So, a little while ago I purchased a Fender John 5 Acoustic guitar for £200 off eBay, it needed new bridge pins as there was just an assortment of pins thrown in to hold strings, and the 'chrome' scratch plate and been used so much that there was no 'chrome' left. So here's the guitar as I bought it...

So, I ordered a new set of pins after asking fender which I needed. Whipped the scratch plate off with a little help from a hair dryer, and gave it a few coats of chrome paint from a local auto-parts store, and below is what I was left with...

...and a shot with her electrical sister...

Just wanted to share this small refurb I had a go at, I'll be honest, I'm not completely happy with the scratch plate and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it. But I wanted to just say as well, if anyones thinking about doing something like this or a full customization, GO FOR IT. You need to give it a go and it is so rewarding!! I strung this beauty up with a fresh set of Elixir 11's and it feels great to play again!!
It looks pretty good. I think your best bet with a chrome pickguard is to get a clear one (or just some clear plastic material and cut it into the right shape) and then get some stick-on chrome stuff and stick it underneath. That way, you will have a proper chrome sort of look, and it will be protected from getting scratched off again.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
It looks pretty good. I think your best bet with a chrome pickguard is to get a clear one (or just some clear plastic material and cut it into the right shape) and then get some stick-on chrome stuff and stick it underneath. That way, you will have a proper chrome sort of look, and it will be protected from getting scratched off again.

That's great idea mate thank you!!

And yes von lol chrome is a one of a kind thing that ya just can't replicate.
Quote by eddiehimself

+1 something like the metal tape you can get at auto-parts store (but wider ofcorse)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah I'm gonna get looking into possible solutions going along those lines and see what I can come up with.

So although I posted this as a finished article, it would appear its only just getting started haha
Quote by T.A.Z
Yeah I'm gonna get looking into possible solutions going along those lines and see what I can come up with.

So although I posted this as a finished article, it would appear its only just getting started haha

Welcome to the world of tinkering with guitars. You are never finished if you can possibly change something.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not