Page 3 of 3
Nietsche, good job. It's good that you maintained definitive contours for the melodies. I assume you were trying to write with tonal harmony, so I just have to say there's a lot of room for improvement in that aspect. As for the texture, strive to do something more interesting than those triplets at the beginning for example.

You wrote this in 3/4, but based on those triplets, it makes more sense to do 9/8. You can switch to 3/4 in the trio section.

Trio sections are usually faster and a little more staccato in texture than the main minuet/scherzo. Beethoven has some great ones in his violin sonatas.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
I wouldn't know how to make a more pianistic texture, not entirely sure what that entails.
All of us who wrote for piano here are vastly under-utilizing what the piano is capable of. Study some Romantic piano sonatas and you'll see you can do much more with it and get much more interesting sounds and textures than just basic lines/voices and alberti bass figures.

Could you specify which parts were jarring harmonically so I could be aware of that in the future?
Well, this piece as a whole is not really grounded in functional harmony. Yet at the end of many phrases you have a 5 -> 1, and it's not very consistent with the overall sound.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Thank you for your evaluation Xiaoxi. I will keep what you've said in mind. I'm going to try over the Summer spending a lot more time reading scores to deepen my familiarity with the literature I think.
Quote by Xiaoxi
All of us who wrote for piano here are vastly under-utilizing what the piano is capable of. Study some Romantic piano sonatas and you'll see you can do much more with it and get much more interesting sounds and textures than just basic lines/voices and alberti bass figures.

Well, this piece as a whole is not really grounded in functional harmony. Yet at the end of many phrases you have a 5 -> 1, and it's not very consistent with the overall sound.

Just looked through it again I see what you mean. Now that I think about it, I don't have a lot of ways to end phrases harmony-wise. I suppose I'd better be off to study some Romantic piano sonatas and try to find some more modern composers to look at. Maybe some Frenchmen.

I also have some ideas for a rondo everybody...I think we should do it...
Quote by Duaneclapdrix

I also have some ideas for a rondo everybody...I think we should do it...

Yeah let's do it. **** the police!
We're all alright!
I might write a piano piece after I hand in my composition portfolio (tomorrow)

Should be interesting as I haven't written anything tonal in months
Last edited by griffRG7321 at May 20, 2013,
Quote by Han_Sulu
Anyway, here's an audio link to the overly melodramatic space synth composition that I came up with. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Han_Sulu/

This sounds really cool by the way, good work

Will put up Rondo thread in a couple of days if people are down for that. Will learn from previous experience and keep opening post short and to the point, will not learn from previous experience and retain the OCD alphabetical ordering of participants because fuck the police.
My suggestion is to do an ABA' thread. So similar to this one, but this time the challenge should be to make the two A sections based off of the same material, but not exact or close to exact repeats like this exercise. Basically challenge people to actually develop material they've created.
Jass Rock (my last letter of the alphabet key isn't working well) are you going to make that thread because I missed my chance to do this one and I would like to do something like this.
Whenever I see your user name now I just think of a whole jazz rock band with these faces

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
My suggestion is to do an ABA' thread. So similar to this one, but this time the challenge should be to make the two A sections based off of the same material, but not exact or close to exact repeats like this exercise. Basically challenge people to actually develop material they've created.

This is totes the best idea so far.

P.S. You think your username is bad, count yourself lucky >.<
Mine sucks, it's just my first name followed by the ibanez model I got when I was 16 because I wanted to play KoRn songs
Page 3 of 3