Poll: To relic or not to relic?
Poll Options
View poll results: To relic or not to relic?
Leave it relic
3 30%
Sand it down
7 70%
Voters: 10.
First off, hello everybody! Long time, no post. I acquired a black MIM jazz V earlier this week, and I spent most of this morning stripping the paint off of it (heat gun style). I've done several refinishing jobs before, and generally after the original finish is gone I like to sand the body down as smooth as possible (the stripping process sometimes nicks the body up a little bit).

For this bass however, I don't know. I've attached some photos to go along with the poll, and I just want some other opinions.

So what have you UG? Leave it reliced and apply poly as is? Or Sand it silky smooth?
Quote by supersac
that looks nice now
adds character

i agree with this. i'd still put a layer of protecty stuff over the wood now though.

(yeah i have no idea about this kinda stuff)
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by Spaz91
Poor woodwork does not a relic make.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

I sanded it earlier today,and the body looks super smooth. The second coat is drying right now, just a high-gloss polyurethane. I will post pictures of the finished product, of course.
Rough edges don't look good, it doesn't make it look like an instrument that has aged through use, just one that's been dropped a lot.
Wood doesn't affect tone. Grow up.
Jazz basses should only be one colour - olympic white with a tortoiseshell pickguard.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Spaz91
Rough edges don't look good, it doesn't make it look like an instrument that has aged through use, just one that's been dropped a lot.

Its really subjective, but I'm glad you got a chance to express your opinion. Everybody needs that.

I digress, I sanded it all pretty and such, and I'm super happy with how it came out.

The final picture came out crappy, but oh well. Thanks for the opinions, all 9 people who voted.
it looks a lot better sanded. good job
Making your day worse so tomorrow seems better.