So, after some time to let the last one wrap up, its time for mixoff #3.

What is it? Just expand the Spoiler:

In the spirit of the New Year, let us enter into a year of new beginnings & try something new in this forum.

So, what is it?

The BWMO is an every other week (as of right now, it may change based on popularity) chance to mix some raw sessions & compare them to your fellow forum members.
You'll be given a link to a session to download, you'll have one week to mix and post it to a streamable source (Soundcloud, Dropbox, Youtube, UG, ect) so we can listen to it.
This way, fellow UGers can give feedback on your mix & we can see who can mix the best.

Why should I participate?

This is just a great way to learn to mix better, learn different techniques & get feedback on your mixing. Also, since we're not mixing the same style all the time, you'll learn to mix different genres of music.

Are there any rules?

There are a few small rules, nothing too major but:

1. Please use a limiter on your mixes, not only will it help your mix but we don't want to listen to a bunch of tracks that keep clipping.
2. No recording extra parts. If you're a professional mix engineer, you're not going to be adding parts to songs.
3. As of right now, there are 3 plugins/virtual instruments (if MIDI drums are needed) that are very frowned upon:
1. EZMix, this is a mixing contest, not a "slap presets everywhere to make it sound mixed" contest.
2. Waves Artist Signature Series Bundles, same reason EZMix is frowned upon (Note: To avoid confusion, its these bundles, not the CLA Classic Compressors or JJP Analog Collection)
3. Steven Slate Drums Chris Lord-Alge Expansion, it just makes mixing drums too easy
4. Have fun. Sure, there is the desire to want to have the best mix but there are no prizes, just internet bragging rights.

Hey, I'd like to submit my session to be mixed, can we do that?

Totally, just send Lockwolf a PM and we can work something out.

Mix on

Our 3rd mixoff is from Odirumm. Since I'm too lazy to rewrite everything, here's the original post:

Hi folks. Here are some multi tracks of The Ghost Inside's song "White Light" for mixing practice.

The rar contains 3 mono guitar DIs (L, R, C), a ,mono bass DI, and midi drums. Tempo should be embedded in the drum midi, but if not, the tempo is 130 throughout.

Guitars are a bit sloppy here and there, but nothing majorly terrible. Bass is DI from Zombass 2.

Tracks:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/UG%20Stuff/White%20Light/White%20Light%20Multitracks.rar

Here's the tracking mixing in case you want to hear what you're getting into before downloading:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/UG%20Stuff/White%20Light/White%20Light.mp3

Looking forward to hearing everyone's take!

Finish by April 5th to be elegible to be crowned this mixoff's winner! (Seriously this time, if people actually vote on what their favorite mix was)

Mix on!
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Hopefully I can bounce myself some drums before I go to uni tomorrow, otherwise I guess my plans for Friday are sorted.
Are the drums done with a GM map? Fairly sure my Addictive Drums are set up differently, it sounds weird
Unconvincing MIDI drums, MIDI bass....nah, to be honest I think I'll be skipping this one. Cheers for the track though Odirunn.

How about a new thread with a poll at the end of the two week period?
Also, since it's halfway through March and we're starting #3...can we just call it monthly now please? :P
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Are the drums done with a GM map? Fairly sure my Addictive Drums are set up differently, it sounds weird

you should be able to change the mapping in AD to use GM. i know its an option because ive done it before
Quote by kyle62
Also, since it's halfway through March and we're starting #3...can we just call it monthly now please? :P

I think we should just call it the Ultimate Guitar Recording Forums Whenever-lockwolf-Gets-Around-To-Updating-It Mix Off
Quote by kyle62
Unconvincing MIDI drums, MIDI bass....nah, to be honest I think I'll be skipping this one. Cheers for the track though Odirunn.

Hey, at least we know they're tight then! I personally think these are the best tracks so far in this project. Since the drums are midi, it's your job to make it convincing through velocity editing I also like that there's only DI guitars - that, coupled with midi drums only, is going to make all the entries more unique. I will probably give this a spin, unlike the past two mix-offs

The only thing that was annoying to mix was the bass in the fast parts. Would definitely have preferred a real bass, but eh

EDIT: Here's a quick mix, without any mumbo-jumbo: [new link with re-tracked bass in later post]
Last edited by xFilth at Mar 22, 2013,
As happy as I am for DI guitars and MIDI drums, I'm not to keen on the MIDI bass. Something about it just bugs the hell outta me with it's sound (may have something to do with me being a bassist). Might just have to break rule 2 slightly and learn/record the line and post it here for everyone (so it's still fair). I get that the rule says no re-recording parts, but where are you finding a professional mix engineer who's mixing something with MIDI bass? They would have got the band to use a session bassist
Last edited by chatterbox272 at Mar 22, 2013,
Quote by chatterbox272
As happy as I am for DI guitars and MIDI drums, I'm not to keen on the MIDI bass. Something about it just bugs the hell outta me with it's sound (may have something to do with me being a bassist). Might just have to break rule 2 slightly and learn/record the line and post it here for everyone (so it's still fair). I get that the rule says no re-recording parts, but where are you finding a professional mix engineer who's mixing something with MIDI bass? They would have got the band to use a session bassist

The biggest problem with the bass is that it sounds like it's all at velocity 127 - extremely hard plucking sound on all the notes. It's like the snares of Superior - they sound pretty shit at 127. However I thought it was a fun challenge to overcome and I think it's pretty much at the heart of the mixoff - to polish a work as much as possible, no matter how "turdy" it may be
I'll allow re-records of bass since they're derived from MIDI.

