fallen572
20 IQ
Hi, first off sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and sorry if this has already been addressed in another thread. I am a big fan of Matt Tuck, James Hetfield, Alexi Laiho and so forth.. and have been interested in screaming while playing guitar. I am really interested in death metal and melodic metalcore, and have been wanting to do vocals and guitar. I would say my vocal technique is pretty good, and so is my playing. Any tips and techniques from vocal/guitarists? Right now it seems a little awkward to do both at the same time. Thanks!
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
practice
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
fallen572
20 IQ
Quote by Hail
practice

Well yes, but any certain things to practice to improve?? any exercises?
Artemis Entreri
Panned
449 IQ
Quote by fallen572
Well yes, but any certain things to practice to improve?? any exercises?

Songs which involve screaming and playing guitar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
120 IQ
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Songs which involve screaming and playing guitar.

Usually I'd agree but if you just try jumping in to this without knowing what's really required of you it's really hard to get anywhere at all.

TS:

The most important thing is that you need to be able to do at least one of the things you need to do (that is either vocals or playing guitar) perfectly without thinking about it at all. If you have to think about what you're doing for one, even in the slightest, you won't be able to do the other at the same time.

A thing you might not have noticed in the past is some vocalists/guitarists who play really simple things where they need to sing at the same time, like one powerchord per bar or something. That's so they can just do the one thing at once and not have to think about the other while they're doing it. Alexi Laiho does this a fair bit sometimes although he's quite capable of doing both at once.

If you're playing heavier music you probably can't get away with doing that though so what you might want to work on is making sure you can do the vocals for whatever you're doing without a thought. Most of the time if you're doing heavier music like death metal the vocals will be the simpler aspect so it'll take a lot less effort to get that perfectly down so you can free your mind up to do the guitar work. I'm almost 100% certain this is what guys like John Gallagher and Muhammed Suicmez do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 20, 2013,
thetrueballs
10 IQ
if it's hard then I usually slow it down first, and go up from there.

if that doesn't work, then jump in the fire and just repeat one part or two at full speed,
work on stringing multiple parts together then polish voc and guitars seperately after that.
and try again.

practice, practice, practice. if you can't play your riffs without thinking about it, then
you should work on the riff first. AND then try to find out how the vocals are timed with thw riff.

i know everything sounds a bit contradictory, but i approach/learn singing on different parts/riffs in different ways. i hope it makes sense.
Last edited by thetrueballs at Mar 21, 2013,
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
60 IQ
from what i've read/heard, there are no exercises. the only way to practice this is to practice the actual song you want to learn, and to slow it down when the rhythms seem difficult.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Mind_Reader7
Tab Contributor
211 IQ
This video won't really help, but check out how insane Devin can do it.

The second half of the video really showcases some skill. It's an intense riff, coupled with singing and great stage persona.

2:20-3:10 is a great example.
The little tapping part just before 3:10 is also played by Devin while singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sDc233bOKM
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
fallen572
20 IQ
Quote by Mind_Reader7
This video won't really help, but check out how insane Devin can do it.

The second half of the video really showcases some skill. It's an intense riff, coupled with singing and great stage persona.

2:20-3:10 is a great example.
The little tapping part just before 3:10 is also played by Devin while singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sDc233bOKM

shit thanks for showing me this guy anyway, he kicks ass
AndyGray
UG Addict
110 IQ
Try doing the intro to Foo's - All My Life. The guitar & vocals are really hard to do together.