MetalTapper
322 IQ
Quick question:

What is the difference between the rest and a ghost strum? When you still have to come down past the strings on the 'rest' to come up on the third count, why couldn’t I just use the 'rest' as another count? This is where I was getting lost while trying this and it was throwing me off in the count as I was going down on three and not up.

Thanks guys!
derek8520
328 IQ
Quote by MetalTapper
Quick question:

What is the difference between the rest and a ghost strum? When you still have to come down past the strings on the 'rest' to come up on the third count, why couldn’t I just use the 'rest' as another count? This is where I was getting lost while trying this and it was throwing me off in the count as I was going down on three and not up.

Thanks guys!

What do you mean by a ghost strum? Do you mean scraping the pick across muted strings?

A rest should be completely silent.
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
A ghost strum is you miss the strings, and your hand moving. The notes will still ring out. A rest is completely silent. With ghost strumming you keep your hand moving up and down regardless of whether you are hitting a note or notes or not.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Mar 23, 2013,
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
A ghost strum is a guitar-related, physical concept.

A rest is an actual music theory thing that relates to all instruments.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
A ghost strum is a rest. Its used to incorporate a rest without losing the rhythm of the strumming pattern.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not