Odi, if you're reading this, any chance you could upload the raw Bass MIDI? I'd love to tweak it & run it through Trillian
Quote by chatterbox272

Agreed. I'm not enjoying enjoying this one at all, everything sounds too fake.

I'm doing 24-channel live recording at a festival next week so we could have a live mixoff next time! I'm sick of everything being flawless and perfect.
Quote by kyle62
Agreed. I'm not enjoying enjoying this one at all, everything sounds too fake.

I'm doing 24-channel live recording at a festival next week so we could have a live mixoff next time! I'm sick of everything being flawless and perfect.

Hmm am I sensing an opportunity to annoy the crap out of myself, and use nothing but REAPER's own plugins?

Also once I either get the tracks from Priam, or get started on the next EP there will be some Masquerade: #19 tracks up here to play with. Side-question: if I were to submit tracks, and the scratch track my BL typically makes for a reference to what the song should sound like. Am I still able to enter? or would that be like cheating because it's my tracks?
Quote by lockwolf
I'll allow re-records of bass since they're derived from MIDI.

Odi, if you're reading this, any chance you could upload the raw Bass MIDI? I'd love to tweak it & run it through Trillian

In that case I'm definitely retracking bass

Quote by kyle62
I'm sick of everything being flawless and perfect.

lol
Quote by kyle62

If you get it, PM me. I'd love to run a Live Recording since they're totally different to mix.
Quote by Cavalcade
^ Yes, that sounds amazing. DIs?

Sure, np, I'll share the bass DIs. Gonna take a bit to upload due to my shit internet.

E: Here you go:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6017642/WL%20bass%20DI.wav

As you can hear, the strings are pretty dull, so you'll have to come up with a way to add some zing and grit
Last edited by xFilth at Mar 22, 2013,
Apparently, its dying. The last one was more popular by a long shot. I'll do some writeups on these here probably Wednesday when I'm off and if I find a solid session, we can get the next one running soon. Though, if the next one has a low turnout like this one, it'll probably be the last one.
Quote by sleziak
I'm too late to submit my entry sadly, but as a starting out sound engineer I'd like to hear your opinions on my mix (please c

https://soundcloud.com/marcin-2-1/white-light

Regards

Waaaaaaayyyyy too much limiting. Turn it down so that it is barely catching the loudest parts, hell you can even chain a couple of limiters together if your are gentle. Until then it's kinda hard to hear what is going on.
@maggot9779, My apologies there, I did indeed overdo on my volume rockers, I've reuploaded an improved version, it's under the same link, Regards
i have really well recorded sessions i've done. Not sure of the legality in sharing them but.
Quote by lockwolf
Apparently, its dying. The last one was more popular by a long shot. I'll do some writeups on these here probably Wednesday when I'm off and if I find a solid session, we can get the next one running soon. Though, if the next one has a low turnout like this one, it'll probably be the last one.

The biggest thing that's stopped me from entering is the (no offense) generally average quality of the tracks we have to work with. I mean, sure it's a challenge and every now and again polishing a turd can be a good excersise and can really make you think outside the box. Problem is that it just becomes a subpar mixoff when it's like that every single time, you know what I mean?

There's plenty of good stems available (here and here for instance) so why don't we use them? Hell I have stems of some of my Masquerade: #19 stuff which we re-tracked, but the reason I haven't offered it up (and won't be with the tracks I have). User tracks are cool, but we kinda need a certain standard to aim for yeah?
Yeah, I wanted to do user tracks with the first couple since its a familiar quality to what everyone is already working with. I'll probably dig through those sites later and find a new session for May.
hate to be the noob to ask this but im new to all this and wanted to give it ago. ive just downloaded the multitrack but how do i actually get them into my daw(reaper) to start mixing?
In Reaper: Insert > Media File

Then select all the the files and it will import them all and set the tempo off the MIDI.
Let's party.
aww ok thats what i thought but it wasnt working, its like grey and wont let me select it... i guess ill have to give it a miss then lol
Quote by elifafine
Four friends were arguing over whose dog was the smartest. The first man, an engineer, called to his dog, "T Square, show your stuff." The dog trotted over to a desk, pulled out a paper and pencil, and drew a perfect triangle.The next guy, an accountant, called to his dog, "Slide Rule, go ahead." The dog went to the kitchen, nibbled opened a bag of cookies and divided the contents into four equal piles.The next man, a chemist, beckoned his dog, Beaker, to show what he could do. The dog went to the fridge, took out a quart of milk and poured out exactly eighty ounces into a measuring cup.The last man was a government worker. "Coffee Break," he hollered to his dog, "go to it". With that, the dog jumped to his feet, soiled the paper, ate the cookies and drank the milk.

Ha ha ha hreported.

Why is this thread still stickied, anyway? Sucks that it didn't work out, but it's well past its expiration date by now.