Raining Kasch
20 IQ
I am SO torn here. I'm in the market for a new guitar. And its definitely either going to be a Tele or a Flying V.
I've tried Telecasters and the higher end ones rule. They stay in tune no matter what tuning I throw at them, the tone seems great (wasn't all that impressed, but it had a nice crunch to it), and it was in my price range.
I've never played a real Flying V before (a working one, anyway), but it's been my farthest reaching dream guitar since I was in the 8th grade.
Functionality VS Awesome Fantasy guitar.
Thoughts on which is better?
HammerParty
120 IQ
Do you like sitting up or standing up to play? The former would be a tele, the latter a V. Also models differ from each other. WIthout exact models, it's hard to tell you which is better.
gerraguitar
70 IQ
I don't really think you can say one is better than the other. They are completely different and one person will prefer one over the other regardless. I used to own a Randy Rhoads V and looking back it wasn't all that great based on how freaking awkward they are. I've never played a Gibson V so I'm sure they're different...but a solid tele will last you awhile. What styles do you play? Which guitar will fit better with the music you're doing? Are you in a band? (I HATE using appearance as a justified example) But does a V "fit" your band's appearance? These are just things that I would consider in your situation.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
Quote by gerraguitar
I don't really think you can say one is better than the other. They are completely different and one person will prefer one over the other regardless.

+1 it just depends on what you need and prefer more.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

KailM
390 IQ
Those are two completely different designs providing very different tones. (Unless you go out of your way to drastically alter the inherent tone of each).

Tell us what genre of music you play and/or some bands you'd want to sound like and we might be able to help you further.

Personally, I find Vs to be the MOST comfortable design whether standing or sitting. You just can't play them in the "normal" sitting position with the neck parallel to the ground. You have to balance the V on your right leg and angle the neck up into classical position and they're money.

Most Vs tend to be equipped (and I'll take this moment to inform you that Gibson and Epiphone Flying Vs are not the only brands worth considering -- I like my Schecter better than either a Gibson or Epiphone) with humbuckers, are constructed of mahogany, and generally ere more to the tonal side of a Les Paul rather than a Strat or Tele (generally speaking). Teles and Strats tend to have a thinner but clearer sound, and can generate that "twang" (especially Teles) in country and rockabilly music.

So if you play rock, especially heavy rock or metal, I'd go with a V, just because most of them will already be setup for that range of tones.
Last edited by KailM at Mar 31, 2013,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by Raining Kasch
I am SO torn here. I'm in the market for a new guitar. And its definitely either going to be a Tele or a Flying V.
I've tried Telecasters and the higher end ones rule. They stay in tune no matter what tuning I throw at them, the tone seems great (wasn't all that impressed, but it had a nice crunch to it), and it was in my price range.
I've never played a real Flying V before (a working one, anyway), but it's been my farthest reaching dream guitar since I was in the 8th grade.
Functionality VS Awesome Fantasy guitar.
Thoughts on which is better?

try a V and see if you like how it sounds?