but also mic it so that you get that real sound too, overlap those and thats what happens in a studio and also live for most bands